Lures, Bait and Urine Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Been into the gum asafoetida.... [Re: offshoretrash] #219111
06/02/07 09:29 PM
06/02/07 09:29 PM
Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
Jtrapper Offline
trapper
Jtrapper  Offline
trapper

Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
An old moonshiner/trapper i ran around with as young guy always, ALWAYS, smelled like skunk musk Asa, lol. If he had something of importance to attend, like family get together, football game, etc. he would douse himself with cheap women's perfume he kept in the glove box of his old jeep in an attempt to cover up the skunk odor, lmao.

Of course this only made a much much worse odor, lol. His nick name was Looney of course, lol.

Not my circus, not my clowns.
Re: Been into the gum asafoetida.... [Re: Jtrapper] #219137
06/02/07 09:54 PM
06/02/07 09:54 PM
Gulliver, Michigan
A
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper
Asa Lenon  Offline
trapper
A

Gulliver, Michigan
J: Wherever I go, dogs are always trying to smell the soles of my shoes just from having walked inside of the lure building where a variety of lure ingredients spilled on the floor over the years even though the spills were cleaned up. Ace

Re: Been into the gum asafoetida.... [Re: Asa Lenon] #219188
06/02/07 11:15 PM
06/02/07 11:15 PM
East Central, Pennsylvania
S
StemCell Offline
trapper
StemCell  Offline
trapper
S

East Central, Pennsylvania
I opened my lure container this morning in the garage to place a bottle that I forgot in the basket; the wife was complaining within 5 minutes at the other end of the house.

Guys, I have used Murphy's Oil Soap with some success on most lure impregnated hands.

Best of luck.

Re: Been into the gum asafoetida.... [Re: StemCell] #219277
06/03/07 07:52 AM
06/03/07 07:52 AM
wise virgina
R
regulargrey Offline
trapper
regulargrey  Offline
trapper
R

wise virgina
got skunk on me and washed my clothes in scent away laundry detergent twice and took a bath with scent away soap for deer hunting and took most away but when the wife came in she could still smell it in the house were I did not get it off in time but all was gone off ofclothes and about all off of me

Last edited by regulargrey; 06/03/07 07:53 AM.
Re: Been into the gum asafoetida.... [Re: regulargrey] #219293
06/03/07 08:17 AM
06/03/07 08:17 AM
MI
L
LM Shortcut Offline
trapper
LM Shortcut  Offline
trapper
L

MI
The animal with the best nose on this earth....the woman of the house.

Re: Been into the gum asafoetida.... [Re: LM Shortcut] #219296
06/03/07 08:25 AM
06/03/07 08:25 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It's gotta be some kind of sacrilege trying to wash of such said smells! LOL

And as far as the women folk ... well, they signed on "for better or worse" ... remind'em this is the better and not the worse! lol

Re: Been into the gum asafoetida.... [Re: ] #219322
06/03/07 09:23 AM
06/03/07 09:23 AM
Quebec ,Canada
Fergustrap Offline
trapper
Fergustrap  Offline
trapper

Quebec ,Canada
I take used coffee filter for odor off, this absorb and remove very good

Last edited by Andy F; 06/03/07 09:24 AM.
Re: Been into the gum asafoetida.... [Re: ] #219331
06/03/07 09:32 AM
06/03/07 09:32 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Online content
trapper
Bob Jameson  Online Content
trapper
B

SW Pa
I have tried a multitude of items for odor control over the years. It seems time,bathing and scrubbing is the only real answer to the problem of lure ingredients and lure odor on the hands, face and hair.

I just plain smell most of my daily life as I am formulating something, preparing other things for aging or mixing ingredients for blending, adding skunk to batches or just bottling it for lure makers sales.

I dont go to town much or socialize alot but that is ok with me. LOL The big exposure is doing wildlife control for domestic type folks. Then fifi, rover and the cats are like leaches on my feet and pant legs. Gotta kick them off at times. Little buggers try to pee on my feet and pant legs, then some try to hump my leg, have to watch them all the time.

The shoes like Asa says are the items you just cant hide.I am sure I leave a scent trail back and forth to all my sets in the winter since I am in my shop daily back and forth.

