Cooking on the Wild Side

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives~Lure Formulator Forum
~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Stew......Camp dinner #306146
08/21/07 07:09 PM
08/21/07 07:09 PM
Flint, Michigan
bhugo Offline OP
trapper
bhugo  Offline OP
trapper

Flint, Michigan
This is an easy camp dinner that has been in my family for a long time. It feeds a lot of guys and is very good and filling.

1 lb. bacon-thick cut is best
1 big head of cabbage or 2 small
1 bag of egg noodles about 1/2 to 3/4 inch wide
1 med onion
couple cloves garlic
a couple hot peppers-or not if you like

cut the bacon into 1 inc long chunks and render it down in a BIG pot or dutch oven. Right before it gets crispy-take the bacon out but leave the lard. Slice the cabbage up as wide as your noodles are. Add a couple hadfulls of cabbage at a time to the bacon grease and cook it till very limp add the onion and garlic also. This is usually coctail time for us. Boil your egg noodles and drain. Add them to the cabbage and add the bacon also. Stir and heat gently for another 10 min.

Makes a lot. Good re-heated.

Brian

Last edited by Buzzard; 02/03/09 08:41 PM.

Member MTPCA, FTA and NTA
Re: Stew......Camp dinner [Re: bhugo] #6559213
06/20/19 04:20 PM
06/20/19 04:20 PM
South Dakota
H
Hydropillar Offline
trapper
Hydropillar  Offline
trapper
H

South Dakota
Originally Posted by bhugo
This is an easy camp dinner that has been in my family for a long time. It feeds a lot of guys and is very good and filling.

1 lb. bacon-thick cut is best
1 big head of cabbage or 2 small
1 bag of egg noodles about 1/2 to 3/4 inch wide
1 med onion
couple cloves garlic
a couple hot peppers-or not if you like

cut the bacon into 1 inc long chunks and render it down in a BIG pot or dutch oven. Right before it gets crispy-take the bacon out but leave the lard. Slice the cabbage up as wide as your noodles are. Add a couple hadfulls of cabbage at a time to the bacon grease and cook it till very limp add the onion and garlic also. This is usually coctail time for us. Boil your egg noodles and drain. Add them to the cabbage and add the bacon also. Stir and heat gently for another 10 min.

Makes a lot. Good re-heated.

Brian

must not be good hunters!!... sounds good but need to add some meat

The only place you find free cheese is in a mousetrap !
Re: Stew......Camp dinner [Re: bhugo] #6559854
06/21/19 02:27 PM
06/21/19 02:27 PM
MN, USA
star flakes Offline
trapper
star flakes  Offline
trapper

MN, USA
Thanks for a great recipe Brian, I saved it and am going to try it. I thought by the content it was from the South, but you are in MIchigan. Kind of Bacon Borsch.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread