No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Hunter kills wolf in self defense [Re: jk] #8224099
09/27/24 08:41 AM
09/27/24 08:41 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by jk
He still will end up with a lawyers bill. I doubt he gets a pass now a days.......jk

I don't know that the WI-DNR will want to push it , they know we have problem wolves they kill a bunch every year.

they just accepted we have cougar after years of denying it , they seem to have been keeping the wolf number almost unchanged for a long time , there are probably a lot more wolves than they want to admit.

I think this is the second self defense against a wolf with a shotgun this year both very close range with bird shot.

I don't think they want the public to say enough of the wolf lies.

as for kids hunting in a group like that , they had one that was 19 that counts as the adult for the 13 year old.

hunting on your own at 14 with 2 years experience is all that is required in WI

so if you want to grab your shotgun and toss it in the boat and head to the duck blind as long as you took boaters ed and hunters ed at 12 or before and have your 2 years experience , rock on.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Hunter kills wolf in self defense [Re: WI Outdoors] #8224133
09/27/24 10:09 AM
09/27/24 10:09 AM
Nebraska
Trapset Offline
trapper
Trapset  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
If it was a legal act, was he obligated to report it? Is there a statue that requires you to report a legal act?

I think he did the right thing by reporting it, just wondering if he was legally required to.

Re: Hunter kills wolf in self defense [Re: WI Outdoors] #8224135
09/27/24 10:16 AM
09/27/24 10:16 AM
coastal ny
G
gcs Online content
trapper
gcs  Online Content
trapper
G

coastal ny
The wolf kills and the supposed ID of the hunters phone, sounds fishy to me, is that technology even available?
nevertheless, the DNR still has to PROVE who killed the wolf, they can't do it unless they actually witness the shooting, they find you in possession of the kill, or you spill your guts....

Re: Hunter kills wolf in self defense [Re: gcs] #8224142
09/27/24 10:37 AM
09/27/24 10:37 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Online content

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Online Content

W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by gcs
The wolf kills and the supposed ID of the hunters phone, sounds fishy to me, is that technology even available?
nevertheless, the DNR still has to PROVE who killed the wolf, they can't do it unless they actually witness the shooting, they find you in possession of the kill, or you spill your guts....

X2 on the technology.

Mean As Nails
Re: Hunter kills wolf in self defense [Re: WI Outdoors] #8224154
09/27/24 11:10 AM
09/27/24 11:10 AM
Manitoba
Shakeyjake Offline
trapper
Shakeyjake  Offline
trapper

Manitoba
I plugged a blackie with a 300gr pill out of my muzzleloader about 10 years ago. We can shoot 1 wolf with a deer tag, used or not. Shot the front one at about 90yds crossing right to left with 3 other blackies following. The first one rolled and down, the other 3 looked at my blind at the edge of a field and did a sharp 90 heading straight for me with the classic quick trot. At about 30yds they turned towards my quad and gave it a quick sniff and we’re gone in a flash into the brush.
5yds is a bit close….lol. Especially with kids.

Wind Blew, crap flew, out came the line crew
Re: Hunter kills wolf in self defense [Re: WI Outdoors] #8224159
09/27/24 11:18 AM
09/27/24 11:18 AM
WI
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper
WIMarshRAT  Offline
trapper

WI
If a crime is committed, it takes very little time for the Feds to go to the phone carriers and say I want to know every mobile device on this river on this day, they get it.

If you are going to commit a crime, leave your phone at home and let the dog play on it. Better yet, don’t own a mobile phone to begin with.

As far as being charged, I wouldn’t put it past some crazy person. They need to ensure that self defense comes at a steep cost. Lots of examples across the country of this.

Last edited by WIMarshRAT; 09/27/24 11:23 AM.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Re: Hunter kills wolf in self defense [Re: white17] #8224166
09/27/24 11:36 AM
09/27/24 11:36 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by white17
Originally Posted by gcs

X2 on the technology.

I didn't read anything in the story about the phone , but anyone under 30 probably got video of most of it if they weren't the shooter

what technology did I miss?

the spread of the pattern of the 12ga tells all the story that needs to be told, if it is a tight pattern then the wolf is much too close.

any non prohibited person in WI 18 or older can carry a handgun so long as they are not in a school zone.
shotguns have some restrictions about what you can be carrying for shot or in what hunting zone but you are always able to carry a pistol even when bow hunting.
handguns are easier to carry than a long gun and a bow

with the way most people shoot handguns , it would be a close wolf if they hit it , it may not be the best tool but it is an easy one to carry

if you are already carrying a shotgun , that will work.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Hunter kills wolf in self defense [Re: Trapset] #8224167
09/27/24 11:37 AM
09/27/24 11:37 AM
Manitoba
Shakeyjake Offline
trapper
Shakeyjake  Offline
trapper

Manitoba
Originally Posted by Trapset
If it was a legal act, was he obligated to report it? Is there a statue that requires you to report a legal act?

I think he did the right thing by reporting it, just wondering if he was legally required to.

In Manitoba, any game or fur bearer taken out of season has to be reported. I know farmers plug bear all the time, doubt any calls are made. Mr Janzen, the guy who trapped Mbs first cougar did the right thing and reported. DNR came out, tranquilized and collared it, but it opened a huge crap storm on social media.
[video:youtube]https://youtube.com/shorts/xxQBEE_NZNM[/video]

Re: Hunter kills wolf in self defense [Re: 2bit] #8224174
09/27/24 11:52 AM
09/27/24 11:52 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Online content

white17  Online Content

W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

I didn't read anything in the story about the phone , but anyone under 30 probably got video of most of it if they weren't the shooter

what technology did I miss?

It was a response to one of 2bit's posts above Pete.

Originally Posted by 2bit
Originally Posted by Guss
He should of keept his mouth shut never tell your DNR you did something like that not in today world.

Thing is, they have ways of catching you. So if you truly did a justifiable action, you better report it.
There are three guys from Cedarville, Ca that got into a heap of trouble because they each shot a wolf on separate occasions unrelated incidents. Wolves were chipped and they recorded the phone I'd of the poacher when they approached the animal.

I don't believe that the chip in the wolf can record the phone ID of the guy who shot it.

Even with the best of technology the satellite co-ordinates of the wolf might be "off" several yards and any cell tower location of a specific phone is going to be waayyyyyyyyyyyyy off relative to the accuracy of the satellite chip in the wolf. But I could be wrong.

Mean As Nails
Re: Hunter kills wolf in self defense [Re: WI Outdoors] #8224176
09/27/24 11:55 AM
09/27/24 11:55 AM
Nebraska
Trapset Offline
trapper
Trapset  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
A guy shot an Elk in Nebraska around 20 years ago. Wardens ended up tracking him down after several weeks. The guy confessed and went to court. Turns out charges were dropped because at the time there was no Elk season in NE and they weren’t listed as protected or game animal so it fell in a gray area. He didn’t shoot it out of season, because there wasn’t a season. Didn’t shoot a protected critter because it wasn’t listed as protected. Probably didn’t hurt that the shooter was a sheriffs deputy.

I’m just curious if it’s written somewhere in WI law that if you kill a wolf in self defense, you have to report it. Sounds like is written that you are aloud to for self defense. But as it’s written now does it require you notify someone?

Shortly after the elk deal in Nebraska they tightened up the rules on non game etc making it impossible to happen again, legally. If a mountain goat or sheep wandered through ya can’t shoot it even though there is no season.

Re: Hunter kills wolf in self defense [Re: WI Outdoors] #8224185
09/27/24 12:08 PM
09/27/24 12:08 PM
Manitoba
Shakeyjake Offline
trapper
Shakeyjake  Offline
trapper

Manitoba

Re: Hunter kills wolf in self defense [Re: WI Outdoors] #8224199
09/27/24 12:37 PM
09/27/24 12:37 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
in any Legit self defense shoot you want to secure the threat is over or move to safety , then you want to start the report be it person or animal.

take a minute put together your thoughts , then call 911

multiple wolves , closing in , made noise , tried to scare them off , it got so close , I feared and shot

remember you are not allowed warning shots in most cases of self defense , but you are allowed misses.

especially with humans you want to get to the authorities and set the correct events as you recall them before someone else has a chance to tell a false narrative of the events.
in animal cases you want to report it before some other person decides to come to their own story.

your shaken that is understandable so a statement of I feared , shot in self defense and I am willing to cooperate just I need a little time to calm down. if it was a human interaction you probably want a lawyer to be present for anything more.

remember not one of the LE who will be investigating would do any more with out their union rep and council present.

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 09/27/24 12:40 PM.

Re: Hunter kills wolf in self defense [Re: white17] #8224204
09/27/24 12:47 PM
09/27/24 12:47 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by white17

I don't believe that the chip in the wolf can record the phone ID of the guy who shot it.

Even with the best of technology the satellite co-ordinates of the wolf might be "off" several yards and any cell tower location of a specific phone is going to be waayyyyyyyyyyyyy off relative to the accuracy of the satellite chip in the wolf. But I could be wrong.

thanks white for explaining

things like apple air tags can use your phone to send location info.
they can tell what device sent the info

if you had your blue tooth turned off it wouldn't work most phones it gets left on
I have a friend who works emergency management in a city , he has an air tag in every bag , coat , first aid kit.
it is how he gets his gear back from the trunk of a cop car when someone else picks it up.
he is a walking geo ping and doesn't care.

all your newer cars if you can log into the app for the cars tracking you can track exact location. I know a guy who was tracking his wife's location lets say they were having marital problems.

your phone is reporting your location all the time if they pulled cell data and said these 3 phones ping to this area at this time , it would narrow it down , for the investigation

so while the tracking collar or chip on the wolf may not have given them up other things may have contributed to them getting caught.

Re: Hunter kills wolf in self defense [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8224218
09/27/24 01:25 PM
09/27/24 01:25 PM
Nebraska
Trapset Offline
trapper
Trapset  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
in any Legit self defense shoot you want to secure the threat is over or move to safety , then you want to start the report be it person or animal.

take a minute put together your thoughts , then call 911

multiple wolves , closing in , made noise , tried to scare them off , it got so close , I feared and shot

remember you are not allowed warning shots in most cases of self defense , but you are allowed misses.

especially with humans you want to get to the authorities and set the correct events as you recall them before someone else has a chance to tell a false narrative of the events.
in animal cases you want to report it before some other person decides to come to their own story.

your shaken that is understandable so a statement of I feared , shot in self defense and I am willing to cooperate just I need a little time to calm down. if it was a human interaction you probably want a lawyer to be present for anything more.

remember not one of the LE who will be investigating would do any more with out their union rep and council present.

I understand it might be in your best interest to follow the above advice. I’m just wondering if it’s required by law in the specific wolf self defense language in WI. If it is not required, there is no real advantage to reporting it. If whiteness report seeing the event, they are just reporting a legal event.

Re: Hunter kills wolf in self defense [Re: WI Outdoors] #8224225
09/27/24 01:50 PM
09/27/24 01:50 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
From what I found on the WWW anytime a wolf is killed it must be reported. Appears there’s two different numbers too, one for the North and one for the South.

Re: Hunter kills wolf in self defense [Re: Trapset] #8224251
09/27/24 03:13 PM
09/27/24 03:13 PM
WI
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper
WIMarshRAT  Offline
trapper

WI
Originally Posted by Trapset

I understand it might be in your best interest to follow the above advice. I’m just wondering if it’s required by law in the specific wolf self defense language in WI. If it is not required, there is no real advantage to reporting it. If whiteness report seeing the event, they are just reporting a legal event.

I do not believe you are required by law to report killing a wolf in self defense in WI. I can’t find it. Maybe someone will prove me wrong, but I think the best they will find is department encouraging folks to self report. There could be something federal, but I didn’t look.

I remember a lawyer that was in the assembly a number of years ago saying he wouldn’t self report. Not sure how good of a lawyer he was, but…

Last edited by WIMarshRAT; 09/27/24 03:17 PM.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Re: Hunter kills wolf in self defense [Re: WI Outdoors] #8224256
09/27/24 03:19 PM
09/27/24 03:19 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Well he did the right thing. There were at least 3 witnesses and It would have got out In no time and then that young man would have been In real trouble.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Hunter kills wolf in self defense [Re: WI Outdoors] #8224259
09/27/24 03:28 PM
09/27/24 03:28 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
while it doesn't specify public land and I don't know where they were at.
if they state it for private I expect the same to be for public.

(b) On private land, the landowner, lessee or occupant of the land, or any other person with permission of the landowner, lessee or occupant may shoot and kill any gray wolf or cougar in the act of killing, wounding or biting a domestic animal. Shootings shall be reported within 24 hours to a department conservation warden. The carcass of the wolf or cougar shall be turned over to the department.

Wis. Admin. Code Department of Natural Resources NR 10.02

Re: Hunter kills wolf in self defense [Re: The Beav] #8224262
09/27/24 03:33 PM
09/27/24 03:33 PM
WI
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper
WIMarshRAT  Offline
trapper

WI
Originally Posted by The Beav
Well he did the right thing. There were at least 3 witnesses and It would have got out In no time and then that young man would have been In real trouble.

Totally agree. Doing the right thing doesn’t mean only following the law.

But a question was asked about the law. I just can’t find it in state statute.

On the other hand, if you have a hunting accident and shoot your neighbor, you better report it. Even if he says nah, it is just a flesh wound. The law clearly states it in 29.341(1)
29.341(2) tells you consequences of failure.

Re: Hunter kills wolf in self defense [Re: WI Outdoors] #8224264
09/27/24 03:38 PM
09/27/24 03:38 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Too bad this wasn't covered under mandatory Hunter Ed, so all you guys that had it, could educate us uneducated. smile

Who is John Galt?
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread