ADC Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Snake- snake in basement question #1933139
04/03/10 10:08 PM
04/03/10 10:08 PM
NE
international Offline OP
trapper
international  Offline OP
trapper

NE
We had a relative spot a snake in out basement today, scare it under a freezer then walk off, and notify us an hour later. As you may have guessed, the snake is no longer there. Is there any "magic" way of locating a snake in a basement. If it helps, it is believed to be a black snake.

Thanks in advance

Originally Posted By: p-skinny

some folks are just anal about any and everything
Re: snake in basement question [Re: ] #1933232
04/03/10 10:55 PM
04/03/10 10:55 PM
U.P. michigan
U
U.P.trappermark Offline
trapper
U.P.trappermark  Offline
trapper
U

U.P. michigan
Get the gun!!!! I hate snakes.

Re: snake in basement question [Re: international] #1933266
04/03/10 11:15 PM
04/03/10 11:15 PM
N.E. Missouri
krd_expd Offline
trapper
krd_expd  Offline
trapper

N.E. Missouri
Well there are several factors here. One, if the relative didn't bother to say anything for over an hour, it may be possible they're just pulling your leg..most people would have said something immediately. Second, the underneath section of a deep freeze is hollow and warm, especially around the compressor, thus making a good place to coil up for a snake. Without tipping the freezer upside down, you may not be able to spot it immediately. Third, what is your basement like? Is it like an old cellar, unfinished basement, or finished basement? Is it only accessible from inside the home, or is it a walk-out style? How well is it sealed up (broken windows, cracked foundation, etc)? Is it full of stuff, or mainly empty? Let me know and I might be able to give you some suggestions.

Kendrick

CLC Nuisance Wildlife Control
Re: snake in basement question [Re: krd_expd] #1934434
04/04/10 04:22 PM
04/04/10 04:22 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
......don't forget could have entered the house through or along the roof line and came down inside the walls!

Re: snake in basement question [Re: LT GREY] #1934578
04/04/10 06:19 PM
04/04/10 06:19 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
I overheard a gal at the humane society telling a customer that a damp burlap bag with a heating pad in it, will work much of the time. The snake will be either in or under the bag.

The reason I remembered it is because that was probably the only time I've heard someone from the humane society give out advice that wasn't mothball related.

Re: snake in basement question [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #1934640
04/04/10 06:59 PM
04/04/10 06:59 PM
Ohio
ForrestŪ Offline
trapper
ForrestŪ  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
I overheard a gal at the humane society telling a customer that a damp burlap bag with a heating pad in it, will work much of the time. The snake will be either in or under the bag.

The reason I remembered it is because that was probably the only time I've heard someone from the humane society give out advice that wasn't mothball related.

Heating pad works well as does a heat lamp over top of a car tire.. the snake will go inside the car tire to adsorb the heat..

AMERICAN TRAP TALK FORUM
"Click Here"

Re: snake in basement question [Re: ForrestŪ] #1934771
04/04/10 08:08 PM
04/04/10 08:08 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Sounds like another good tip ADC Ohio.

Re: snake in basement question [Re: krd_expd] #1935120
04/04/10 09:57 PM
04/04/10 09:57 PM
NE
international Offline OP
trapper
international  Offline OP
trapper

NE
Originally Posted By: krd_expd
Well there are several factors here. One, if the relative didn't bother to say anything for over an hour, it may be possible they're just pulling your leg..most people would have said something immediately. Second, the underneath section of a deep freeze is hollow and warm, especially around the compressor, thus making a good place to coil up for a snake. Without tipping the freezer upside down, you may not be able to spot it immediately. Third, what is your basement like? Is it like an old cellar, unfinished basement, or finished basement? Is it only accessible from inside the home, or is it a walk-out style? How well is it sealed up (broken windows, cracked foundation, etc)? Is it full of stuff, or mainly empty? Let me know and I might be able to give you some suggestions.

Kendrick

The freezer was tipped over, but you couldnt really see in it. The basement is a fairly modern one. cement walls and floor. it has a weight lifting area, and alot of shelves along the walls with plastic totes on them. there is a washer and drier 2 gun cabinets 3 freezers and thats it. It is sealed off really well, the front door, either goes into the basement or up a set of stairs to the main floor. We think we have found out where it entered at. that was a place where a screan door wasnt sealing correctly. we fixed this though. Would a picture of the house help? If so here is one.

Originally Posted By: p-skinny

some folks are just anal about any and everything
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Bob Jameson, LAtrapper