Lures, Bait and Urine Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
private maker vs. commercial lure/bait debate.. #1094363
01/03/09 03:03 PM
01/03/09 03:03 PM
western oregon
T
trap runner Offline OP
trapper
trap runner  Offline OP
trapper
T

western oregon
i have been wanting to give this post a whirl for several reasons and i hope it does not turn into the " what is the best bait for ???" i also do not want this post to turn into a bashing post of any one person or the "i've been trapping for ???? yrs" therefore it is gospel. we all know there are some very talented individuals on this site so it should be left at that and that there are also some new tappers that are doing well.

now when it comes to the commercial lures i've bougth i have to say that i have been a little dissapointed for a couple of reasons. the first is the inconsistancy in smell. i took several hrs one day with another tman member and we started comparing the smells of the lures and baits we had bought from the commercial vendors. we compared 18 different lures and we had 36 different smells.....also we had several different lures that smelled virtually identical. now before i go any farther with that being said........ how can i rely on a products performance from year to year.
another reason for being a little dissapointed is that in the area i trap i have not had very good success with the commercial stuff...... i can almost read it now location, location,, location, which is no doubt fundamental in trapping but wouldn't or shouldn't a GREAT lure or bait help over come all the things that even the best tappers fail at when making sets.
i have also been using bait and lure from tasteslikechicken and huntinglonewolf which are tman members and have had very good success with their products, matter of fact i have caught all but 1 predator with there stuff this year and i have been setting 50/50 with private makers and commercial makers. one thing i noticed about there bait and lure is that its smell is like nothing i have bought from a commercial vendor... the bait doesn't have that classic taint smell but an ....... easy, edible smell. the bait that tlc makes is a potpouri of smells that keeps you guessing as to what is in it and it works well, i've made 3 sets with and caught a bobcat and a fox and have had no grinners in the sets LOL....
huntinglonewolfes all call cat and yote lures smell like a cat or k-9 which i would think should be the name of the game, i've made 5 sets with his product and have caught 3 yotes and a cat. there is no skunky smell which IMO here where i'm at is worthless.

i am not giving up on the commercial baits and lures but from what i've seen they cannot and do not hold a candle to the two private baits i've been using. it could be my locations are not exact, it could be that the wind was not right, maybe the other sets had some contamination bla! bla! bla! but the fact of the matter is these two guys baits and lures have overcome those things if any and filled the steel.

oh yeah!! for the 1.5 bridger guys (or the haters) the cat i caught yesterday was caught in a bridger 1.5.......no anchored in it! i took some advice that most find controversial and moved the trap to the lip of the hole and caught her high by both front feet, i honestly didn't think that you could fit two cat feet in a 1.5 LOL....... as for the bait in the hole it was tasteslikechicken in the hole and cat lure from huntinglonewolf of the backing.

Last edited by trap runner; 01/03/09 03:05 PM.
Re: private maker vs. commercial lure/bait debate.. [Re: trap runner] #1094405
01/03/09 03:23 PM
01/03/09 03:23 PM
Pa
PAFOXTRAPPER55 Offline
trapper
PAFOXTRAPPER55  Offline
trapper

Pa
ouch...my eyes and brain! Thats alot of writing!

Heck, use whatever works. I think that lure from a private maker would definitly be better, obiously its made with some TLC and the lure maker would take much pride in his product, where I can see a commercial lure maker maybe getting a bit sloppy on the quality and more interested in the quanity of the lure he is making.
bottom line...use what works!
goodluck

Re: private maker vs. commercial lure/bait debate.. [Re: PAFOXTRAPPER55] #1094434
01/03/09 03:38 PM
01/03/09 03:38 PM
western oregon
T
trap runner Offline OP
trapper
trap runner  Offline OP
trapper
T

western oregon
yes it is alot of typing LOL....

i also feel that you would have much tighter control when the product being sold is not being produced in massive volumes and i agree use what works.
but say for a maybe a new trapper or if in an area that sees alot of pressure why not try something new and completely different or maybe even an experienced trapper changing it up a bit.

Re: private maker vs. commercial lure/bait debate.. [Re: trap runner] #1094461
01/03/09 03:51 PM
01/03/09 03:51 PM
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

There are other variables that can affect success with different lures.

An example is one I've stated on here many times in the past. Dad was a pretty decent trapper, however, he could not get Carman's lures to produce for him. Its not because the lure inferior, because it has been a proven producer for many trappers over the years. I had great success with Carman's lures. This was trapping in the same places, not separate areas.

Dad had great success with Stechnecki Lures, and I couldn't do squat with them. Again, it wasn't the lure that caused the difference.

What's the answer? I dunno. Dad and I discussed it at length and we couldn't come up with a solution.

In my opinion, commercial lure makers will have more consistant lures, because they are done in large quantities with the same sources for the ingredients, year after year. Making small batches of lures makes it difficult to reproduce the same smell, color and viscosity batch after batch. Small variations in quantities of an ingredient will have a larger affect on the lure's smell, color and consistancy. Therefore, small batches require very precise measuring to make one batch just like the previous batches.

There's my couple of cents - lol.

Re: private maker vs. commercial lure/bait debate.. [Re: Paul Dobbins] #1094549
01/03/09 04:30 PM
01/03/09 04:30 PM
western oregon
T
trap runner Offline OP
trapper
trap runner  Offline OP
trapper
T

western oregon
that is very intersting for one person to have success with a certain lure and another might as well throw it away.

but for conversation sake i guess i can't imagine how making 1,000 cakes would be more consistant than say making 10. i work in a production environment and although the product has great consistancy the perameters are larger due to the different variables that go into the products, but i would suppose for this to be true for the two different items being produced we should compare apples to apples.

Re: private maker vs. commercial lure/bait debate.. [Re: Paul Dobbins] #1094550
01/03/09 04:31 PM
01/03/09 04:31 PM
Oregon
TasteLikeChicken Offline
trapper
TasteLikeChicken  Offline
trapper

Oregon

It's just like buying sausage or beer. Some guys like store bought....some swear by gourmet brands...others make their own. Everyone has their favorite.

For me.... it's simple...I use what works BEST for me. That's why I developed those lures you are using. They outproduced the "factory made" lures hands down...in my applications.

Glad you are enjoying my products and they are producing for you!

Sack Punch Beaver Lure
http://www.tlclures.co.nr/
Re: private maker vs. commercial lure/bait debate.. [Re: TasteLikeChicken] #1094621
01/03/09 05:06 PM
01/03/09 05:06 PM
De
C
coop Offline
trapper
coop  Offline
trapper
C

De
I think certain lures can be made by virtually anyone, like a red fox gland lure. I also think certain blended lures, example: Asa's All Call lures, need a pretty disciplined formula to produce the same texture and smell year after year... just my 2 cents. I make some and buy some, both work.

Re: private maker vs. commercial lure/bait debate.. [Re: coop] #1094902
01/03/09 07:00 PM
01/03/09 07:00 PM
Wyoming
huntinglonewolf Offline
trapper
huntinglonewolf  Offline
trapper

Wyoming
I use my own lures and bait as I have tried serveral right beside them and always have better luck with mine then anyone elses. I for one no what's in mine. trap runner sounds like you are doing good. Here is another cat I picked up today with my bait and cat gland lure.

"Oh make no mistake, it’s not revenge I'm after—It’s a reckoning":

Re: private maker vs. commercial lure/bait debate.. [Re: huntinglonewolf] #1095004
01/03/09 07:30 PM
01/03/09 07:30 PM
southeast nebraska.
S
sethc Offline
trapper
sethc  Offline
trapper
S

southeast nebraska.
nice cat huntinglonewolf

sethc

Re: private maker vs. commercial lure/bait debate.. [Re: sethc] #1095057
01/03/09 07:47 PM
01/03/09 07:47 PM
Nevada
A
Andrew N. Offline
trapper
Andrew N.  Offline
trapper
A

Nevada
You're gonna have a lot of people pm'ing you for some of that bait/lure.

Re: private maker vs. commercial lure/bait debate.. [Re: Andrew N.] #1095132
01/03/09 08:09 PM
01/03/09 08:09 PM
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

LOL livetrap, I think that's the general idea for the post.

Re: private maker vs. commercial lure/bait debate.. [Re: Paul Dobbins] #1095143
01/03/09 08:12 PM
01/03/09 08:12 PM
Wyoming
huntinglonewolf Offline
trapper
huntinglonewolf  Offline
trapper

Wyoming
I'm not selling no bait and lure Paul, I need all I got for the rest of the season..

Re: private maker vs. commercial lure/bait debate. [Re: Paul Dobbins] #1095146
01/03/09 08:14 PM
01/03/09 08:14 PM
Nevada
A
Andrew N. Offline
trapper
Andrew N.  Offline
trapper
A

Nevada
Hang on Boss, I have to check forum rules on if this is ok or not. Stand by...

So..... lonewolf, let's talk about getting some of that lure out to california for thorough testing. I'll take what Yancy doesn't use.

Re: private maker vs. commercial lure/bait debate. [Re: Andrew N.] #1095154
01/03/09 08:16 PM
01/03/09 08:16 PM
Wyoming
huntinglonewolf Offline
trapper
huntinglonewolf  Offline
trapper

Wyoming
Don't have any to get rid of. Lot of season left.

Re: private maker vs. commercial lure/bait debate.. [Re: huntinglonewolf] #1095173
01/03/09 08:21 PM
01/03/09 08:21 PM
West Central,Indiana
Ridgerunner Offline
trapper
Ridgerunner  Offline
trapper

West Central,Indiana
Ditto Paul,I agree...

Re: private maker vs. commercial lure/bait debate.. [Re: huntinglonewolf] #1095204
01/03/09 08:31 PM
01/03/09 08:31 PM
PA
W
walkingstick2 Offline
trapper
walkingstick2  Offline
trapper
W

PA
I find this interesting to say the least and the length of the topic does not deter me in the least. I have trapped for over half a century with a great number of lures. Most have been commercial lures and some have been small operation batches. I have used lures that other guys swear by and have been disappointed and I have had great success with lures that others say are junk. I caught my first fox, coon and rat and mink on Hawbaker's Lures but to tell the truth it was all they sold at the local store we bought our lures at. I did better every year with Hawbaker's and still have a near stockpile of 500, 700 and 800 for fox. But I am a dabbler and a curious gent and have tried others. My lure cabinet is stockpiled with lures from many diferent makers I try from time to time. Some with success and some without but the ones that work give me confidence in that lure which causes me to use it more frequently. I believe confidence is a big factor. When Russ Carman started in my area when I was young I could not catch a cold standing in the pond in december with his lures.(not your fault Russ)...today I use his pro choice with regularity because down the line I tried it and it worked. I have confidence in itand several other lures he makes.

Secondly, we all trap in areas that have totally different habitats, exposure to humans, etc. These areas also hold varying populations of animals and also have different amounts of human pressure. Now I know from Marty's (huntinglonewolf) posting he is a highly successful trapper and I will in no way demean him or his effort for I know he works very hard at what he does but does he have the populations of target species that a guy in northeast PA has and does he face the number of other trappers, hunters and outdoor loving populations this person would. I know we have pockets out east too and Zagman does well in NY in his region but would he be as successful everywhere in NY. I guess what I am saying here is that lure use and success cannot be scientifically compared with all these variables such as populations of animals, human populations using the area, etc. All good luremakers keep meticulous records and they are faced with disappearing ingredients too causing changes. I bought a big jar of gray fox lure from someone on trap shed last summer...enough for my lifetime but it works out here for me just fine and I know this guy is not a world renowned lure manufacturer.I will use his lure because it has worked for me and I have faith in it.

whenever we do a comparison of lures or thier smells or their success, to be fair, we must do it scientifically and by scientific method. Simply put we have to experiment testing one and only variable at a time and that variable would be the one lure........all other things must remain the same or constant..they are called controls..same sets, same target species, same populations of critters, same weather, same trap size, same temperatures, etc. If all things remain the same and the lures being tested is the variable. Then the comparison would be fair and the data would allow us to compare apples to apples.

By now you are saying this guy is nuts and we cannot do that and then you are seeing the difficulty comparing lures and their success and faulure. They are a tool and an aid but if they sucked in every passing animal like some adds make you think they do we would all have full fur sheds or there would be nothing left to trap. Just the way this old fool sees it.............Mac~

Although I have trapped over 50 years without a partner I am never alone...God and my Dad are always there with me.
Re: private maker vs. commercial lure/bait debate.. [Re: walkingstick2] #1095262
01/03/09 08:49 PM
01/03/09 08:49 PM
Home, PA -- 55
D
dschurr Offline
trapper
dschurr  Offline
trapper
D

Home, PA -- 55
my .02---for 35 yrs.of trapping I can honestly say I have used just about every lure out there. Almost every different brand of say fox gland lure is different than the rest. Some might smell almost the same as another but not 100%. Same goes for food type lures. Walkingstick stated about confidence playing a big role, I agree whole heartedly. I also have made home made lures and am getting better at it but still rely on "store bought". Again just my .02. Dan.

Re: private maker vs. commercial lure/bait debate.. [Re: walkingstick2] #1095294
01/03/09 08:58 PM
01/03/09 08:58 PM
Wyoming
huntinglonewolf Offline
trapper
huntinglonewolf  Offline
trapper

Wyoming
walkingstick2 I agree with what you posted. I use to use alot of james mast and russ carmen lures till I bought some nelson soulution from brian roberts and mixed it with some ground bobcat meat. Then Bob wendt sent me a copy of his nelson bait soulution receipe and I made a bunch of it and mixed it with the bobcat meat and have had excellent success with it and I always put 2 sets at every location and have tried several differnt lures and baits in one of the sets and mine in the other and have had far better results with the bait and lure I have made. There is a guy on here who came down and set traps with me for a couple days and he used other lures and I used mine and in 2 weeks I caught 4 cats and 23 coyotes compared to his 1 coyote. We made the same sets and same traps. He just used other lure and baits. I went and redid all his sets and lured and baited with my stuff and started picking up coyotes. That is why I use my lures and bait as it works good. No I don't have any for sale.

Re: private maker vs. commercial lure/bait debate.. [Re: dschurr] #1095301
01/03/09 09:00 PM
01/03/09 09:00 PM
Louisiana
M. Howard Offline
trapper
M. Howard  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
I want to add this to the thread. For years I thought location, location, location for trapping. After getting the video camera out this year I learned two things. (1)I already know the location, so (2) for me it came to lure. I found that lures that other traps taking piles of fur on would run some of my critters off or other brands would bring in non targets. I tested my own lure which I have used for a number of years and found with the videos that fox would circle many times before committing. I found that one brand lure would drive fox nuts to get to the set while another brand would bring them in and keep them coming back for more. I have all but given up on making my own lure as I am hobby trapper and love and want to trap not make lure. I believe in the commerical lure for the reason Paul stated about batchs.

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote!

http://www.louisianatrappers.com/index.html
Re: private maker vs. commercial lure/bait debate.. [Re: M. Howard] #1095529
01/03/09 10:18 PM
01/03/09 10:18 PM
PA
W
walkingstick2 Offline
trapper
walkingstick2  Offline
trapper
W

PA
more food for thought

I rermeber night crappie fishing through the ice....three people...six holes and six rods all baited the same, same line, jig, bait. we even pull them onto ice and measure depths...one guy cannot buy a fish while the others are reeling them in...switch rods, switch holes results do not change........HOW COME?

years ago rersearch was being done with an amino acid called L-Serine and its varrying amounts present in people. At the time it was believed the level of L-Serine caused the fish to shy away from one persons bait and hit anothers...

I know we all have seen where one guy seems to out do all the others fishing. If there is merit to this can it also be a factor in trapping..can the odor of one person be so repulsive to a canine that.....................

God gave me the ability to think and sometimes it gets me in trouble but this is a possibility. I believe that one persons lure can outperform anothers. To that there is no doubt.

Marty, funny you should mention Jim Mast...I used his lures too...from California

Although I have trapped over 50 years without a partner I am never alone...God and my Dad are always there with me.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91