ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Is ADC work full time #3098683
03/30/12 07:19 PM
03/30/12 07:19 PM
windham me.
A
allplotts Offline OP
trapper
allplotts  Offline OP
trapper
A

windham me.
1. how many of you guys do the ADC work full time and make a living from it. i have been reading this page for a little bit now and see that there is more to the bussiness than just trapping.

2. my other question is is there any ADC guys on here from Maine. i'm wondering if we have the same demand as some of these other states.

christian
Re: Is ADC work full time [Re: allplotts] #3098728
03/30/12 07:56 PM
03/30/12 07:56 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Well my bunch ain't gone hungry if that's making a living. Wouldn't know about full time though since I'm to busy chasing critters to give it much thought.

[Linked Image]
Re: Is ADC work full time [Re: allplotts] #3098746
03/30/12 08:03 PM
03/30/12 08:03 PM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Seeing that you're pretty close to Portland for the population density and right on Sebago lake for the summer cottages you might have a chance at making a living.

The dead of winter will more than likely be just that, dead, so you will probably have to find a little something to fill in.

It's all going to depend on how bad you want it.

Re: Is ADC work full time [Re: allplotts] #3098764
03/30/12 08:14 PM
03/30/12 08:14 PM
windham me.
A
allplotts Offline OP
trapper
allplotts  Offline OP
trapper
A

windham me.
warrior i would say that if you aren't going hungry and have the time to do what you want thats good.
sgs i don't do ADC work right now but have been thinking about it. trying to research the demand for it. i do carpentry and handyman work now and see this could be another service to do. then add in the exclusion work.

christian
Re: Is ADC work full time [Re: allplotts] #3098807
03/30/12 08:36 PM
03/30/12 08:36 PM
Indianapolis, IN
P
ProLine Offline
trapper
ProLine  Offline
trapper
P

Indianapolis, IN
There is a big demand for Bat work in Maine and with your carpenter and handyman skills you would do well. Bat work is also very open to scheduling.

Re: Is ADC work full time [Re: allplotts] #3098843
03/30/12 08:52 PM
03/30/12 08:52 PM
windham me.
A
allplotts Offline OP
trapper
allplotts  Offline OP
trapper
A

windham me.
proline i know we have alot of bats here but what makes you say we have a big demand for that work.

christian
Re: Is ADC work full time [Re: allplotts] #3098925
03/30/12 09:32 PM
03/30/12 09:32 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
No one wants a bat flying around their head in the middle of the night LOL only has to happen a time or 2

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Is ADC work full time [Re: allplotts] #3099065
03/30/12 10:50 PM
03/30/12 10:50 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Some days it seems like work like when the walleye bite is on and all your buddy's are calling talking about how fast the bite was, then there's these days when you have one mean customer after a nother , most of the time it's just goofing off chasing stuff up chimneys and down in muddy craw spaces high fiving your kid because he just found the mother load of dead rats yum , but then some people get this great idea to expand and hirer people to do this fun stuff for you. then stress moves in your hair falls and your wife gets a boyfriend , most customers are very happy to see you , today I got kissed by one . If you understand how the house was put together and you can climb on old shingles you'll learn bat work , and how it needs to keep out the rodents to , I truly love my job most days , I do miss having days off , but seeing there's always traps to check , taking a day off is a lot of work , and cost a lot of money sometimes . Your phone will ring on days off that's forsure , even midnight bat run calls , one missed midnight bat run could cost you a lot , you might not have for weeks then on that day off when your camped on some trout creek bam , one of the best things I like about my job is my kids and I can work it together , the small ones really come in handy in them small spots , tell a kid there's ten bucks for him if he gets that dead possum under the deck he or she is on it, most times the customer will even tip the kid if he gets dirty doing it they learn this fast and is great for there soul . But then they go all teenager and for some reason it's not there job anymore and want your job but it's all good , I guess what I'm saying if your a Dad that truly loves to be with your kids 24/7 this is great work for that

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: Is ADC work full time [Re: allplotts] #3099623
03/31/12 11:28 AM
03/31/12 11:28 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
That was quite a good post Pesky. I'm a little conflicted on the use of smaller kids being professional, however. All three of my kids were involved but not until the were more mature ( Or at least looked more mature ) I admire you for the devotion to your offspring but I'm not sure how the customers would feel if I brought my grandkids along. How about the rest of you guys? Opinions?

Re: Is ADC work full time [Re: allplotts] #3099714
03/31/12 12:32 PM
03/31/12 12:32 PM
CT
R
RF Wildlife Offline
trapper
RF Wildlife  Offline
trapper
R

CT
If the problem is solved I do not think that they would mind you bringing a marching band. Customer just wants the problem gone. For residential I see no problem, commercial accounts a different story.

Re: Is ADC work full time [Re: allplotts] #3099728
03/31/12 12:42 PM
03/31/12 12:42 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
They normal ask me to take there kids and teach them how to work , I've even get offered cash money to do so . Customers love it , this zombie generation of kids that don't even ride bikes anymore needs help . I could really care what anybody thinks anyway , there my kids and if I wish to work them thats my right . As a dad it's also my job , they also love it and save there money to buy nice things for there selfs , also kids can go to work instead of school here in Michigan and get credit toward school . Wierd program if you ask me but it's a option , I think they need school and will have plenty of time to work . I have no plans to pull them from school . There's a major problem with kids not wanting or know how to work so I guess are state gov is thinking this program will help with that . I've always worked and made my Owen money working for my dad in his fab shop and still go help him out some times . And yes your little grand kids can craw under decks a grab dead stuff and bring it back to you . Every customer will perfur that over you pulling up deck boards . Your grand kids will also get tips , and brag about how he help out grandad today and realize his or her self worth . Or they could just sit home and play video games becoming a zombie . If want zombie kids leave them home ,if want go getter done type kids load them up in the truck . If you look on strictly trapping there's a post called cutest trapper pic contest the smiles on them kids faces tell what they wish to do

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: Is ADC work full time [Re: allplotts] #3099740
03/31/12 12:56 PM
03/31/12 12:56 PM
windham me.
A
allplotts Offline OP
trapper
allplotts  Offline OP
trapper
A

windham me.
pesky that was a good post i took alot from it. i don't see any problem with teaching kids as long as its safe. my son is 20 and it would be great have him learn more and work with me more. (most) dads make good mentors

christian
Re: Is ADC work full time [Re: allplotts] #3099800
03/31/12 02:16 PM
03/31/12 02:16 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Yeah, I think RF hit it on the head. Not so worried about residential but the liability thing on commercial jobs would probably be an issue.

Re: Is ADC work full time [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3099890
03/31/12 03:46 PM
03/31/12 03:46 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
That was quite a good post Pesky. I'm a little conflicted on the use of smaller kids being professional, however. All three of my kids were involved but not until the were more mature ( Or at least looked more mature ) I admire you for the devotion to your offspring but I'm not sure how the customers would feel if I brought my grandkids along. How about the rest of you guys? Opinions?

My thoughts exactly, Wink. Little kids are almost certainly not insurable (as employees), and it does not look professional! I wouldn't want an electrician coming to my house with his eight-year-old boy. "Okay, son, go wire up that switch. Make sure it meets code."
Uh-uhhh!!

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: Is ADC work full time [Re: allplotts] #3099896
03/31/12 03:52 PM
03/31/12 03:52 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Bob Noonan, one of the giants of the industry, works somewhere in Maine. Canaan's his mailing address.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: Is ADC work full time [Re: allplotts] #3100080
03/31/12 07:28 PM
03/31/12 07:28 PM
Indianapolis, IN
P
ProLine Offline
trapper
ProLine  Offline
trapper
P

Indianapolis, IN
Pesky is right on this one. It is a balance of being a parent and knowing how to keep them safe and teaching them at the same time. A picture my daughter brags about was her at about four releasing a Raccoon and my son and daughter have captured and released more geese than most government goose experts. She is now catching Aircraft on a Carrier in the US Navy and he is a Veterinarian in Texas. Yep I am proud and the business is still getting more calls than I want.

There are situations and more often than not that Children should not be allowed to participate, it is most important to teach them how to appropriately behave.

Re: Is ADC work full time [Re: Dave Schmidt] #3100247
03/31/12 09:39 PM
03/31/12 09:39 PM
USA
B
bushytail Offline
trapper
bushytail  Offline
trapper
B

USA
Originally Posted By: Dave Schmidt
Bob Noonan, one of the giants of the industry, works somewhere in Maine. Canaan's his mailing address.

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Bob do more writing than actual working in the feild ?

Last edited by bushytail; 03/31/12 09:40 PM.
Re: Is ADC work full time [Re: allplotts] #3100303
03/31/12 10:02 PM
03/31/12 10:02 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Come on now ProLine; can you imagine ME teaching someone to behave appropriately?

Bushytail, Bob's been a friend of mine for more years than I like to recall and to be quite honest I felt pretty much the same way. It kind of blows me out of the water how much hands-on trapping he actually does. And he still loves that face to face trapping as much as I do.

Pesky, I didn't mean to start an argument. I doubt that there are a lot of people in our business that have as many family members that are an integral part of the business as "yours truly". As a matter of fact, a lot of times I won't mention it because I have so many friends in this business that wish they had family to carry on. Just keep doing what you're doing. When a man dies, the only thing he really leaves to have people judge his worth, is his offspring.

Re: Is ADC work full time [Re: allplotts] #3100317
03/31/12 10:11 PM
03/31/12 10:11 PM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
I have no problem bringing kids along on the job. While I wouldn't ask an eight year old to wire up a switch (or release a coyote for that matter), I would certainly ask him or her to go to the truck and get a cage or other tool. As a matter of fact, I would have a kid of any age do any task they felt comfortable doing within legal boundaries.

I've had kids work with me, in a few different trades, as part of a court diversion program. It has always worked out well.

If it doesn't look professional, oh well. There's more important things than looking professional.

Re: Is ADC work full time [Re: allplotts] #3100344
03/31/12 10:29 PM
03/31/12 10:29 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
sqs, you do us proud! Working with your own kids is easy. Working with someone else's is special.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread