No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Tomato growers ? [Re: hippie] #7827835
03/23/23 09:21 PM
03/23/23 09:21 PM
Ohio
T
TrapperEric Offline
trapper
TrapperEric  Offline
trapper
T

Ohio
I grow staked tomatoes commercially we do not prune them . We have in years past but found little to no difference in size or quality. Out of all the varieties we grow I recommend red duece it's definitely one of our favorites.

Re: Tomato growers ? [Re: hippie] #7827860
03/23/23 09:47 PM
03/23/23 09:47 PM
MT
S
snowy Offline
trapper
snowy  Offline
trapper
S

MT
Just took a picture of the plants I started a couple weeks ago. As far as pruning have been doing it but not sure it makes a whole bunch of difference in production or quality that I can tell. I like to prune some just to be able to find the fruit and to control them some or they can get pretty wild.
[Linked Image]

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: Tomato growers ? [Re: hippie] #7827866
03/23/23 09:55 PM
03/23/23 09:55 PM
Missouri
O
Osagian Offline
trapper
Osagian  Offline
trapper
O

Missouri
Do you guys have any trouble planting tomatoes in the same place every year or do you move your tomato area around in the garden? I've been told you are asking for blight if you plant in the same area ever year and I tend to believe it. But, my garden area is not that big and don't have a lot of choice.

Re: Tomato growers ? [Re: Osagian] #7827920
03/23/23 10:58 PM
03/23/23 10:58 PM
MT
S
snowy Offline
trapper
snowy  Offline
trapper
S

MT
Originally Posted by Osagian
Do you guys have any trouble planting tomatoes in the same place every year or do you move your tomato area around in the garden? I've been told you are asking for blight if you plant in the same area ever year and I tend to believe it. But, my garden area is not that big and don't have a lot of choice.

I'm in the same scenario as you and not a large area for garden. I pretty much plant in the same spot about every year. I don't seem to have any diseases. It seems like I get 3 to 6 blossom rot one each year but is about it. That is a problem that can be remedied.

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: Tomato growers ? [Re: KeithC] #7828574
03/24/23 08:22 PM
03/24/23 08:22 PM
ohio
Ohio Wolverine Offline
trapper
Ohio Wolverine  Offline
trapper

ohio
Originally Posted by KeithC
Copper sulphate based, fruit tree sprays will kill the fungi that attack tomato plants, including leaf spot mold. Adding calcium will help with blossom end rot. I just put egg shells in with the tomato plants for calcium.

You can buy tomatoes at auction at their peak, cheaper than you can grow them, so I plant a few plants for everyday use and buy large amounts of tomatoes for a nickel a pound, or less at an Amish produce auction for canning.

Keith

I like a garden , and being able to pick fresh vegetables when ever I want when they're in season.
I too live near an Amish produce auction .
You're right , it's cheaper and less work .
Although I can pick 4-6 bushels of green beans ( blue lake ) off a double row 16 feet long over the season.
Back breaking any more.
used to put up enough tomatoes and green beans , jalapeno peppers , bell peppers, carrots, beets, pickles , you name it that would last for more than a year depending on the harvest.
Some times a good deal would be canned to last for years.

We have met the enemy and the enemy is us!
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread