Wildcrafting

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~Trapperman.com Live
Trap Chat~Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar
Photo Gallery~Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Wildcrafting
Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulator Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Print Thread
Hop To
Mushroom spore prints #2660215
07/26/11 12:34 PM
07/26/11 12:34 PM
evansville Indiana age72
don Wolf Offline OP
trapper
don Wolf  Offline OP
trapper

evansville Indiana age72
Can anybody tell me anything about how to tell if you have safe mushrooms by looking at the spore prints.
I spore printed the Mushrooms that I found the other day and the spore prints came out white. I printed them on black paper.

Re: Mushroom spore prints [Re: don Wolf] #2660335
07/26/11 02:22 PM
07/26/11 02:22 PM

T
trapCzecher
Unregistered
trapCzecher
Unregistered
T

Hey Don,

There is no way to tell if a mushroom is safe just with a spore print. All parts od a mushroom should be IDed also, inclucing cap shape, surface, gills, stalk, gill spacing, cap attachment to stalk, rings, shape and veils. In addition habitat offers clues to ID. Each of the fore mentioned categories have many types within them. For example cap shapes would include sunken, bell-shaped, flat, conical, convex and knobbed. Gill spacing could be crowded, close or distant. Rings would be sheathing, double, cobwebb, ring zone, pendant or flaring...and so on

The Audubon book has IMO one of the best spore charts and includes gill attachments, veils, habitat and then spore print. There are 5 color groups for spore ID.

1 white to cream or yellow

2 pink to salmon, brownish pink or reddish

3 ochre to rust or chocolate brown

4 purple bbrown to purple black, smokey black and black

5 grey green to olive

Spores also have a great many shapes that can be IDed with a cheap microscope.

This sounds complicated but once you study shroom ID it becomes easier. Despite all the myths and rumors on how to tell if a mushroon is edible or poisonous, there really is no magic formula for this. The only way is to properly ID the mushroom and go to a reference source to see if it is edible or not. In Michigan last spring 11 people were poisoned when the picked mushrooms they thought were morels. And a morel is IMO the easiest shroom to ID.

And never eat a mushroom that someone online IDs from just a photo. Photos most often don't show all the parts of a mushroom and can be decieving. And trusting someones online word, especially if you don't know them and their mushroom knowledge, is just plain dangerous.

If you are serious about mushrooming get at least two books and find someone to give you a little hands on ID practice. You can pick samples in the field and ID them at home. Keep different species in different bags as one poison mushroom in a bag can poison others.

I know there are a couple other people on Tman that are good at mushroom ID and I'm sure they will give you this same advice BE CAREFUL, mushrooms are nothing to mess with. Each year many people eat the wrong shrooms and suffer poisonings ranging from mild digestive trouble to death.

Here's a tip This is a Yellow-Orange Fly Agaric in button stage. Amanita muscaria, edibilty rating-poisonous.
DON"T EAT THIS ONE!....lol

Last edited by trapCzecher; 07/26/11 02:27 PM.
Re: Mushroom spore prints [Re: ] #2660441
07/26/11 03:56 PM
07/26/11 03:56 PM
Michigan
Northcountry Offline
trapper
Northcountry  Offline
trapper

Michigan
My woods are loaded with those dang things.....

-NC

Re: Mushroom spore prints [Re: don Wolf] #2660501
07/26/11 04:43 PM
07/26/11 04:43 PM
evansville Indiana age72
don Wolf Offline OP
trapper
don Wolf  Offline OP
trapper

evansville Indiana age72
Thanks fellas. I think I will stick to the ones I done know. And a special thanks to you Trapczecher for your nice typed info. You just made my mind up. Heck I know all I need to know. That is, enough to stay away from the ones I don't know.

Last edited by don Wolf; 07/26/11 04:47 PM.
Re: Mushroom spore prints [Re: don Wolf] #2661006
07/26/11 10:23 PM
07/26/11 10:23 PM

T
trapCzecher
Unregistered
trapCzecher
Unregistered
T

Don, didn't mean to scare you. It is pretty easy if you study and add one species at a time.
Ther are lots of good eating mushrooms out there. And you will find like anything, the more you know about mushrooms, the more you know..lol.

Many folks think spring is the only mushroom time but summer and fall are better.

Northcountry....maybe we could sell the Amatitas to guys with mother-in-law problems?
cool

Re: Mushroom spore prints [Re: don Wolf] #2667255
07/31/11 10:10 PM
07/31/11 10:10 PM
Portsmouth Va.
A
aprophet Offline
trapper
aprophet  Offline
trapper
A

Portsmouth Va.
what are some good feild guides for ID'ing shrooms the fall we get all kind of em here popping it has just started we are getting rain again right now

I TRAP PETA'S FRONT PORCH

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread