ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Urban coyote control #3161051
05/16/12 09:46 AM
05/16/12 09:46 AM
NH
S
sgs Offline OP
trapper
sgs  Offline OP
trapper
S

NH
http://www.wmur.com/news/31067277/detail.html

This is an example of the kind of urban coyote control we deal with in NH.

No really effective tools to use. F&G's beeper isn't doing anything. Footholds are out of the question due to the population density of pets and people. Cages for coyotes are rather ineffective. Firearms can't be used.

The lady with the problem is not in a position to pay for a proper exclusion, which would be the real solution in my opinion.

Does anyone have ideas on this?

Urban coyote control is going to be big business here in the not so distant future.

Re: Urban coyote control [Re: sgs] #3161164
05/16/12 11:35 AM
05/16/12 11:35 AM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Need to find the animals core area then place snares . I use google earth sometimes to get the lay of the land . Having google earth on myipad2 makes a moble search and can be done standing in the customers yard or out in the woods . In that lady's case seems like you could place a cage trap behind the skirting where it's crawling under . Like a reverse funnel set kinda thing . Problem I run in to is the coyote are not hungry . So baited sets just don't get it done quickly . When I set narrow travel areas the coyote are using . I place 4 or 5 snares on each trail . That gets it done fast . In fall I save up coyote jobs . Around nov 1 the coyote really go for my baited or lured up sets . Come winter I use bait stations . I'll go around to deer processing shops and ask for there scraps . I take these scraps and place them in brushy areas . After a week or so I will set snares on the trails leading to the bait station . I can clean all the coyote out this way . I will knock on doors .tell the people that there neighbors are having trouble . Some will let me trap there and some will not . In most cases I'll gane new customers for other kinds of animal control . I also use a very dog and deer friendly snare . Snares will take down the smartest coyote . The smart coyote will smell you checking your snares . Try to set them where they can be checked twice aday from a distance . Smart coyote will see your tracks in the snow try to set them just before new snow is coming . There very easy to catch as long as you don't let them know your after them . Once they have there guard up it just takes longer . Walking threw a area that people dont normaly use is just going to spook them . Kinda like deer hunting your better of just hunting the edge than walking right out in the middle running everything off .

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: Urban coyote control [Re: sgs] #3161191
05/16/12 11:59 AM
05/16/12 11:59 AM
Worcester County, MA
Dave Shumway Offline
trapper
Dave Shumway  Offline
trapper

Worcester County, MA
Yup SGS, That situation calls for a top notch exclusion job. As I'm sure you know, we are limited to only cage traps, or shooting. I have set up bait stations, tree stand or free standing platform and trail cams to pattern their habits and timing. And then go sit in the stand at the appropriate time, and wack-em with a well placed arrow. Of course, I use a rifle if the distances to other homes are adequate, but that is rare.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread