ADC Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Starting- I think I want to become an ADC trapper! #1201460
02/18/09 06:47 PM
02/18/09 06:47 PM
Central Pa. 62
B
bic Offline OP
"Mr. Sensitivity"
bic  Offline OP
"Mr. Sensitivity"
B

Central Pa. 62
My reasons:
a) I like to trap and work outdoors.
b) I'd like to be self employed and set my own hours and schedule.

If I started an ADC business, I would have to quit my current job. I would need to make about 60g per year to replace the job I have now. To you guys that have ADC businesses, does this sound like a good move?

Life always offers a second chance.
It's called Tomorrow
Re: I think I want to become an ADC trapper! [Re: bic] #1201476
02/18/09 06:55 PM
02/18/09 06:55 PM
Syracuse,Utica-Rome,Madison,On...
B
Bob Evans,-CWCP Offline
trapper
Bob Evans,-CWCP  Offline
trapper
B

Only you can make it happen.
would suggest you start small( part time ) and see what the future holds?
If you have a good job keep it they are few and far berween.
economy is not good right now and business has been down for the last year.Who knows what it will be this year?
bob

Bird,live honey Bee,Unique wildlife problems SOLVED.
Serving the great state of New York

livetrappingbymatt.net
Re: I think I want to become an ADC trapper! [Re: bic] #1201541
02/18/09 07:28 PM
02/18/09 07:28 PM
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
Originally Posted By: bic
My reasons:

Reality check:
a) Trapping is a tiny part of profitable wildlife control.
b) Your hours will be 24/7. You only think you own the business. It actually owns you.

If I started an ADC business, I would have to quit my current job.

Better idea: Don't quit your regular job until your wildlife business forces you to. It typically takes a couple years before you make a profit IF you are reinvesting into the business, which is the only way to ever build to the point of a stable full-time income.

Operating a wildlife control business is not a job... it's a lifestyle. However, if it is your passion it's worth it. BTW.... most people who operate full-time wildlife control businesses started out as fur trappers. You will not believe it right now, but you will soon find winter fur trapping is the last thing you can fit into your schedule, and most have little desire to do so even if they have the time. Like I said, you don't think it will happen to you..... but I just returned from a conference with 130 WCO's and it was real tough to find ONE that still makes an effort to fur trap (besides myself!)

Ron Scheller

Re: I think I want to become an ADC trapper! [Re: ] #1201689
02/18/09 08:19 PM
02/18/09 08:19 PM
Central Pa. 62
B
bic Offline OP
"Mr. Sensitivity"
bic  Offline OP
"Mr. Sensitivity"
B

Central Pa. 62
I will do that Buzz. Thanks.

It's called Tomorrow
Re: I think I want to become an ADC trapper! [Re: bic] #1201719
02/18/09 08:31 PM
02/18/09 08:31 PM
southern Minnesota
BUD25 Offline
trapper
BUD25  Offline
trapper

southern Minnesota
hey bic, i just started my own adc company. things are slow in the start and you need a lot of start up costs. i would keep your current job, start getting a name, liscense , getting certified. things like that. advertising. good place to start is finding out if there are any others that already are in the business close to you. hope this helps

Bud's Nuisance Wildlife Removal LLC
www.budstrapco.com
www.trappinmoles.com
Re: I think I want to become an ADC trapper! [Re: Ron Scheller] #1201743
02/18/09 08:40 PM
02/18/09 08:40 PM
Gainesville, Alachua, Florida,...
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Ron Scheller
My reasons:

Reality check:
a) Trapping is a tiny part of profitable wildlife control.
b) Your hours will be 24/7. You only think you own the business. It actually owns you.

If I started an ADC business, I would have to quit my current job.

Better idea: Don't quit your regular job until your wildlife business forces you to. It typically takes a couple years before you make a profit IF you are reinvesting into the business, which is the only way to ever build to the point of a stable full-time income.

Operating a wildlife control business is not a job... it's a lifestyle. However, if it is your passion it's worth it. BTW.... most people who operate full-time wildlife control businesses started out as fur trappers. You will not believe it right now, but you will soon find winter fur trapping is the last thing you can fit into your schedule, and most have little desire to do so even if they have the time. Like I said, you don't think it will happen to you..... but I just returned from a conference with 130 WCO's and it was real tough to find ONE that still makes an effort to fur trap (besides myself!)

Bic -

Ron Scheller & Bob Evans Told you the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I have no clue what buzzard is even talking about.

Real NWCO's are not made overnight, only dreams are and there is a lot more to it then throwing out a trap and collecting a check. Having a good business background is more important then your original fur trapping skills in the end.

Salesmanship, Marketing, Accounting, Strong Carpentry Skills, Building Construction Knowledge, Good Maintenance Habits and the ability to get out of bed in the middle of the night and do a job when your body says not too will all make or break you.

