ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Free Enterprise #3250032
07/30/12 09:30 AM
07/30/12 09:30 AM
NH
S
sgs Offline OP
trapper
sgs  Offline OP
trapper
S

NH
Instead of further dragging the NWCOA thread off course I wanted to start a discussion concerning free enterprise.

USNret grabbed onto a definition of free enterprise as follows...

According to Webster, Free Enterprise is defined as: freedom of private business to organize and operate for profit in a competitive system without interference by government beyond regulation necessary to protect public interest and keep the national economy in balance...

In my opinion, that is not free enterprise. "Protecting the public interest" is such a nebulous term that it can mean anything and is antithetical to the actual meaning of the term.

For me, free enterprise is...

an economic system that provides individuals the opportunity to make their own economic decisions, free of government constraints, and as private profit-potential businesses.

"The key ingredient of the free enterprise system is the right of individuals to make their own choices in the purchase of goods, the selling of their products and their labor, and their participation in business structure."

The right to make your own decisions concerning how you will operate your business. Telling another man how he should conduct his affairs is bad form indeed.

So when you hear me talking of "free enterprise" this is what I'm talking about.

Re: Free Enterprise [Re: sgs] #3250142
07/30/12 11:50 AM
07/30/12 11:50 AM
Gainesville, Alachua, Florida,...
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

Gainesville, Alachua, Florida,...
Knowledge is power. Wise men seek it.

I am not disagreeing with you but were talking Earth and something not as ideal as Utopia. Everyone is already in our business anyway in this digital age today. Other Trade organizations want a hand in our business too like previously NPMA now improved because of WCT and NWCOA'S involvement, and our real and even bigger threats HSUS and USDA WS. Our real enemies use the media and raise phenomenal amounts of $$ stirring up peoples emotions showing pictures of pets yet never contribute a dollar locally and worse. and the other threat continues to grow by Congressional Approval.

With such threats to our industry there is gonna need to be some protectionism to survive.

Lets Step Back In Time And See Other Attacks At The Free Enterprise Of This Industry

Video Interview That Discusses The Case.
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2311572/victory_for_california_wildlife_control_professionals/

Anyone remember the six year battle that was fought in California. This was a case involving the free enterprise rights of all nuisance wildlife control operators for the entire state of California. The State Of California lost $6.5 million dollars in the US Ninth District Court.

Merryfield v. Lockyer US Ninth District Court Jan 06, 2009

http://www.ca-wco.org/
http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2008/09/15/0516613.pdf

This wasn't the end other states like Florida, Texas and Maryland have also stepped up government funding to protect the consumer which have all affected many part timers in this industry .

Small town NH is not like much of the rest of America anymore. That's a bad thing and not a good thing but its the truth.

The needs and concerns of a part timer or "moonlighter" vs a full time business owner are different and so are their skill sets like salemanship, business image, branding, marketing and staying off the front page of a local newspaper are important too.

I have probably spent the last five years publishing things about protecting the public interest in this industry by folks who want to know more about their trade and doing it better and wanting to grow their business's. My own business has grown because of this industry wanting to grow their own business's by learning from each other and protecting a trade at the same time .

Whats worse a trade organization looking out for its members or the State or federal Government enacting laws to put you out of business overnight?

Pick One! There is no third Choice.

This is real world.

Michigan is talking about doing what was done to me in Florida in 2007 and five years later still screwed up?

http://pescopestcontrol.com/limited-licensing-is-a-go-for-florida-wildlife-removal-operators/

Find Our Podcasts @ http://www.thewildlifepro.net
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread