No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Shotgun-sidelock or boxlock? [Re: Paul D. Heppner] #7832258
03/28/23 09:43 PM
03/28/23 09:43 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline OP
trapper
Posco  Offline OP
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by Paul D. Heppner
Guilty to some extent. I figured they were both English built. Wasn't sure at all about the Army Navy. But I had a suspicion on the William Evans. The decorative file work on the rear of the balls was a good indication who the maker could be. Most of the builders have their own subtle little flairs. A good friend of mine, an Englishman, has a couple Wm Powell guns that have embellishments that I recognize on other Powell guns. His guns are also in the 6 pound range with 30 inch barrels and choked in a like fashion. One open, 1/4 choke, the other rather tight, 3/4 and full. If I remember correctly they both have 2 1/2 inch chambers. By comparison my A grade Ansley H. Fox is a boat anchor at a hair over 7 1/2 pounds. It's choked skeet, .005, and light modified, .015. I use it on farm pheasants and chukars to great effect. My Fox was built in 1910/1911.

You know your guns, that was obvious to me. I've owned multiple American doubles over the years and they were all well made guns. Parker. A.H. Fox, Ithaca. LC Smith and others. All excellent American made guns. It's not a fair comparison to lay them aside British doubles no matter what Teddy Roosevelt thought.

Re: Shotgun-sidelock or boxlock? [Re: Posco] #7832276
03/28/23 10:05 PM
03/28/23 10:05 PM
Hilton, NY
P
Paul D. Heppner Offline
trapper
Paul D. Heppner  Offline
trapper
P

Hilton, NY
Posco, I agree whole heartedly. The English best made doubles are sheer joy to use. I just don't have the nerve to put the modern day ammo thru one. For the most part they were built for the low pressure loads of days gone by. Heck even the modern day loads from Game Bore, Hull, and others are pretty stout loads. The light English side x side guns will certainly let you know when you hit the trigger.

Re: Shotgun-sidelock or boxlock? [Re: Posco] #7832284
03/28/23 10:09 PM
03/28/23 10:09 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Beautiful

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Shotgun-sidelock or boxlock? [Re: Posco] #7832288
03/28/23 10:11 PM
03/28/23 10:11 PM
ohio
T
tomahawker Offline
trapper
tomahawker  Offline
trapper
T

ohio
Nice! Love the straight stock

Re: Shotgun-sidelock or boxlock? [Re: Paul D. Heppner] #7832295
03/28/23 10:23 PM
03/28/23 10:23 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline OP
trapper
Posco  Offline OP
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by Paul D. Heppner
Posco, I agree whole heartedly. The English best made doubles are sheer joy to use. I just don't have the nerve to put the modern day ammo thru one. For the most part they were built for the low pressure loads of days gone by. Heck even the modern day loads from Game Bore, Hull, and others are pretty stout loads. The light English side x side guns will certainly let you know when you hit the trigger.

I had an awful time finding load data for 2 1/2" shells. Stuff that didn't generate a lot of pressure. I finally did and it's well under what the gun/s are proofed for. It's really more of an issue of recoil straining a hundred year old stock. That's my primary concern.

Thanks fellas for appreciating the gun.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread