No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter


Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum ~ Live Chat

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum


~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~


Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products


Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Cable restraint help [Re: backroadsarcher] #8309404
01/11/25 06:38 PM
01/11/25 06:38 PM
Joined: Jun 2010
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Joined: Jun 2010
Iowa
Originally Posted by backroadsarcher
I like the idea of a split shot for your max loop stop, cheap and easy but the deer stop would work also. Something that doesn't crimp the cable.

They won't stay on the cable after a catch so you'll likely get a ticket if the warden sees it after a catch,

Re: Cable restraint help [Re: Giant Sage] #8309413
01/11/25 06:45 PM
01/11/25 06:45 PM
Joined: Dec 2011
ND
grumley701 Offline
trapper
grumley701  Offline
trapper

Joined: Dec 2011
ND
Originally Posted by Giant Sage
JEckman,
Where do you get the barrel swivels.


Snare One has them.


Pure Blood
Re: Cable restraint help [Re: elsmasho82] #8309431
01/11/25 07:00 PM
01/11/25 07:00 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
SEPA
L
Lugnut Online content
trapper
Lugnut  Online Content
trapper
L

Joined: Dec 2006
SEPA
Originally Posted by elsmasho82
[Linked Image]


My restraints came with a deer stop which I have crimped down at the appropriate length, but did not come with a maximum opening stop. In our state it, the loop cannot be any larger than 12 inches in diameter, or about 38 inches down the cable….to the right of the relaxing lock. I have ferrules and stops but how do I get one on there now without disassembling the whole thing?

Sorry I’m stupid about this kind of thing


Consider buying PA compliant CR's next time and save yourself the headache.

I believe I got mine from Newt Sterling at Snare One last time.


Eh...wot?

Re: Cable restraint help [Re: ] #8309433
01/11/25 07:02 PM
01/11/25 07:02 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Joined: Dec 2006
Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted by Seldom
Originally Posted by Spike369
Wow those are tough solutions. Ours can't be over 12 in either. I cut me a 12 in stick and marked 10" for coyote 8" for bobcat.

LMAO, for goodness sake just mark the dang cable and hang it on the frigin mark! It’s not rocket science!


If theres a max loop limit, marking the cable does nothing for you.



Re: Cable restraint help [Re: elsmasho82] #8309457
01/11/25 07:17 PM
01/11/25 07:17 PM
Joined: Jan 2023
Pennsylvania
elsmasho82 Offline OP
trapper
elsmasho82  Offline OP
trapper

Joined: Jan 2023
Pennsylvania
Lugnut, I really think now that I have one in front of me, I can consider making them myself! I just couldn’t wrap my mind around how they actually work.

Re: Cable restraint help [Re: elsmasho82] #8309485
01/11/25 07:41 PM
01/11/25 07:41 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
SEPA
L
Lugnut Online content
trapper
Lugnut  Online Content
trapper
L

Joined: Dec 2006
SEPA
Good for you smash.

I don't use them often enough to make it worth my while building them. I like the convenience of ordering PA compliant ones.

Maybe I'll buy my next CR's from you. grin


Eh...wot?

Re: Cable restraint help [Re: elsmasho82] #8309489
01/11/25 07:47 PM
01/11/25 07:47 PM
Joined: Jan 2023
Pennsylvania
elsmasho82 Offline OP
trapper
elsmasho82  Offline OP
trapper

Joined: Jan 2023
Pennsylvania
Ha! I ain’t tried them yet but I figured I would get them set up.
I need to think about stuff an awful lot before I put it into practice. Don’t seem to be able to grasp new ideas as quickly

Re: Cable restraint help [Re: elsmasho82] #8309509
01/11/25 08:15 PM
01/11/25 08:15 PM
Joined: Jan 2023
Pennsylvania
elsmasho82 Offline OP
trapper
elsmasho82  Offline OP
trapper

Joined: Jan 2023
Pennsylvania
My problem specifically is that the CR is already assembled and I had to figure out how to put a max opening stop on without cutting off the existing bottom stop and swivel and threading a new stop on. But that ended up being the most simple thing to do for me….as I didn’t have extra wire and the split shot idea could prove a problem if they came off.
It’s okay everyone, perhaps I didn’t explain it well enough
Thank you all for your help!

Re: Cable restraint help [Re: elsmasho82] #8309517
01/11/25 08:18 PM
01/11/25 08:18 PM
Joined: Jan 2023
Pennsylvania
elsmasho82 Offline OP
trapper
elsmasho82  Offline OP
trapper

Joined: Jan 2023
Pennsylvania
Yes. 38 inches down the cable or 12 inches in diameter.

A nice fella on here sold me some.
I’d have to look back in my mailbox to see who it was. Said the lock was PA approved.

Re: Cable restraint help [Re: elsmasho82] #8309518
01/11/25 08:19 PM
01/11/25 08:19 PM
Joined: Jan 2023
Pennsylvania
elsmasho82 Offline OP
trapper
elsmasho82  Offline OP
trapper

Joined: Jan 2023
Pennsylvania
We have to have a deer stop and a max loop stop. From what I read on the course

Re: Cable restraint help [Re: elsmasho82] #8309520
01/11/25 08:19 PM
01/11/25 08:19 PM
Joined: Jan 2023
Pennsylvania
elsmasho82 Offline OP
trapper
elsmasho82  Offline OP
trapper

Joined: Jan 2023
Pennsylvania
I have a headache ha ha ha ha

Re: Cable restraint help [Re: elsmasho82] #8309536
01/11/25 08:35 PM
01/11/25 08:35 PM
Joined: Dec 2019
Iowa
C
CTRAPS Offline
trapper
CTRAPS  Offline
trapper
C

Joined: Dec 2019
Iowa
Originally Posted by elsmasho82
I have a headache ha ha ha ha



Oh, so there was some rocket science involved after all.  grin


Life Member: ITA, IBA, MTA & NRA. Member of SA, FTA & NTA
Re: Cable restraint help [Re: elsmasho82] #8309543
01/11/25 08:41 PM
01/11/25 08:41 PM
Joined: Oct 2024
Kansas
S
someGuyInKansas Offline
trapper
someGuyInKansas  Offline
trapper
S

Joined: Oct 2024
Kansas
I know nothing about snares, but if the goal is just to make it obvious it cannot be opened more than 12 inches, why not just put a wire rope clamp on it as a stop?
sample

less than $1, installs in 10 seconds, adjustable, and if you can take it off and reuse it later if you want.


-Joe
Re: Cable restraint help [Re: CTRAPS] #8309544
01/11/25 08:42 PM
01/11/25 08:42 PM
Joined: Jan 2020
Aliceville, Kansas 45
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Joined: Jan 2020
Aliceville, Kansas 45
Originally Posted by CTRAPS
Originally Posted by elsmasho82
I have a headache ha ha ha ha



Oh, so there was some rocket science involved after all.  grin

Nah, ElChucko is just in the mood.


Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: Cable restraint help [Re: elsmasho82] #8309549
01/11/25 08:50 PM
01/11/25 08:50 PM
Joined: Jan 2023
Pennsylvania
elsmasho82 Offline OP
trapper
elsmasho82  Offline OP
trapper

Joined: Jan 2023
Pennsylvania
I’ve NEVER used that excuse and wouldn’t want to ,Yukon!!!

Re: Cable restraint help [Re: someGuyInKansas] #8309550
01/11/25 08:50 PM
01/11/25 08:50 PM
Joined: Jan 2023
Pennsylvania
elsmasho82 Offline OP
trapper
elsmasho82  Offline OP
trapper

Joined: Jan 2023
Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by someGuyInKansas
I know nothing about snares, but if the goal is just to make it obvious it cannot be opened more than 12 inches, why not just put a wire rope clamp on it as a stop?
sample

less than $1, installs in 10 seconds, adjustable, and if you can take it off and reuse it later if you want.



Genius!!!

Re: Cable restraint help [Re: elsmasho82] #8309566
01/11/25 09:01 PM
01/11/25 09:01 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Joined: Dec 2006
Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted by elsmasho82



Update; and you have to use a heavy gauge wire support to hold up the CR!!! How is THAT thing not considered an entanglement risk?!


support wire is a nonfactor for entanglement.



Re: Cable restraint help [Re: someGuyInKansas] #8309572
01/11/25 09:06 PM
01/11/25 09:06 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Joined: Dec 2006
Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted by someGuyInKansas
I know nothing about snares, but if the goal is just to make it obvious it cannot be opened more than 12 inches, why not just put a wire rope clamp on it as a stop?
sample

less than $1, installs in 10 seconds, adjustable, and if you can take it off and reuse it later if you want.

Takes all of 20 seconds to take the end of a piece of 16/14/11 gauge wire, bend it over into a C with a pair of needle nose pliers, cut the C off the wire and crimp the C onto the snare. Plus it would not nearly be as heavy, bulky and shiny as a cable clamp..



Re: Cable restraint help [Re: elsmasho82] #8309580
01/11/25 09:13 PM
01/11/25 09:13 PM
Joined: Jan 2020
Aliceville, Kansas 45
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Joined: Jan 2020
Aliceville, Kansas 45
Originally Posted by elsmasho82
I’ve NEVER used that excuse and wouldn’t want to ,Yukon!!!

grin


Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: Cable restraint help [Re: elsmasho82] #8309681
01/11/25 10:45 PM
01/11/25 10:45 PM
Joined: Nov 2012
Frazee, MN
B
backroadsarcher Offline
trapper
backroadsarcher  Offline
trapper
B

Joined: Nov 2012
Frazee, MN
For your convenience smash just make them or order them to your states requirements. One and done. After a catch save the parts and have purchased parts to build more. Snare building is cheap especially if you already have the parts..

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread