Lures, Bait and Urine Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Liquid castor? #15008
01/01/07 11:23 AM
01/01/07 11:23 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Been liquifying my castor, very handy to apply from a flip top lure bottle. Does anyone else do this? I'd like to get a recipe so my batches are consistant.

Re: Liquid castor? [Re: Barkstone] #16389
01/02/07 03:41 AM
01/02/07 03:41 AM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
I'm pretty non-conventional, but I've been using liquid castor for years with wonderful results om my long line. I take one to three castors off of male beaver with full pods and then I just cut and stuff into a gallon plastic water jug. Making sure not to lose any liquid. I sometimes give a squirt of sac oil too. Then I just add a couple of quarts of river water to the jug and shake vigourously. As I take beaver I milk off additional castor juice into the jug (juice that likely would have leaked out anyway during the skinning process).

When I make a mudpie set I just blurb on about a half of cup onto the mud and she's good to go.

As you run low of liquid you can just scoop some more water into the jug and shake again. The caveat is that the juice just has a shelf life of 2 to 3 days. No big deal for me becasue I may well take 30 to 50 beaver with one batch.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Liquid castor? [Re: beaverpeeler] #16528
01/02/07 10:33 AM
01/02/07 10:33 AM
St Louis, Missouri
B
Barkstone Offline
trapper
Barkstone  Offline
trapper
B

St Louis, Missouri
Thanks BP

Paul R. Ellsworth

Re: Liquid castor? [Re: Barkstone] #17426
01/02/07 09:07 PM
01/02/07 09:07 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Ive been grinding dried castor after soaking in water for at least 24 hours then mixing it with a 50/50 water/popepelene glycol solution. Shake it up real good then strain it so it wont plug the flip top bottle. Very handy.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91