Re: Been into the gum asafoetida.... [Re: Bob Jameson] #219344
06/03/07 09:55 AM
06/03/07 09:55 AM
Tyler Co. WV
tctrppr Offline
trapper
tctrppr  Offline
trapper

Tyler Co. WV
Asa, Bob, and Paul,

That's ok - keep doing what you're doing. We still like you-stink or no stink. Ain't nothing wrong with the fragrance of beaver castor, no matter what the wimmen folk think

Re: Been into the gum asafoetida.... [Re: Fergustrap] #219359
06/03/07 10:07 AM
06/03/07 10:07 AM
Gulliver, Michigan
A
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper
Asa Lenon  Offline
trapper
A

Gulliver, Michigan
I don't think most trappers would be so liberal when luring sets if they understood how enduring and penetrating a good concentrated type lure can be. Just opening the bottle cap and sniffing the contents doesn't come close to analyzing the odor of taking a small amount on say a cotton ball and placing it out in open air. If one doesn't believe or understand this, try taking a dab of lure the size of a BB and placing it in one corner of any room in your house. I guarantee the odor will permeate every room and one's wife will be screaming Pewwww, whats that smell!!! Now according to university studies a canine can smell somewhere between 400 times and 1 million times better than your wife so what does this odor smell like to them? Then consider that some trappers are only getting a few applications out of one ounce bottles at a set so this amplifies the odor 10 fold or more. This in my opinion sometimes allows canines to stand back 10 to 50 feet from a set and analyze the odors without coming closer and they move on without working the set. I suspect they sometimes deem this loud odor as unnatural and their wary mode kicks in. The trapper sees the tracks in the sand, mud or snow and thinks the canine didn't smell the lure so they add more lure compounding an already existing problem. I honestly believe the #1 cause of set avoidances, stand-backs and walk-bys is overusage of lures. I advise one to use lures as directed on the label by the maker. I knew one old time trapper from Crystal Michigan (90 years old at the time) who caught 80 to 120 red fox per season and done it all year after year for 50 consecutive yeras on a one ounce bottle of Fox Super All Call. Personally, I would feel a bit uncomfortable using that limited amount of lure but it definitely did the job for him. I like to lure the set with enough lure so that I don't have to get near the set again for reluring any time soon. I use a gob of lure on a stick about the size of a kidney bean and double that amount in late season cold weather. I know that works and has been a reasonable balance between skimping on lure and overusage. I have seen tracks proving that hundreds of animals have turned directly into the set from distances of 100 feet or more and that is a long enough call for me. I don't believe that one would increase their harvest by attempting to call animals in from longer distances, they would do better by honing their set placements down to at least 50 feet of where the target animals will likely pass. On the other hand, I don't get many avoidances so at least for the most part i'm not overluring. Contrary to widespread belief, even bobcat can smell lures for long distances and in cold weather too. University studies concluded that cats can smell at least 25 times better than a human. I have many times seen tracks in sand and snow where cats made abrupt turns from 100+ feet in sub zero weather and headed right into blind scent sets made for coyote with no visibility factor. Being that I trap and sell lures for a living one can take this information to the bank because if I were decieving one or simply speculating I would suggest really pouring lures to a set in an effort to sell more lure. Ace

Re: Been into the gum asafoetida.... [Re: tctrppr] #219360
06/03/07 10:08 AM
06/03/07 10:08 AM
NW Arkansas
R
Rpowers Offline
trapper
Rpowers  Offline
trapper
R

NW Arkansas
i didn't know what this stuff was so i looked it up. interesting info on wikipedia. didn't think a main lure ingredient would also be primarily used as a cooking spice!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asafoetida

Re: Been into the gum asafoetida.... [Re: tctrppr] #219363
06/03/07 10:12 AM
06/03/07 10:12 AM
Underwood,Indiana
M
mask bandit Offline
trapper
mask bandit  Offline
trapper
M

Underwood,Indiana
I was thinking,would baking soda help since it neutralizes oders,or in your case Ace maybe.

Re: Been into the gum asafoetida.... [Re: Rpowers] #219370
06/03/07 10:18 AM
06/03/07 10:18 AM
Gulliver, Michigan
A
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper
Asa Lenon  Offline
trapper
A

Gulliver, Michigan
Rpowers writes...
didn't think a main lure ingredient would also be primarily used as a cooking spice!

Thanks for the information!
Originally trappers had to experiment with with ingredients they had on hand or easy local availability so it is said this is how asafoedita was discovered as a canine attractor. In the book by Sewell Newhouse of Newhouse trap fame, he tells how asafoedita being a stinky substance it was tried as a wolf call by smearing the asafoedita gum on trees to attract passing wolf packs. They found it worked and wolves smelled it for miles and came in to investigate. Pioneer lure makers than incorportated it into their baits as an added calling. Asafoedita was available at every drug store for medicinal purposes in those days so was always available locally. Ace

Re: Been into the gum asafoetida.... [Re: Asa Lenon] #219381
06/03/07 10:31 AM
06/03/07 10:31 AM
KS
T
TurTLe Offline
trapper
TurTLe  Offline
trapper
T

KS
My little brother was in India a few months back. I had him search for Asafoedita and he came back empty handed. I figured he would of been able to find it, and get it pretty cheap. Oh, well, maybe next time he's there I'll have more information to send with him.

Lifetime Member of the NTA, FTA, Kansas Furharvesters,and the Arizona Trappers Association.

Re: Been into the gum asafoetida.... [Re: Asa Lenon] #219385
06/03/07 10:37 AM
06/03/07 10:37 AM
Brooklyn, Iowa 45 years old st...
K
k9. Offline
trapper
k9.  Offline
trapper
K

Brooklyn, Iowa 45 years old st...
If anyone takes Asa's advice on putting lure in the house for your wives to smell, I think I speak for the rest of the forum when I say we expect a full report as to your findings, and any applicable photos of your wife's reaction will be extra credit.

Re: Been into the gum asafoetida.... [Re: k9.] #219418
06/03/07 11:13 AM
06/03/07 11:13 AM
N. Dakota
S
Slim Pedersen Offline
"Trapping Icon' "
Slim Pedersen  Offline
"Trapping Icon' "
S

N. Dakota
well, K9, it won't produce any different results than your own scat that you seem to be so full of and willing to display! lol

Proud to be a trapper and supporter of trapping organizations
Re: Been into the gum asafoetida.... [Re: k9.] #219426
06/03/07 11:26 AM
06/03/07 11:26 AM
Olathe, Kansas
frankb_ks Offline
trapper
frankb_ks  Offline
trapper

Olathe, Kansas
LOL, k9.
I have read this thread with a good deal of interest as I aspire to try my hand at bait/lure making as an extension of the trapping. Much like I enjoy calling in turkeys, geese, predators, and other critters with calls that I make, I think I would get a big kick out of compounding lures and baits. If any of you would be so kind and generous as to give me a hand by steering my toward good literature, or even sharing tips, I would be eternally grateful. One thing that you would NOT have to fear is that I would try to get into making baits and lures in order sell them and compete with you. I already have too many hobbies of dubious worth to be adding to them...LOL...

Incidentally, while I have yet to embark on a lure making venture, I do have to be very careful about how many and how large of skulls I put in with my dermestid beetles. Bloodhounds have NOTHING on my wife...LOL...

Be Well, All,

Frank

Re: Been into the gum asafoetida.... [Re: frankb_ks] #219431
06/03/07 11:38 AM
06/03/07 11:38 AM
Ohio
Minker Offline
trapper
Minker  Offline
trapper

Ohio
any of you tried those aluminum bars that you wet and scrub your hands with to remove strong fish odors ?

washing ones hands in the skunk essance removal mixture of peroxide,baking soda and liq. dish soap should work and be safe to wash your hands with,

what asa said about using too much lure for canines and how good a sence of smell they have , very good advice .

asa and others , i'd like to know your thoughts about if you can over lure sets made for mink , coon, beaver and rats ?

mak

Fur Trapping ;
Its not about making Money, Its All about the Adventures you'll have on the Trapline .
Re: Been into the gum asafoetida.... [Re: Minker] #219461
06/03/07 12:18 PM
06/03/07 12:18 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Online content
trapper
Bob Jameson  Online Content
trapper
B

SW Pa
As a general rule lure usage should be moderate to light applications for canines. Mink, coon and rats I see no advantage to using any more. When one applies lure and bait to a set when you are on target they will find it easily as long as there is some eye appeal and/or wind drift assistance. So large amounts of lure or bait use dont really serve any great advantage and are at times a waste of product.

Cats I prefer more lure/urine use and multiple odors at times at certain sets with eye appeal.

Location and eye appeal serve a greater role in trapping then great scent appeal. As is supported in Asa's commentary regarding the older gentleman using such small amounts of lure each season.Knowing the animal and its preferred travel haunts is primary information when attempting to trap each specie.

Far too much emphasis is placed on lure at times. Its where you put the lure/bait, how the set looks and the origin make up of the product that determines an animals reaction to that odor.Very little odor will do great things if used with good forethought and common sense.

Re: Been into the gum asafoetida.... [Re: frankb_ks] #219579
06/03/07 03:18 PM
06/03/07 03:18 PM
At home for now Central IL
brianroberts Offline
trapper
brianroberts  Offline
trapper

At home for now Central IL
 Quote:
Asafoetida's English and scientific name is derived from the Persian word for resin (asa)
hmmm, Resin Lenon

My home is wherever the wind blows
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91