Fur Handling Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
How long before you skin? #234141
06/19/07 12:10 AM
06/19/07 12:10 AM
Des Moines, Iowa
Newboy1 Offline OP
trapper
Newboy1  Offline OP
trapper

Des Moines, Iowa
This up coming season, my buddie and I are not going to have time until the weekend to skin (due to class/ not having a place to skin on campus). My question is this; Do you think that it will be ok to wait until a saturday to skin even with stuff caught on monday? or do you guys think this is too long? I doubt that any of the animals will freeze during the week.

Re: How long before you skin? [Re: Newboy1] #234145
06/19/07 12:13 AM
06/19/07 12:13 AM
West Virginia,age 49
cathryn Offline
bvr-takr-upr
cathryn  Offline
bvr-takr-upr

West Virginia,age 49
personally i wouldnt wait that long , ya can go a couple days on beaver..itll actually keep them from bleeding so much when you d skin em...

IF IDIOTS GREW ON TREES THIS PLACE WOULD BE AN ORCHARD !

Re: How long before you skin? [Re: cathryn] #234157
06/19/07 12:27 AM
06/19/07 12:27 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

oh, cathryn .. i love it when you talk trappin! lol \:\)

i'd have to say that's way too long. like already said beaver hold up pretty good, coons semi good but expect green bellies and a light taint smell. never that long on otters, rats, mink and especially fox & yotes! the sooner the better on those critters!

you and your buddy might have to rethink your line and set accordingly

good luck and have fun

\:\)

Re: How long before you skin? [Re: ] #234163
06/19/07 12:35 AM
06/19/07 12:35 AM
central illinois
C
coyotekiller Offline
trapper
coyotekiller  Offline
trapper
C

central illinois
what i would do is find an old big freezer, really cheap one, and just throw them in there, and friday night take them out to unthaw over night, then skin them the next morning. i have skinned yotes that have been given to me that someone shot a week after they have been dead, trust me it ain't fun if they havn't been frozen very well. they do stink and i would recommend wearing gloves, but i have never had a problem with hair slippage. typically i try to skin everything within the first day or two, or i throw them in a freezer. jt

Re: How long before you skin? [Re: ] #234261
06/19/07 08:05 AM
06/19/07 08:05 AM
Northwestern New York(Elder)
Jonathan Offline
"Wilson"
Jonathan  Offline
"Wilson"

Northwestern New York(Elder)
From my view, you have only two viable options in your present circumstances without time, or the facility to put up your fur in an expeditious fashion:

- Put them in a freezer until you can get to them on the weekend.

- Sell them in the "round" as quickly as possible to a local fur buyer who skins stuff - and, take a hit on the lower price of fair market value. Do some research in advance so you do not get stiffed.

If neither of those are available, you have only one viable, prudent option left = forget about trapping. The pigskin is far more important than stressing yourself out over the frustration and disappointment of trying to manage the disposition of marginally marketable hides in a decaying state (if left that long) just on the strength of the fact that you two men "want to trap." Priorities, common sense and practicality are the only variables that need be factored in this math equation. End of the hunt.

Jonathan

Camera Gear: Canon EOS 7D-MK-II, Canon EF-S 10-22mm, EF 28-135mm, EF 100-400mm and EF 400mm lenses.

Re: How long before you skin? [Re: Jonathan] #234281
06/19/07 08:27 AM
06/19/07 08:27 AM
Meriden, KS
TheRAT Offline
trapper
TheRAT  Offline
trapper

Meriden, KS
Note on coyotes, and other predators--> If you wait even one day, it can turn the leather GREEN on the belly, as the strong digestive juices begin to break down. If this is severe enough, it can cause slipage (hair to come loose from the fur), some times in large clumps, devaluing the fur.

Removing the fur from the animal while the animal is still warm, can make it much easier.

It is easier to flesh an animal after the fat has cooled.

Re: How long before you skin? [Re: TheRAT] #234286
06/19/07 08:31 AM
06/19/07 08:31 AM
Michigan
Trophyhunter Offline
"Reformed Scab Picker"
Trophyhunter  Offline
"Reformed Scab Picker"

Michigan
anywhere from 1 day to 1 year.

I survived the death clutch of Boss Hog, and am now here for my 3rd tour of duty on Tman

Re: How long before you skin? [Re: Trophyhunter] #234370
06/19/07 10:10 AM
06/19/07 10:10 AM
North Central Kansas
P
Purity Offline
trapper
Purity  Offline
trapper
P

North Central Kansas
skinning an animal like a coon only takes a few minutes. For me, I am slow on skinning and I can skin a coon in 10 minutes. If you don't have time to skin, I have to ask. Do you really have time to trap? If I skin a coon in the field, It takes hardly any time at all. I've had coonhunting friends that have skinned coons walking back to their vehicle. One holds the feet, one pulls the skin as they are walking. Hardly no extra time invested at all.

When I was in college back in the 70's I had no place to skin. all I had was a car. I would check traps, By then it would be dark. I would make my leg cuts on the coons and drive over the skinned back feet on the coons, to hold them in place and pull the skin off using the car as my gambrel. LOL. I did it in front of the apartment, in the street, and in the dark.

Point here is, If you really want to trap, have the time to trap. You can simply use your imagination and figure the skinning out.

Hope this helps
P

Re: How long before you skin? [Re: Purity] #234382
06/19/07 10:45 AM
06/19/07 10:45 AM
IA
C
cottonfoot Offline
trapper
cottonfoot  Offline
trapper
C

IA
If you do by chance have to let them sit for a day, make sure you lay everything on their backs, this will help in keeping the bellies from turning green so fast.

Re: How long before you skin? [Re: Purity] #234386
06/19/07 10:48 AM
06/19/07 10:48 AM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Unless really rotten, hair slippage becomes a problem when they go to the tanners. If you take any pride at all in your work, and have any respect for the animals you will skin them asap, so as to ship a quality product and not waste them.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: How long before you skin? [Re: BigBob] #234520
06/19/07 01:57 PM
06/19/07 01:57 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Throw the animal in the freezer if you can't skin it right away. It will take more than overnight to thaw out a beaver, coyote, or even a coon. If you take them out Friday night, it will take all day Saturday, maybe into Sunday before they're ready to skin.

I skin all my animals the day I catch them. If I couldn't, I wouldn't trap.

I don't care how nice the hand soap smells, you should never walk out of the restroom sniffing your fingers.
Re: How long before you skin? [Re: Trapper7] #234534
06/19/07 02:21 PM
06/19/07 02:21 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I already stated my opinion on this thread but I have to respond to this ...

Originally Posted By: Trapper7

That is best and much prefered by most, including myself. BUT if and when you run a good number of traps and your catch numbers way exceed "part time/hobby/weekend" trappers numbers ... even LONG LATE nights in the fur shed don't get everything acomplished sometimes!!! That's just the way it is! If I could not put off a few beavers until the next day at times ... I'd have to quit trapping according to your expectations ... and that's just flat out ridiculous!

just my 3 cents! lol \:\)

Re: How long before you skin? [Re: Trapper7] #234580
06/19/07 03:09 PM
06/19/07 03:09 PM
West Virginia,age 49
cathryn Offline
bvr-takr-upr
cathryn  Offline
bvr-takr-upr

West Virginia,age 49
Throw the animal in the freezer if you can't skin it right away. It will take more than overnight to thaw out a beaver, coyote, or even a coon. If you take them out Friday night, it will take all day Saturday, maybe into Sunday before they're ready to skin.

well..ive had to freeze a some coon when i couldnt get em skinned cause i was catching em faster than i could skin em...i thawed em a couple days before and i didnt have a problem skinnin them....actually seemed a little easier to me cause the fat was congealed and easier to remove, IMO.

i do prefer to do it as i go, but sometimes time doesnt permit, and im not gonna stop trappig cause i have to freeze a few critters..they skinned out fine when i got to them.

Good Luck.

those frozen ones give me something to do on a real bad day when i dont have any traps out due to weather conditions...just my .02

Re: How long before you skin? [Re: cathryn] #234587
06/19/07 03:16 PM
06/19/07 03:16 PM
Wy
Cattrax Offline
trapper
Cattrax  Offline
trapper

Wy
I would just as soon skin them fresh as to have to put them in the freeze too, but like Cathryn said there is just some times you have to freeze them. Plan on longer skinning time if you have to freeze them though.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-- Thomas Jefferson

Re: How long before you skin? [Re: cathryn] #234588
06/19/07 03:17 PM
06/19/07 03:17 PM
WI
W
whitetailaddict Offline
trapper
whitetailaddict  Offline
trapper
W

WI
 Originally Posted By: cathryn

well..ive had to freeze a some coon when i couldnt get em skinned cause i was catching em faster than i could skin em...i thawed em a couple days before and i didnt have a problem skinnin them....actually seemed a little easier to me cause the fat was congealed and easier to remove, IMO.

i do prefer to do it as i go, but sometimes time doesnt permit, and im not gonna stop trappig cause i have to freeze a few critters..they skinned out fine when i got to them.

Good Luck.

those frozen ones give me something to do on a real bad day when i dont have any traps out due to weather conditions...just my .02

cat, don't you mean possum?

Re: How long before you skin? [Re: whitetailaddict] #234593
06/19/07 03:21 PM
Wy
Cattrax Offline
trapper
Cattrax  Offline
trapper

Wy
NO Les she is talking about when her daughter catches the coons, she will skin them for her!!! LMAO

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-- Thomas Jefferson

Re: How long before you skin? [Re: whitetailaddict] #234594
West Virginia,age 49
cathryn Offline
bvr-takr-upr
cathryn  Offline
bvr-takr-upr

West Virginia,age 49
 Originally Posted By: whitetailaddict
 Originally Posted By: cathryn

Good Luck.

cat, don't you mean possum?

naw, smartbutt, theyre easy as pie to skin once ya do enough of em..lol , i do them all soon as i catch em

youre right trax..im sure some of the guys running snares either freeze em or hire a skinner...

Re: How long before you skin? [Re: cathryn] #234598
06/19/07 03:23 PM
06/19/07 03:23 PM
West Virginia,age 49
cathryn Offline
bvr-takr-upr
cathryn  Offline
bvr-takr-upr

West Virginia,age 49
trax..she may very well catch some this year

Re: How long before you skin? [Re: cathryn] #234601
06/19/07 03:26 PM
06/19/07 03:26 PM
Shannon Hill, VA
F
foxman13 Offline
trapper
foxman13  Offline
trapper
F

Shannon Hill, VA
taxidermist freeze em all the time. Do you think the trappers in alaska get to all of their fur before it freezes solid.? Heck we had foxes to freeze last year before we could finisdh the days check!

Re: How long before you skin? [Re: foxman13] #234637
06/19/07 03:39 PM
06/19/07 03:39 PM
Des Moines, Iowa
Newboy1 Offline OP
trapper
Newboy1  Offline OP
trapper

Des Moines, Iowa
Ok, Maybe I should explain alittle. The problem that we have is we do not have access to a freezer up at school, we both live about an hour away. I dont have class till 11 (which, depending on line size, will give us time to check traps and maybe skin a few). After 3 o'clock, I do not have class, so I would beable to skin then. We are renting a storage garage in town but it, obviously does not have a freezer. If I skin em, and roll them fur side in and make a run say, Wednesday back home to bring Sunday-Wednesday's catch to the freezer and then thurs-sat back home on saturday, Do you think that might work Okay? Tell me what you guys think. I told you my schedule, what would you guys do? I like the truck hitch gambreal Idea.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91