No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
To kill or not to kill? #8244654
2 hours ago
2 hours ago
Midlands South Carolina
S
SGT. C Offline OP
trapper
SGT. C  Offline OP
trapper
S

Midlands South Carolina
A smart doe. I have an older doe that makes a wide loop around my stand. She knows not to come in closer. Can I shoot her. Yes, she does present opportunities. But she is a good momma producing every year.
Hate to kill her and take out good breeding stock.
There are many others to take. Right now I'm hunting bucks, rut is coming. Already killed two nice bucks. Thinking with all the does I have in the area. Got to lure in another big boy soon.
So, what are your thoughts? Kill or not to kill her.

Sarge

Getting old is a fatal mistake

Always looking for reloading componets

I know a beaver or two, because I've seen a beaver or two
Re: To kill or not to kill? [Re: SGT. C] #8244656
2 hours ago
2 hours ago
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
You answered your own question when you wrote, "Hate to kill her and take out good breeding stock."

Eh...wot?

Re: To kill or not to kill? [Re: SGT. C] #8244664
2 hours ago
2 hours ago
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Now I know it makes little to no difference for the ones that can’t help making Captain Obvious statements on here but this is my preferred approach to taking does.

I don’t shoot a doe if a yearling is present if a lone doe comes by that’s one I’ll consider she could be a dry doe or lost a fawn somehow I just don’t need a deer that bad. I don’t need to shoot the first doe that comes along that I know is producing future deer plus I get to hunt longer I’m in no hurry.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: To kill or not to kill? [Re: SGT. C] #8244665
2 hours ago
2 hours ago
western mn
B
bucksnbears Offline
trapper
bucksnbears  Offline
trapper
B

western mn
Old smart does can make your life miseable.

swampgas chili and schmidt beer makes for a deadly combo

You have to remember that 1 out of 3 Democratic Voters is just as dumb as the other two.
Re: To kill or not to kill? [Re: SGT. C] #8244666
2 hours ago
2 hours ago
WI
WI Outdoors Offline
trapper
WI Outdoors  Offline
trapper

WI
Shoot what makes you happy.

FREE MARTY!
Re: To kill or not to kill? [Re: SGT. C] #8244669
2 hours ago
2 hours ago
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Reminds of a meme of a huge overweight buck and it reads, “ no way I’m shooting that thing and dragging it out!” That’s where I’m at now. wink

Jerry Herbst
Re: To kill or not to kill? [Re: SGT. C] #8244676
2 hours ago
2 hours ago
Midlands South Carolina
S
SGT. C Offline OP
trapper
SGT. C  Offline OP
trapper
S

Midlands South Carolina
Yep, could have shot her last night. But she has two deer with her. But to be honest, didn't have the energy or desire to load her up. Now, a big buck seems to always get the adrenaline pumping. Already killed two nice bucks. So I can be patient that my season last until January 1st.

Re: To kill or not to kill? [Re: SGT. C] #8244678
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
Midlands South Carolina
S
SGT. C Offline OP
trapper
SGT. C  Offline OP
trapper
S

Midlands South Carolina
Law Dog, I learned my lesson about 4 years ago on a 185 pound 8 point. I hunt alone and somehow managed to load him by myself and at my age. I paid the price for about two weeks with my back.
So, I researched and found a solution. I use a hand crank/platform made by I believe is Viking lift. Just three pieces that go together in two minutes in my receiver and take about apart in less then half. Worth every penny. Not cheap, but a chiropractor isn't either.

Re: To kill or not to kill? [Re: SGT. C] #8244679
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Had a doe go under my stand years back in a little draw I could have easily spit on her she was that close to my ladder, behind her in tow was 3 button bucks my first thought was buck factory! She’s the safest deer from me ever.

Jerry Herbst
Re: To kill or not to kill? [Re: SGT. C] #8244681
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Originally Posted by SGT. C
Law Dog, I learned my lesson about 4 years ago on a 185 pound 8 point. I hunt alone and somehow managed to load him by myself and at my age. I paid the price for about two weeks with my back.
So, I researched and found a solution. I use a hand crank/platform made by I believe is Viking lift. Just three pieces that go together in two minutes in my receiver and take about apart in less then half. Worth every penny. Not cheap, but a chiropractor isn't either.

Been there using ratchet straps to work a buck into a small SUV it’s like loading a sack of jello if you can’t tie off to it. LOL That elk this year and the way the rental schedule worked was 2 long days and nights that really set me back for a few weeks my butt was dragging.