If you got a job keep it chances are the folks needing you may not even have a job to pay you from in the first place.The economy is predicted by almost everyone to get worse and not better for awhile.

Do some work part time on the side for experience, start buying equipment you will need a little at a time, learn your laws they are usually different for a NWCO and a furtrapper, and attend seminars when they become available .Learn from other NWCO's who will mentor you!

What are your local demographics can they even afford to pay you, what about the existing competition, can you offer services better or unique then they can. Undercutting your competition only hurts you in the end because your competitor already knows what and why to charge.

Everything I shared with you applies unless you are independently wealthy , can afford to make mistakes along the way, pay for your insurance, and afford a hefty ,marketing campaign for the first two-three years and not worried about making a living from your start up years on your own.

Find Our Podcasts @ http://www.thewildlifepro.net
Re: I think I want to become an ADC trapper! [Re: Robb Russell] #1201775
02/18/09 08:52 PM
02/18/09 08:52 PM
Central Pa. 62
B
bic Offline OP
"Mr. Sensitivity"
bic  Offline OP
"Mr. Sensitivity"
B

Central Pa. 62
Rob Russell Says, Salesmanship, Marketing, Accounting, Strong Carpentry Skills, Building Construction Knowledge, Good Maintenance Habits and the ability to get out of bed in the middle of the night and do a job when your body says not too will all make or break you.

I worked construction for close to 15 years, Have been doing sales and construction design for close to 20 yrs. I've got most of those qualifications you mention.
I currently have a great job that gives me a lot of flexibility and my closest Boss is 2-1/2 hours away. I see him once a month. Unfortunately, because of the economy, the company has already reduced it's workforce by 3/4. It looks as though it's just a matter of time before I will need to explore a new career. I'm just trying right now to be proactive and explore some possibilities.

It's called Tomorrow
Re: I think I want to become an ADC trapper! [Re: bic] #1201901
02/18/09 09:29 PM
02/18/09 09:29 PM
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

You answered it BIC because of the economy.

Many folks call and can't afford to pay and we try to make a living from those who can just like your present company!

Keep your day job.Sounds like you can work part time into your schedule too! Try to break into it a step at a time unless as I said earlier you are independently wealthy!

These are tough times.

Re: I think I want to become an ADC trapper! [Re: Robb Russell] #1201933
02/18/09 09:39 PM
02/18/09 09:39 PM
Central Pa. 62
B
bic Offline OP
"Mr. Sensitivity"
bic  Offline OP
"Mr. Sensitivity"
B

Central Pa. 62
Well, If ADC isn't a good option, What about becoming a Male prostitute? PART TIME Of Course!

It's called Tomorrow
Re: I think I want to become an ADC trapper! [Re: Robb Russell] #1201935
02/18/09 09:40 PM
02/18/09 09:40 PM
Wisconsin
M
MikeFlick Offline
trapper
MikeFlick  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
Its true what Robb said. Keep the day job till you have made it a year, and figure out if you can live through a winter. Then do what you want. Better to safe than sorry.
Ron isn't pulling your leg either. A wildlife professional knows how to do more than trap. Anyone can do that.
Bob Evans is a CWCP, he is the guy you should be sending a PM with a phone # on it. He is a helpful friendly guy with lots to share.

http://www.anytimeanimalcontrol.com
Wildlife Control Nationwide 800-714-8727
Re: I think I want to become an ADC trapper! [Re: MikeFlick] #1201948
02/18/09 09:48 PM
02/18/09 09:48 PM
B
Bob Evans,-CWCP Offline
trapper
Bob Evans,-CWCP  Offline
trapper
B

bic if your up too it?
What about becoming a Male prostitute?
Better money,shorter hours,heck of a lot of fun!
bob

Bird,live honey Bee,Unique wildlife problems SOLVED.
Serving the great state of New York

livetrappingbymatt.net
Re: I think I want to become an ADC trapper! [Re: Bob Evans,-CWCP] #1201965
02/18/09 09:52 PM
02/18/09 09:52 PM
Central Pa. 62
B
bic Offline OP
"Mr. Sensitivity"
bic  Offline OP
"Mr. Sensitivity"
B

Central Pa. 62
That's right BOB. Shorter hours!!!
I'm so quick, I figured I could do about 10 jobs in an hour.
Even at 5 bucks each (because of the economy) that would be 50 Bucks an hour!

It's called Tomorrow
Re: I think I want to become an ADC trapper! [Re: bic] #1201996
02/18/09 10:00 PM
02/18/09 10:00 PM
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
Well, If ADC isn't a good option,

I wouldn't say it's not a good option. It just takes a while to get established, and your first post sounded like you were ready to quit your job and "jump in" expecting to maintain your exact income and lifestyle.

When you then followed up with info regarding the unstable job situation, that may actually be a good reason to consider the possibility. Expecting to find a "good regular job" is wishful thinking for the most part..... this stimulus package is a joke and will do nothing more than postpone the inevitable economic crash which is necessary to balance things back out.

In the meantime, those who are self-sufficient will not be in Mr. O's welfare line or voter payback funding. History shows there were many people who were very successful through the Great Depression era. It's the folks with the "entitlement" mindset that drag everyone else down. You have the right idea about owning your own business, regardless what type.

Nothing wrong with being ahead of the game...... don't be like so many others and wait until your job is gone before looking into other avenues. The points I made were intended to make you think before jumping into a situation that may be hard on your family. Speaking of family, it is important that you have their total support when starting out.... there will be some tough times and it takes a team effort to make it.

Ron Scheller

Re: I think I want to become an ADC trapper! [Re: Ron Scheller] #1202023
02/18/09 10:07 PM
02/18/09 10:07 PM
Central Pa. 62
B
bic Offline OP
"Mr. Sensitivity"
bic  Offline OP
"Mr. Sensitivity"
B

Central Pa. 62
Thanks Ron. Luckily for my family, I realized that this recession was a long time over-due. SO, A about 3 years ago, I put my wife through school to be a Registered Nurse. She was only working part time But now she is working Full time and has greatly increased the family income. She is doing a pretty good job of "creating a financial cushion" so we can have a little breathing room.
As I said, I'm tired of having a job that I hate, just because the money is good. In my next "go 'round" i'd like to have a job that I Enjoy. That's why I'm exploring some different options.

It's called Tomorrow
Re: I think I want to become an ADC trapper! [Re: bic] #1202202
02/18/09 10:55 PM
02/18/09 10:55 PM
Missouri
Coppertrapper26 Offline
trapper
Coppertrapper26  Offline
trapper

Missouri
Starting out takes alot of patience and some serious cushion....
These guys are giving some awesome advice! (Robb, Bob, Ron)

Planning, Planning, and more Planning will help you to create a much better start up.... Do the research, make the phone calls, get plugged in BEFORE you make your final steps.

Jason

Re: I think I want to become an ADC trapper! [Re: Coppertrapper26] #1202426
02/19/09 12:33 AM
02/19/09 12:33 AM
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

Ok Bic what experiences do you have.

Sounds like you have a strong building background that will be an asset for you. Have you worked any animal control work yet in a urban setting?

Have you looked into business insurance and adding commercial coverage for your service vehicle?

What type of services can you offer now?

Have you read your state laws and looked into the requirements for adc licensing?

Many of us here have done a lot of podcasts on starting up a adc business and probably worth your time.Lot of mentoring goes on live when we do our twice weekly podcasts Thurs and Sunday 8 PM EST.Just call in and ask questions Bob Evans,Mike Flick and many others do a pretty good job getting you in the right direction.

Please PM me if I can help further!

Re: I think I want to become an ADC trapper! [Re: ] #1203562
02/19/09 04:39 PM
02/19/09 04:39 PM
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

Buzzard-

I now know what you are talking about somehow you think all an ADC trapper does it trap beavers.

Bic

Study your market determine what species are a nuisance, who is willing to pay to remove them and for how much. Whatever you decide make sure the economy can support your business.

I don't think the one species model is going to work in this economy everywhere if anywhere either.

A successful ADC business should be able to offer several services and be able to do them well. Business's grow by always looking to offer a happy contented customer another add on service!

Re: I think I want to become an ADC trapper! [Re: ] #1203727
02/19/09 05:26 PM
02/19/09 05:26 PM
Central Pa. 62
B
bic Offline OP
"Mr. Sensitivity"
bic  Offline OP
"Mr. Sensitivity"
B

Central Pa. 62
Thanks Buzz for that tip.

It's called Tomorrow
Re: I think I want to become an ADC trapper! [Re: ] #1203738
02/19/09 05:29 PM
02/19/09 05:29 PM
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

LMFAO at you Buzzard!!

The one species business model may work for you but clearly not the norm!

Re: I think I want to become an ADC trapper! [Re: Robb Russell] #1203789
02/19/09 05:45 PM
02/19/09 05:45 PM
Central Pa. 62
B
bic Offline OP
"Mr. Sensitivity"
bic  Offline OP
"Mr. Sensitivity"
B

Central Pa. 62
Originally Posted By: Robb Russell
LMFAO at you Buzzard!!

The one species business model may work for you but clearly not the norm!

Rob, It's not the "norm" does not mean it doesn't work. I think instead of doing it the way "everybody else does" a little bit of research needs to be done. All depends on supply & Demand which is what your customers are going to need you for and how many other ADC folks in the area can they call.. Also, How big a business you want to have, and how much income you need to generate on a Steady basis. Am I Wrong ?

It's called Tomorrow
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Bob Jameson, LAtrapper