ADC Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Starting- thinking about all these new adc co. pos #1905280
03/20/10 09:42 AM
03/20/10 09:42 AM
morristown tn.
scott rainbolt Offline OP
trapper
scott rainbolt  Offline OP
trapper

morristown tn.
was just sitting here having my morning coffee looking at all these thinking of starting an adc co. posts and got to thinking a lot of the guys starting these post there fur catch on there post alot of them have under 20 catchs total. and i got to thinking if they realy know what there getting into i was a fur trapper for maybe 10 years when i started thought i was ready now when i look back maybe i wasnt. we maybe part of the reason and i have done it myself when people ask how much you get to catch a beaver or a coon just think about it i say i get 65 set up fee and 45 a coon and the avg. trapper just sold his coon for say 8 bucks apeace. now that guy is sitting there going man i could do that i cought 6 coon this year wasnt that hard. dont think they realize adc work is a whole diffrent world from fur trapping. in fur trapping your there to take the cream of the crop and move on not get them all if you take on a adc job for beaver with fur trapping in your mind your in for some times. remeber my first beaver job around 20 years ago if it hadnt been for mike mcmillon willing to drive 50 miles both ways to show me how dont think i would have got those last 2 trap shy ones that i caused. dont know if im right or just to much coffee this morning just wanted to see what you guys thought

rainbolt wildlife control morristown tennessee
http://tennesseetrappers.proboards.com/index.cgi
Re: thinking about all these new adc co. post [Re: scott rainbolt] #1905294
03/20/10 09:57 AM
03/20/10 09:57 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Scott, I think your right on the money with that. Folks see what we get paid gross and begin to think we're all high rollers over here. Combine that with our economy and we get all the wannabes asking questions. That's all great and wonderful if these guys really understand just what WCO work is all about. Terrible for them if they don't.
The biggest thing I noticed is the folks wanting to do this part time. I know it has been done but I honestly don't know how. My guess is that those who were/are part time prior to going full time in truth are more likely working full time jobs. Unless one limits himself to one or two jobs at a time WCO work very quickly becomes fulltime.

[Linked Image]
Re: thinking about all these new adc co. post [Re: warrior] #1905306
03/20/10 10:05 AM
03/20/10 10:05 AM
morristown tn.
trapper
trapper

morristown tn.
true i do plumbing and control work and it makes for long days and longer weekse

Re: thinking about all these new adc co. post [Re: scott rainbolt] #1905352
03/20/10 10:31 AM
03/20/10 10:31 AM
Lower Alabama (Daleville)
L
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Offline
"Professor"
L

Lower Alabama (Daleville)
So much information on “starting” is available on the forum if folks would only conduct a little research. Hundreds of posts on this subject have been made and are still available. Some examples-

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthrea...tml#Post1201460

Last edited by tmrschessie; 11/09/12 09:59 AM. Reason: non working link

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Re: thinking about all these new adc co. post [Re: LAtrapper] #1905375
03/20/10 10:55 AM
03/20/10 10:55 AM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
I'm sure the recession has a lot to do with it. If a guy has some experience trapping, nuisance wildlife control is a good way to make a few extra bucks. You just have to know your limits. Don't get in over your head.

It's fairly easy to do this work part time. Just don't take on more than you can handle. I work second shift. I don't have to be to work until 1pm. I get out between 8 and 9pm. It's easy to get up early to get some trapping done.

I stick to trapping. I don't do exclusions or repair work. I basically do squirrels, skunks and raccoons. It's fairly easy, friendly work.

I'd bet there's a higher percentage of guys doing it part time than you think.

Re: thinking about all these new adc co. post [Re: sgs] #1905485
03/20/10 12:11 PM
03/20/10 12:11 PM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
I started my Beaver trapping Company (ABC.......Acme Beaver Company) with a video under my Belt....... whistle

I Named it Acme after the supplier to the Famous Whyle E. Coyote...........

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: thinking about all these new adc co. post [Re: Vinke] #1906501
03/20/10 10:33 PM
03/20/10 10:33 PM

P
paul antczak
Unregistered
paul antczak
Unregistered
P

My hats off to the guy that tries and succeeds. But not to the guy that comes into this industry and tarnish it with poor work and scams. Some have it and some don't. They will find out soon enough

Re: thinking about all these new adc co. post [Re: ] #1906555
03/20/10 11:03 PM
03/20/10 11:03 PM
Haubstadt, In.
G
G Hanold Offline
trapper
G Hanold  Offline
trapper
G

Haubstadt, In.
Actually I'm one of the new part time newbies. I've looked into doing this for a couple of years before I took the leap. I'm not a fur trapper and don't know if I'll enter into doing beaver work, at least not for some time. My goal at this time is to go slow and build a reputation. I'm 40 years old and have 9 years until retirement. At 50 I'm no where close to being done working, I enjoy hard work and can't see quitting. My focus is take the work that I can do and make sure I do it well. I raced for 10 years and kinda got use to putting in 10 hours at work and then toiling away in the garage until the wee hours of the morning. Right now I put in around 2 hours of ADC work (mainly moles right now) before I leave for my full time job, then a couple of hours afterward if needed. I pursue jobs that I know that I can do around my hours.

I want to be known as the guy who does this job right, presents a professional image, and a image of integrity in front of any critic of this industry. I have 9 years to get there, and so far I'm right on my game plan. My biggest fear is that I ever present myself as a fly by night small time ADC guy. That's why I'm here soaking up all of the experience you veterans want to share.

The extra income also helps when you in the midst of doing a Dave Ramsey "Debt Snowball".

User formerly known as Hanible.

Trapping &
Removal of
Animal
Pests
Re: thinking about all these new adc co. post [Re: G Hanold] #1906678
03/21/10 12:09 AM
03/21/10 12:09 AM
NE
SVantassel Offline
trapper
SVantassel  Offline
trapper

NE
there is indeed a lot of information on the web. I would suggest icwdm.org as a good spot.

Also I would note that the future of wildlife control is not in trapping. The future is in exclusion (i.e. one-way doors) and repairs. Build carpentry skills that is the future.

Stephen M. Vantassel, CWCP, MNI, ACP
Wildlifecontrolconsultant.com
402-489-1042
Re: thinking about all these new adc co. post [Re: SVantassel] #1906726
03/21/10 12:49 AM
03/21/10 12:49 AM
Haubstadt, In.
G
G Hanold Offline
trapper
G Hanold  Offline
trapper
G

Haubstadt, In.
I agree and carpentry is one area that I'm not so comfortable with. Any substantial carpentry in the near future will have to be subbed out, until I'm comfortable with my skills. I can do anything I want with metal, but carpentry practices are still Greek to me. I have no fear of carpentry but I'm in no position to charge for it until I can perform at a professional level. But then again that hasn't stopped most. I've seen Holmes on Homes. lol

I love the icwdm.org site! I had it bookmarked well before I found this one. I think both are a must for anyone who is learning this biz.

User formerly known as Hanible.

Trapping &
Removal of
Animal
Pests
Re: thinking about all these new adc co. post [Re: G Hanold] #1907078
03/21/10 10:13 AM
03/21/10 10:13 AM
Ky.
W
watershedman25 Offline
trapper
watershedman25  Offline
trapper
W

Ky.
I am currently studying for the NWCO here in Ky.,I have wanted to for yrs. but have little time to devote to it. My contracting job with the NRCS will put me in a position for use some of the time, as we have to deal w/beaver problems often, even they don't want to pay very well. I live in a very rural area and will have a problem w/anyone willing to pay much of anything to get a problem animal removed, be it mouse,mole or coon, maybe a skunk. Also as stated earlier, it would have to be a "part time" as my time is short during summer and fall between cattle and contract/excavating work. I sincerly enjoy everyones post as do many of the silent readers. Thanks for all the info, look foreward to meeting some of you ...someday?

Born once,die twice-Born twice,die once.
Re: thinking about all these new adc co. post [Re: watershedman25] #1907094
03/21/10 10:21 AM
03/21/10 10:21 AM
california
E
ehd Offline
trapper
ehd  Offline
trapper
E

california
i learned coyote control as a kid because we had sheep.the coyotes won as we lost tools needed to manage them.I dont make a living trapping for backyard farms,but do make enough to pay for my gear,fuel etc,, and keep up the practice so to speak. Once trapping is in your blood,you cant quit.!

Re: thinking about all these new adc co. post [Re: ehd] #1907114
03/21/10 10:35 AM
03/21/10 10:35 AM
morristown tn.
trapper
trapper

morristown tn.
im not saying there is anything wrong with doing this part time some markets cant carry a full time wco. i was thinking about the guys with 1 or 2 fur seasons under there belt. just think if there was a`way to call every one on this site in three years it would suprise you how many of these guys have giving up trapping for something else

Re: thinking about all these new adc co. post [Re: scott rainbolt] #1907368
03/21/10 01:51 PM
03/21/10 01:51 PM
Ten
D
D.R.Hartle Offline
trapper
D.R.Hartle  Offline
trapper
D

Ten
Been trapping for 45 years -and I live for it ask my wife -if it wasnt for the insurance-retirement I would do ADC full time - right now its every other month Im on a tow boat 28 on 28 off unless they ask me to work - give up trapping? yea when they plant me or [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] freezes over - only thing I regret is one of my grandchildren not taking it up and all some idiot getting my hunting/fishing/trapping equipment

Re: thinking about all these new adc co. post [Re: D.R.Hartle] #1907761
03/21/10 05:08 PM
03/21/10 05:08 PM
california
E
ehd Offline
trapper
ehd  Offline
trapper
E

california
i have seen alot of people come and go calling coyotes. First couple dry spells and most are usually done. I bet alot of trappers come and go looking for a quick buck in the fur market.Myself, I cant sleep at night, when i got a wiley one that wont go into a snare.!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Bob Jameson, LAtrapper