Lures, Bait and Urine Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Storing small amounts of glands? #282790
08/02/07 11:32 PM
08/02/07 11:32 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline OP
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline OP
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
I am going to attempt to save the glands off most of the animals I catch this year(have always saved castors/oil sacs).

For the land critters I dont run a large line for them and they tend to move around there range once a week, coyotes I mean so storing them in the large-batch methods I have sen on here wouldnt be to effective in my situation.

What would be the best method for storing a few glands at a time without benefit of a freezer?

Re: Storing small amounts of glands? [Re: SNIPERBBB] #282837
08/03/07 12:17 AM
08/03/07 12:17 AM
N.W. Iowa
T
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper
Tactical.20  Offline
trapper
T

N.W. Iowa
I dried mine in the fur skinning room one year. O'Gorman told me to not dry them, freeze them instead.T.20

Re: Storing small amounts of glands? [Re: Tactical.20] #282973
08/03/07 05:53 AM
08/03/07 05:53 AM
Harrison county, Ohio
O
OHwolfer Offline
trapper
OHwolfer  Offline
trapper
O

Harrison county, Ohio
Carroll Black,"Blackie" sells a product called, "stop it" that works well for glands. Mostly sodium benzoate, but a few other things mixed in. Goodluck

ohwolfer

Re: Storing small amounts of glands? [Re: OHwolfer] #283037
08/03/07 09:15 AM
08/03/07 09:15 AM
Piney va. soon be 19
cotton Offline
trapper
cotton  Offline
trapper

Piney va. soon be 19
i have been told to just cover the glands with pee from the critters that gave up the glands, good way to age and store em.

John 3/16

ifin your gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough
VTA life member

Re: Storing small amounts of glands? [Re: cotton] #283051
08/03/07 09:30 AM
08/03/07 09:30 AM
Michigan
J
Josh H. Offline
trapper
Josh H.  Offline
trapper
J

Michigan
I fill a 1 oz glass bottle about half full of propylene glycol and add the glands to that. You can also use glycerin if you prefer a thicker consistency, but the glycol does a better job of tincturing. While neither of these liquids is a true preservative, I have stored many glands (mink, weasel, etc.) this way without spoilage from season to season.

Josh

Re: Storing small amounts of glands? [Re: Josh H.] #283105
08/03/07 10:55 AM
08/03/07 10:55 AM
Idaho
S
Salthunter Offline
trapper
Salthunter  Offline
trapper
S

Idaho
 Originally Posted By: Josh H.
I fill a 1 oz glass bottle about half full of propylene glycol and add the glands to that. You can also use glycerin if you prefer a thicker consistency, but the glycol does a better job of tincturing. While neither of these liquids is a true preservative, I have stored many glands (mink, weasel, etc.) this way without spoilage from season to season.

Josh

Josh's advise is right-on.

Work hard play hard
Re: Storing small amounts of glands? [Re: Josh H.] #283670
08/03/07 10:47 PM
08/03/07 10:47 PM

P
possum skinner
Unregistered
possum skinner
Unregistered
P

Originally Posted By: Josh H.

Josh

like has been said neither are true preservatives ... from my experiences and knowledge obtained by trial and error ... i find that while they are not really preserveing ... glycol and glycerine slow the decomposition and aging process by sealing the surfaces ... thus blocking exposure to air

i personally like a mix of glycerine and cheap high proof vodka

and generally refridgerate for prolonged storage

pint mason jars are my prefered containers

my castor and sac oil are not done this way ... i think you already said you know how to handle those anyway

eveverybody has a prefered method ... this is mine

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91