ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Snake fence? #3170357
05/23/12 09:26 PM
05/23/12 09:26 PM
southwest, VA
andyva Offline OP
trapper
andyva  Offline OP
trapper

southwest, VA
Anybody have any experience with the snake fence sold by discount wildlife supply? Or just buying from them in general?

I've got a customer with a yard between a swamp and a cliff, with an overgrown field in back. I think if crude oil was cheaper he would be willing to build a moat and set it on fire. The main problem he is having is getting people to mow his grass, they keep getting chased off by "copperheads". It's one of those inspections where you don't say anything when you see a snake in the crawlspace cause your afraid gramps might throw a load of number sixes up under there for good measure.

When I signed up for this junk, I thought it was gonna be possums and coons, good thing I went to that church with my cousins long enough to get comfortable around snakes!

Re: Snake fence? [Re: andyva] #3170501
05/23/12 10:45 PM
05/23/12 10:45 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
It works as advertised. It's nothing more or less than the bird netting you can get from the big box stores. Personally I can't stand the stuff used for that application as it is almost always lethal. It works due to entanglement and even with daily monitoring the fine mono will slice and dice a snake so live release is really not an option.
I'm not sure how the DNR would rule on it's use but it definitely violates the spirit of trapping regs and my states blanket protection of nonvenomous species.

[Linked Image]
Re: Snake fence? [Re: andyva] #3170521
05/23/12 11:08 PM
05/23/12 11:08 PM
southwest, VA
andyva Offline OP
trapper
andyva  Offline OP
trapper

southwest, VA
I believe that snakes get the bad end of the stick all too often, but this guy is a danger to him self and the environment with his phobia, that is the onlyu reason I thought of it in this instance. I guess the right thing to do is mention applicable laws, although I know our game department really doesn't care.

Re: Snake fence? [Re: andyva] #3170588
05/24/12 12:31 AM
05/24/12 12:31 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
I had a call last summer from one like that. She had that stuff strung around her back yard, which was a jungle of ornamental plantings right up to her back door. Her complaint was the odor from the dead snakes, three black rats and a racer. She knew exactly what the source was but her phobia wouldn't even let her look at a dead snake as I found out the hard way.
You would think she would have listened to my advise to remove their feeders, let me trap the rats and chipmunks and the level the jungle she called a flower garden.

[Linked Image]
Re: Snake fence? [Re: andyva] #3170943
05/24/12 11:47 AM
05/24/12 11:47 AM
southwest, VA
andyva Offline OP
trapper
andyva  Offline OP
trapper

southwest, VA
I took the moral high ground on this one, set some sticky traps for him to check, and sold him on having me out periodically to check all his rock walls for snakes, preferably on a sunnier day than today. On closer inspection, those are ten guage wads laying all around the place, might paint my tongs blaze orange.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread