ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Experienced Coyote Denners #3163525
05/18/12 11:59 AM
05/18/12 11:59 AM
Nevadafornia
L
Lazarus Online content OP
trapper
Lazarus  Online Content OP
trapper
L

Nevadafornia
So any tips or tricks to finding and denning coyotes. Howl before daylight . . . listen for a den of pups . . . go back about 8:30 or 9:00 and try to get right on top of them with the dog, then do a couple of howls and see if they come for the dog? Shoot the adults, then try to back track them to the den?

What tools do you use and carry? Shovel, pick, flashlights, road flares, catch pole?

Looking for some tips from guys with experience.

Re: Experienced Coyote Denners [Re: Lazarus] #3163552
05/18/12 12:20 PM
05/18/12 12:20 PM
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Nic Pallo Offline
trapper
Nic Pallo  Offline
trapper

Finger Lakes Region, NY
I have No experience doing denning work but it sounds like your on the right path. I'd try the howling right before dark or right after dark myself to locate the dens. Thats how we do it to scout for calling spots anyway. Hope others with experience pipe in here. What kind of dogs are you using? Jagds?

Last edited by Nic Pallo; 05/18/12 12:20 PM.
Re: Experienced Coyote Denners [Re: Lazarus] #3163584
05/18/12 12:48 PM
05/18/12 12:48 PM
Lower Alabama (Daleville)
L
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Offline
"Professor"
L

Lower Alabama (Daleville)
I recommend that you conduct a 3 year ADVANCED SEARCH for denning. My 3 year ADVANCED SEARCH brought up 179 replies containing the word denning. Extending the search to 6 years found 59 more. Not every reply addressed “coyote denning”, so be selective about which replies you open. Many of the replies were from some of the most experienced coyote trappers in the nation. Here are a couple examples
http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1947025/Coyote_Coyote_Denning.html#Post1947025
http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthrea...html#Post674706

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Re: Experienced Coyote Denners [Re: LAtrapper] #3163604
05/18/12 01:09 PM
05/18/12 01:09 PM
Nevadafornia
L
Lazarus Online content OP
trapper
Lazarus  Online Content OP
trapper
L

Nevadafornia
Originally Posted By: LAtrapper
I recommend that you conduct a 3 year ADVANCED SEARCH for denning. My 3 year ADVANCED SEARCH brought up 179 replies containing the word denning. Extending the search to 6 years found 59 more. Not every reply addressed “coyote denning”, so be selective about which replies you open. Many of the replies were from some of the most experienced coyote trappers in the nation. Here are a couple examples
http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1947025/Coyote_Coyote_Denning.html#Post1947025
http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthrea...html#Post674706

Ya, I did that. The best info is from Bob Wendt (both his posts on here and his fox trapping DVD that has denning information on it). Just wondering what else I was missing.

Kemmer Curs

Re: Experienced Coyote Denners [Re: Lazarus] #3164164
05/18/12 09:55 PM
05/18/12 09:55 PM
tennessee
ccary Offline
trapper
ccary  Offline
trapper

tennessee
O'gormans catalog has some videos on the subject, including Vern Dorn

Re: Experienced Coyote Denners [Re: Lazarus] #3165768
05/20/12 11:42 AM
05/20/12 11:42 AM
North of the river in missouri
I
inthetallgrass Offline
trapper
inthetallgrass  Offline
trapper
I

North of the river in missouri
Denning is something that you pick up on over time the more you do it the better you get no quick video on how to do it well. OG's video touches on some aspects but sound and pic quaility very poor. Also geographics will change across the country.

A few aspects to look for even in a "busy" place, look for the quite spots, close to water and has cover around it. Most coyote dens will be within 2 miles of an area they are killing on.You can knock out alot of the open areas and heavy traffic spots as less likely areas and concintrait more on the areas with less intrusion. You can locate at night prior to sun down and the pups will answer but in most cases a little early for that yet. If you locate early morning your not lkikely getting a den location but the adults may still be out hunting.

Some are easy to find others are really tough due to the cover and terrain they use. AS the pups get older look for matted down grass and trails to and from straight line from a water source.

Re: Experienced Coyote Denners [Re: inthetallgrass] #3169570
05/23/12 09:11 AM
05/23/12 09:11 AM

K
K9man
Unregistered
K9man
Unregistered
K

Considering how dry it is in Nevadafornia, I would start where intheweeds last sentence said - the water holes and back track from there to the closest shaded/brushy areas. Once the pups get big enough to be out and about with the parents there should be alot more sign and howling should get them to answering. JMO.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread