Strictly Trapping


No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter


Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum


~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~


Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)



TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum



Print Thread
Hop To
Trap bed coverings #8660638
09/13/26 06:26 PM
09/13/26 06:26 PM
Joined: Mar 2011
williams,mn
trapper les Offline OP
trapper
trapper les  Offline OP
trapper

Joined: Mar 2011
williams,mn
[Linked Image]
Every year…usually…I corral a pile of these semi-mulched box elder leaves and lawn clippings and dry them out a little more…comes in handy some places for blending.

I use the mower to circle things and make the pile.

Last edited by trapper les; 09/13/26 06:28 PM.

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
Re: Trap bed coverings [Re: trapper les] #8660731
09/13/26 07:51 PM
09/13/26 07:51 PM
Joined: Nov 2012
Frazee, MN
B
backroadsarcher Offline
trapper
backroadsarcher  Offline
trapper
B

Joined: Nov 2012
Frazee, MN
That stuff works well Les especially in flat sets. And if it stays dry. Just cut grass and going let it dry good and bag some up myself.

Re: Trap bed coverings [Re: trapper les] #8661913
09/16/26 06:46 AM
09/16/26 06:46 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
Central Susquehanna Valley
H
Hern Offline
trapper
Hern  Offline
trapper
H

Joined: Dec 2006
Central Susquehanna Valley
Nice job, Les.
I collect material went it's dry.

An abandoned dam near our home gets mowed once or twice a year.
I'll rake up dried hayledge-
[Linked Image]

At home, I mow this hayledge.
I like it smaller-
[Linked Image]

I have a bagger on mower at home. I collect leaves (for trap covering) when they are dry-
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Trap bed coverings [Re: backroadsarcher] #8661924
09/16/26 07:07 AM
09/16/26 07:07 AM
Joined: Oct 2009
east central WI
k snow Offline
trapper
k snow  Offline
trapper

Joined: Oct 2009
east central WI
Originally Posted by backroadsarcher
That stuff works well Les especially in flat sets. And if it stays dry. Just cut grass and going let it dry good and bag some up myself.


I've done this the last few weeks cutting grass. My lawn has little windrows every weekend. Turn em over once or twice, then bag them up.


"in the midst of a savage wilderness to depend entirely upon their unassisted strength and hardihood"
Re: Trap bed coverings [Re: trapper les] #8665744
09/23/26 08:53 AM
09/23/26 08:53 AM
Joined: Jul 2018
USA
T
TheCoyotero Offline
trapper
TheCoyotero  Offline
trapper
T

Joined: Jul 2018
USA
I have found that dried Bermuda grass works great in my area for blending flat sets in grassy areas.

I do also keep a bag of mulched and dried leaves when I get around field edges that have a lot of leaves on the ground.


Sit with warriors. The conversation is different.
- F&AM -
Re: Trap bed coverings [Re: trapper les] #8667187
09/26/26 05:49 PM
09/26/26 05:49 PM
Joined: Aug 2014
McCurtain Co. Oklahoma
O
OKforester Offline
trapper
OKforester  Offline
trapper
O

Joined: Aug 2014
McCurtain Co. Oklahoma
Most of the grass/leaves clipping are still a little course for me. Has anyone ever tried running that through a grinder to get it a little finer?

Re: Trap bed coverings [Re: OKforester] #8667243
09/26/26 07:54 PM
09/26/26 07:54 PM
Joined: Mar 2011
williams,mn
trapper les Offline OP
trapper
trapper les  Offline OP
trapper

Joined: Mar 2011
williams,mn
Originally Posted by OKforester
Most of the grass/leaves clipping are still a little course for me. Has anyone ever tried running that through a grinder to get it a little finer?

Mow it more than once…I just keep moving the windrow with the mower.


"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
Re: Trap bed coverings [Re: OKforester] #8667404
Yesterday at 06:45 AM
Yesterday at 06:45 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
Central Susquehanna Valley
H
Hern Offline
trapper
Hern  Offline
trapper
H

Joined: Dec 2006
Central Susquehanna Valley
Originally Posted by OKforester
Has anyone ever tried running that through a grinder to get it a little finer?
Small hammer mill works. I'm happy with mowing once.
If you want fine stuff, sweep floor where hay is stored. The sweepings are very fine.
As far as hayledge or buying hay... straw diameter is too large for me. Timothy hay is small diameter, chopped/mowed is finer and works well in blending & covering set in my area.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter 

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1