Jerry Herbst
Re: To kill or not to kill? [Re: SGT. C] #8244692
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
coastal ny
G
gcs Offline
trapper
gcs  Offline
trapper
G

coastal ny
My 2 cents and that's all it's worth, I'd give her a pass

Re: To kill or not to kill? [Re: SGT. C] #8244694
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Online shocked
trapper
Gary Benson  Online Shocked
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Coyotes have to eat too.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: To kill or not to kill? [Re: SGT. C] #8244701
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
MINN
H
HILLTOP TRAPPER Offline
trapper
HILLTOP TRAPPER  Offline
trapper
H

MINN
i passed a big doe every year that pumped out twins every year,for about 3-4 years,THEN she became my nemisis,she would bust me and let every other deer know,those old does are SMART,if she wouldve gave me a shot the last couple years i wouldve taken it,she ended up getting hit on the road nearby.good riddance.they can become a problem

U GOTTA DO WHAT U GOTTA DO CAUSE IT IS WHAT IT IS....AINT NOTHIN WRONG WITH QUIET
Re: To kill or not to kill? [Re: SGT. C] #8244707
57 minutes ago
57 minutes ago
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
Shoot and eat. Plenty of does you say

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: To kill or not to kill? [Re: SGT. C] #8244709
55 minutes ago
55 minutes ago
coastal ny
G
gcs Offline
trapper
gcs  Offline
trapper
G

coastal ny
LOL, a whopper buck is smart and a challenge and is highly thought of.... an old smart doe is a PITA.... I get it, y'all want stupid deer.... grin

Re: To kill or not to kill? [Re: SGT. C] #8244711
53 minutes ago
53 minutes ago
Va
S
Spike369 Offline
trapper
Spike369  Offline
trapper
S

Va
I got a doe that has figured out how to keep 2 fawns alive every year for the last three years. I won't shoot her and I pray the hunt clubs won't either. They run dogs so you just never know, even on your own property. Got 2 giant bucks that I don't know how they keep from getting killed every year. The hunt clubs run dogs thru his home range at least 20 times a year. Deer are smart. They somehow figure out how to survive.

Re: To kill or not to kill? [Re: SGT. C] #8244713
48 minutes ago
48 minutes ago
AR
T
TurkeyWrangler Offline
trapper
TurkeyWrangler  Offline
trapper
T

AR
I had an old doe that would hunt me down know matter where I went on the farm. When she found me she would let everyone know. I think she listened for the back door to close. lol Anyway, I was tickled when I out smarted her.

Re: To kill or not to kill? [Re: Gary Benson] #8244717
46 minutes ago
46 minutes ago
Midlands South Carolina
S
SGT. C Offline OP
trapper
SGT. C  Offline OP
trapper
S

Midlands South Carolina
Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Coyotes have to eat too.

Yep, your right they do. Fortunate the last two seasons. Logging operations have moved them to other grounds. But the deer have flourished.
I figure a doe that can stay alive for 3 or 4 years knows a thing or two how avoid being eaten by yotes.

Re: To kill or not to kill? [Re: HILLTOP TRAPPER] #8244720
42 minutes ago
42 minutes ago
Midlands South Carolina
S
SGT. C Offline OP
trapper
SGT. C  Offline OP
trapper
S

Midlands South Carolina
Originally Posted by HILLTOP TRAPPER
i passed a big doe every year that pumped out twins every year,for about 3-4 years,THEN she became my nemisis,she would bust me and let every other deer know,those old does are SMART,if she wouldve gave me a shot the last couple years i wouldve taken it,she ended up getting hit on the road nearby.good riddance.they can become a problem

Yep, last night she circled around and came from the rear. For 20 minutes she kept blowing. Couldn't see me. But she smelled me or the thermacell( yes, they do put out a scent)

Re: To kill or not to kill? [Re: SGT. C] #8244731
32 minutes ago
32 minutes ago
MINN
H
HILLTOP TRAPPER Offline
trapper
HILLTOP TRAPPER  Offline
trapper
H

MINN
Originally Posted by SGT. C
Originally Posted by HILLTOP TRAPPER

Yep, last night she circled around and came from the rear. For 20 minutes she kept blowing. Couldn't see me. But she smelled me or the thermacell( yes, they do put out a scent)

im totally against shooting does with fawns(thats just me)but that old girl wouldve got it just because of the problems she was causing.your call for sure,just remember shes only gonna get smarter

U GOTTA DO WHAT U GOTTA DO CAUSE IT IS WHAT IT IS....AINT NOTHIN WRONG WITH QUIET
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread