Lures, Bait and Urine Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Tincture lures - what types of alcohol are ok? [Re: LT GREY] #175658
04/12/07 10:05 AM
04/12/07 10:05 AM
Kansas
K
Kansasbert Offline
trapper
Kansasbert  Offline
trapper
K

Kansas
Ok agreed I would not have geniune catnip oil, but would tincture of catnip sufice as a substitute for catnip oil, would it be better than artificial catnip oil?

Re: Tincture lures - what types of alcohol are ok? [Re: Kansasbert] #175689
04/12/07 10:29 AM
04/12/07 10:29 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Online content
trapper
Bob Jameson  Online Content
trapper
B

SW Pa
Genuine catnip material is most naturally derived by distillation. Tincturing catnip can be a good alternative to distillation if one doesnt have access to a still as such.

Strength of a distilled process product is increased by the number of times each batch is run through the system. To the point until the maximum strength of that product has been achieved.

It is more practical and easier at times to tincture these types of mints and other types of material such as ambrette musk,asefoetida etc.

The end odor of a distilled natural product or tinctures vs a synthethic product are worlds apart in true odor representation.

Most I would assume it is safe to say that most use the artificial/synthetic form due to its more accessable nature.It can be over powering in the synthetic form.

Only a select few such as Asa, the late Dave Edwards and myself and possibly Paul may use the orginal material in formulations as needed or desired.There may well be other formulators also but this is an area that is not discussed in a great detail between others.Each individual has his own little secrets or methods that are sacred to each.

Re: Tincture lures - what types of alcohol are ok? [Re: Bob Jameson] #175734
04/12/07 10:57 AM
04/12/07 10:57 AM
Gulliver, Michigan
A
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper
Asa Lenon  Offline
trapper
A

Gulliver, Michigan
As Bob says, a tincture will never have the strength and quality of a distilled product such as catnip oil. However, for homebrew lures tincturing can do a fair job if one lets it age in the tincturing agent and give the jug a good shaking on a regular basis. Ace

Re: Tincture lures - what types of alcohol are ok? [Re: Asa Lenon] #176992
04/13/07 01:14 AM
04/13/07 01:14 AM
Nelson, New Zealand
C
coote Offline OP
trapper
coote  Offline OP
trapper
C

Nelson, New Zealand
I really appreciate all the helpful comments and ideas. Thanks everybody.

Once you have a concentrated tincture, can you dilute it with anything to make it go further?

Re: Tincture lures - what types of alcohol are ok? [Re: coote] #177143
04/13/07 08:12 AM
04/13/07 08:12 AM
Gulliver, Michigan
A
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper
Asa Lenon  Offline
trapper
A

Gulliver, Michigan
I doubt that one will end up with an ingredient that is too concentrated from tincturing coote. Ace

Re: Tincture lures - what types of alcohol are ok? [Re: Asa Lenon] #177168
04/13/07 08:35 AM
04/13/07 08:35 AM
SW Pa
B
trapper
trapper
B

SW Pa
You will find that it is better to decrease the amount of an element used then to cut its strength.You should strive to keep your ingredient materials consistent in all ways to ensure the integrity of your formula. If not, it may change your formula in odor or lack there of and possibly adversely affect the quality or desired effectiveness.

There is much dilution going on out there with items being sold that may lack consistency, quality or just wont be want you wanted at all. So the avg. individual hopeing to do his own lures or baits is buying something that he may not realize that it just isnt what he thought it would be or he just doesn't know what the good stuff is.

Most will find this out when they purchase the real deal from another supplier. Or have the opportunity to smell the authentic, uncut or the better tinctured material made by an experienced individual.

Re: Tincture lures - what types of alcohol are ok? [Re: Bob Jameson] #177181
04/13/07 08:57 AM
04/13/07 08:57 AM
Kansas
K
Kansasbert Offline
trapper
Kansasbert  Offline
trapper
K

Kansas
Bob who would you consider a reputible dearer than is known to sell the "real deal" and not cut their products to increase profit?

Thanks, Rob

Re: Tincture lures - what types of alcohol are ok? [Re: Kansasbert] #177198
04/13/07 09:16 AM
04/13/07 09:16 AM
SW Pa
B
trapper
trapper
B

SW Pa
Rob we carry a good inventory of lure and bait ingredient products. All base materials and other products are formulated by me in house. The pure essential oils, powders, musks etc come from the private labs that make them or are imported from across the world in their authentic form. Paul or Asa may carry some ingredients also depending upon what you are wanting but not sure as to their inventory selection.

You can view our ingredient selection at jamesonsultrablend.com We have items that are not listed as I dont advertise some of the more expensive items due to that reason alone. Some dont wish to pay the price for the real mccoy and are content with cut products.Just depends on your specific purpose and intended use.

Re: Tincture lures - what types of alcohol are ok? [Re: Bob Jameson] #177293
04/13/07 11:11 AM
04/13/07 11:11 AM
Kansas
K
Kansasbert Offline
trapper
Kansasbert  Offline
trapper
K

Kansas
thnx bob

Re: Tincture lures - what types of alcohol are ok? [Re: Kansasbert] #177688
04/13/07 05:08 PM
04/13/07 05:08 PM
Nelson, New Zealand
C
coote Offline OP
trapper
coote  Offline OP
trapper
C

Nelson, New Zealand
Good advice thanks very much. I can see the logic behind it. I have the glands soaking in vodka now. I won't dilute it... I will just use the minimum quantity that seems to work at each set. If I only need a drop or two, then my jar of lure should last me for hundreds of sets.

I reckon I'll call it 'Eau d'Possum'.

Much appreciated... Stephen Coote.

Re: Tincture lures - what types of alcohol are ok? [Re: whitetailaddict] #177715
04/13/07 05:32 PM
04/13/07 05:32 PM
PA
M
medicine man Offline
trapper
medicine man  Offline
trapper
M

PA
i have tried tincturing before, but my finished prodeuct after a year smelled just like it did before i added the material, alcohol. i did use apples, so is that a possible source of error? or do you let the alcohol evaporate off after it has tincutred?

Latest Polling Shows: 49 percent of all Americans say that illegal immigration is a serious problem. The other 51 percent said: "No hablo inglés"
Re: Tincture lures - what types of alcohol are ok? [Re: medicine man] #177932
04/13/07 08:39 PM
04/13/07 08:39 PM
Nelson, New Zealand
C
coote Offline OP
trapper
coote  Offline OP
trapper
C

Nelson, New Zealand
I am not an experienced lure maker or a chemist, but I think that tincturing is for products that contain fragrant oils etc. I don't think that there would be any appreciable quantity of fragrant oil in apple flesh.

Sounds like you might be trying to catch vegetable eaters. I have found that vanilla, aniseed, cinnamon and curry powder seem to attract the vegetarians I trap in my country. I mix these fragrant ingredients with things like flour and sugar. Lately I have been stirring in butter to add a bit of moisture resistance. This certainly works for our brushtailed possums.

Re: Tincture lures - what types of alcohol are ok? [Re: coote] #177972
04/13/07 09:12 PM
04/13/07 09:12 PM
Gulliver, Michigan
A
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper
Asa Lenon  Offline
trapper
A

Gulliver, Michigan
I agree with coote that there is little if any odor locked into apples that couldn't simply be squeezed out in the juice. Leaves like catnip, spearmint, etc are a different story. Even a year of tincturing will not extract every last potential from them, it takes distillation to do that. Ace

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91