ADC Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: I think I want to become an ADC trapper! [Re: bic] #1203817
02/19/09 05:52 PM
02/19/09 05:52 PM
Gainesville, Alachua, Florida,...
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

Bic just study your market! Make sure their are plenty who will demand your services and you are the best choice to provide that service. Tell us all how you are doing in 6 months-Aug 09!

We don't even have a significant beaver problem here to start with somehow our Fla gator population and beaver don't mix very well! I do live in the coyote capital of the state though!

Find Our Podcasts @ http://www.thewildlifepro.net
Re: I think I want to become an ADC trapper! [Re: ] #1203831
02/19/09 05:56 PM
02/19/09 05:56 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Buzzard, Perhaps if you explained your type of ADC work a little more, we would understand what you do. I do know some NWCOs who trap only beaver and make a good living. That would not be possible where I live and perhaps that's what the guys were trying to say.

Re: I think I want to become an ADC trapper! [Re: Robb Russell] #1203874
02/19/09 06:11 PM
02/19/09 06:11 PM
Central Pa. 62
B
bic Offline OP
"Mr. Sensitivity"
bic  Offline OP
"Mr. Sensitivity"
B

Central Pa. 62
Originally Posted By: Robb Russell
Bic just study your market! Make sure their are plenty who will demand your services

Rob, That is exactly what Buzzard told me earlier today in a phone call. He also told me to do a bit of research to see where and IF a demand exists. Then he pointed me in the direction of several resources to help find the answers to these questions.

Life always offers a second chance.
It's called Tomorrow
Re: I think I want to become an ADC trapper! [Re: ] #1203900
02/19/09 06:18 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Funny you should mention retirement communities. Just got a call a couple hours ago from the one my mom lived at. Obviously they have great food because the raccoons want to live as close to the dumpster as they can get. They keep tearing the vent fan covers off and live in the crawl space. They don't want me to fix the vents, just trap the squirrels and raccoons. Who am I to argue. Gives me a chance to visit with my aunt and uncle who live there now. I've been doing this place so long, I've even got my own key. They actually do a real good job of closing things up, but then the animals figure a new way in. Probably need to side the entire building with steel!

Re: I think I want to become an ADC trapper! [Re: ] #1203901
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

Buzzard-

Middleburg is just out of my area I am actually in Columbia County and my urban market Gainesville and go from Starke to Live Oak, Trenton to East Gainesville.

You are right about the regs here. Things will change in Jul though. No more leaving state to do bat work!

Find Our Podcasts @ http://www.thewildlifepro.net
Re: I think I want to become an ADC trapper! [Re: ] #1203947
02/19/09 06:35 PM
02/19/09 06:35 PM
West Central Illinois
I
il.trapper Offline
trapper
il.trapper  Offline
trapper
I

West Central Illinois
I understand what Buzzard is saying....I think....LOL he has always had a way of throwing me for a loop. LOL

What he is doing/saying is what I wanted to do when I got started...target ONE species. I am still working on that most everyday. I wish it could be beaver here...but it won't be.

IMO......building your bussiness around one specific animal would be the best way to go. I know there are some WCOs that do nothing but moles, others nothing but bats. Building your company name, and getting that name to those who need the help with that one specific animal would be great. Providing of course you have the knowledge to be the best there is in your area. And IMO...provide a better pay check each month with alot less stress. Less overhead also as you would only need the tools for that one animal. Not a bunch of different types and sizes of traps and other equipment. I guaruntee you that if I could stay off a ladder, I would in a heart beat. Probably burn everyone I own.

Re: I think I want to become an ADC trapper! [Re: il.trapper] #1203969
02/19/09 06:42 PM
02/19/09 06:42 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
il. trapper, I'll tell you how to stay off ladders. First fall off of a two story on your head and live to tell about it. Then fall off and blow out a lung while your wife is sitting in the van, watching. Everyone can go on ladders now , except me. I wonder why?

Re: I think I want to become an ADC trapper! [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #1204364
02/19/09 09:05 PM
02/19/09 09:05 PM
West Central Illinois
I
il.trapper Offline
trapper
il.trapper  Offline
trapper
I

West Central Illinois
Paul,

I fell off one year before last. Didn't fall but nine or so feet and hit a porch roof under me. Thought I was dead.....was sore for days.....besides being very embarrassed. The home owners called 911 so they sent a battalion chief....an ambulnace....a ladder truck and a pumper. I had to walk down their ladder...or I would have never gotten on another one. I have always hated the things anyway....now I despise them. But I still climb them everyday. I have never let anyone else set one up for me again though....I do it myself.

Re: I think I want to become an ADC trapper! [Re: il.trapper] #1204629
02/19/09 10:49 PM
02/19/09 10:49 PM
Wisconsin
M
MikeFlick Offline
trapper
MikeFlick  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
I did one animal for a couple of years. Raccoons, in San Diego. I did a skunk job every now and then, and some cats, but mainly raccoons.Then I started doing gophers, coyotes and honey bees, bats and birds.
I got some calls for sick coons and pretty soon, I couldn't get a skunk or coon job anywhere, but the others kept me afloat, till the population came back. Its good to be diverse in your skills, and make your customers happy.
Buzzard- We started by giving this guy some friendly advice, We dont want anyone to have a rough time. And learning and growing with your company is important. You dont want the growing pains to hit you faster than you can recover from them. I dont understand why you are calling B.S on anyones opinion. Beaver trapping can be alot of work, and Im glad it works for you.
You have my permission to respond with something narrow minded and ignorant Buzzard.

http://www.anytimeanimalcontrol.com
Wildlife Control Nationwide 800-714-8727
Re: I think I want to become an ADC trapper! [Re: ] #1204800
02/19/09 11:38 PM
02/19/09 11:38 PM
Wisconsin
M
MikeFlick Offline
trapper
MikeFlick  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
Wrong Buzz (no pun intended)LOL- Ive watched the thread from post 1 and I was in there as poster 12. Here's an idea, try posting something helpful or interesting, even something mildly amusing would be fine.
You don't need to call me sir.

Re: I think I want to become an ADC trapper! [Re: MikeFlick] #1206467
02/20/09 09:25 PM
02/20/09 09:25 PM
Central Pa. 62
B
bic Offline OP
"Mr. Sensitivity"
bic  Offline OP
"Mr. Sensitivity"
B

Central Pa. 62
MIKE FLICK, First off let me start by saying that I am the originator of this thread. I ASKED for opinions. I got them. Buzzard did absolutely nothing besides what was asked. He gave his opinion. Did YOU ever stop to think what this world would be like if we ALL thought the same. It would suk!
I read all of the posts with opinions made on this topic. Now it's my job to put the pieces together and come to my own conclusion.
I know that Buzzard's way isn't the "NORM"
I think all, should think about the meaning of that word "norm"
It means that is not the way the "majority" does it.
I really don't think we ALL are real happy with how the "Majority" views things. If we were, we could join the MAJORITY and not trap and hunt anymore. Oh, also, The majority of voters elected OB, so those votes were the NORM. I guess they must be right too!

It's called Tomorrow
Re: I think I want to become an ADC trapper! [Re: bic] #1206899
02/21/09 12:34 AM
02/21/09 12:34 AM
Wisconsin
M
MikeFlick Offline
trapper
MikeFlick  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
My mistake bic, listen to Buzzard, just because 9 out of ten think he's sending you up a creek without a paddle doesn't mean we are right. I think all your questions should be directed to Buzzard in the future. Good Luck

Re: I think I want to become an ADC trapper! [Re: MikeFlick] #1207164
02/21/09 09:22 AM
02/21/09 09:22 AM
Central Pa. 62
B
bic Offline OP
"Mr. Sensitivity"
bic  Offline OP
"Mr. Sensitivity"
B

Central Pa. 62
MikeFlick, Obviously you have problems comprehending what you read. Here is a direct "cut and paste" from my previous post....

"I read all of the posts with opinions made on this topic. Now it's my job to put the pieces together and come to my own conclusion."

That's how adults make decisions. Gather info, then make an Educated and informed plan.
I will say again. I asked for opinions...That is what I got!

It's called Tomorrow
Re: I think I want to become an ADC trapper! [Re: bic] #1207181
02/21/09 09:32 AM
02/21/09 09:32 AM
Wisconsin
M
MikeFlick Offline
trapper
MikeFlick  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
We are the Norm bic. I don't want to bore you with details.

Re: I think I want to become an ADC trapper! [Re: MikeFlick] #1207267
02/21/09 10:28 AM
02/21/09 10:28 AM
Central Pa. 62
B
bic Offline OP
"Mr. Sensitivity"
bic  Offline OP
"Mr. Sensitivity"
B

Central Pa. 62
Originally Posted By: MikeFlick
We are the Norm bic. I don't want to bore you with details.

As I ALSO said earlier...The "NORM"!!
OB got elected this past fall because the "Norm" thought he was the answer to all our problems!
Does that make the "Norm" correct?
Since trappers are a Minority,
That makes those who do not, the "Norm".
If the Norm is correct, I guess we should all quit, to join them.
I'm done with argument!

It's called Tomorrow
Re: I think I want to become an ADC trapper! [Re: bic] #1207382
02/21/09 11:36 AM
02/21/09 11:36 AM
Wisconsin
M
MikeFlick Offline
trapper
MikeFlick  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
We trap too bic. Its just not all we do. You should look into the line of work and find out what an ADC does for a living. It can be very diverse. Trapping is just a small part of it. Just call me Norm.

Re: I think I want to become an ADC trapper! [Re: MikeFlick] #1208521
02/21/09 10:06 PM
02/21/09 10:06 PM
Syracuse,Utica-Rome,Madison,On...
B
Bob Evans,-CWCP Offline
trapper
Bob Evans,-CWCP  Offline
trapper
B

Syracuse,Utica-Rome,Madison,On...
This has turned ugly! Bic after you have decided )researched) your market YOU can better make a decision on what & were you want too go.If it's trapping or exclusion ? While looking at your area look and find the species that bring in the calls? We had a huge raccoon problem when I started,today if we get 2 calls a year it's a lot? Rabies!
Diversifying is the way I kept the business going.Commercial accounts can be a pain but they are steady checks,slow at times but the money is there.
So do the home work!
Good luck
bob evans

Bird,live honey Bee,Unique wildlife problems SOLVED.
Serving the great state of New York

livetrappingbymatt.net
Re: I think I want to become an ADC trapper! [Re: Bob Evans,-CWCP] #1208528
02/21/09 10:08 PM
02/21/09 10:08 PM
Central Pa. 62
B
bic Offline OP
"Mr. Sensitivity"
bic  Offline OP
"Mr. Sensitivity"
B

Central Pa. 62
Thanks Bob, I will do that.

It's called Tomorrow
Re: I think I want to become an ADC trapper! [Re: bic] #1210318
02/22/09 06:46 PM
02/22/09 06:46 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
Bic
Bob is making good sense. I got into this stuff almost 30 years ago. I was doing deperdation work for any one that would pay ( NOT MANY) I wanted to be a long liner for fur. but a wife and kids made me look at thinks differently.

Back in those days there was no one to turn to and ask LOL. I remember a guy from our dept of Fish and wildlife called me and said Ron Got a bat Job for ya want it? I said sure how do I do it? His reply I have no IDEA! LOL so I got to know others from across the country and found out LOL I would love to just do beaver or yotes but we had no yotes or beaver at that time and Fox, coon problems was not a real money maker in the deperation area LOL

Buzzard has a nitch and was willing to move to a place to do that nitch wish I had his nads LOL

Me I saw squirrels as my main stay and do a bunch But still can not survive on them. so we will do all phases from birds to hippos LOL

the key to all this is, do you want to stay where you are location wise? if so you have to research what is in your area and what rates you can charge based on your company make up and cost. then look at what critter or critters. ask can I get those cost factors for x critter and if yes Can I provide for my family from this meaning all year or seasonal. If not then you will need to look at other options or services. Business is a hard thing emotion needs to stay at the back. But it does feel good doing what you want LOL unless the bills are not getting paid!

Alot of burn out and devorces in the ole days I guess it I it is still the same LOL

Last edited by Jonesie; 02/22/09 06:49 PM.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: I think I want to become an ADC trapper! [Re: Jonesie] #1210637
02/22/09 08:13 PM
02/22/09 08:13 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Bic, if you ever get a chance to hear Jonesie talk, don't miss it. I still have one of his printouts on squirrels, from an old NWCOA seminar. And I think that was before New Jersey was a state!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Bob Jameson, LAtrapper