ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Pesky & Son Started This [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3279116
08/17/12 10:25 PM
08/17/12 10:25 PM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

Mofarmboy...you shure sound edgucated! Hehe....

In all seriousness...very well said. That is exactly the point of this thread.

Re: Pesky & Son Started This [Re: MoFarmBoy] #3279257
08/17/12 11:59 PM
08/17/12 11:59 PM
Frankfort, Ky. USA
T
trapperpaw Offline
trapper
trapperpaw  Offline
trapper
T

Frankfort, Ky. USA
Mofarmboy that was very well said.
My last thoughts on this subject I think.
The police stopped the vehicle in question because they thought there might be a problem and they thought the animals weren't movin properly. They saw the animals were ok then let the wco go on their way. Everyone else who saw the animals never had that luxury. They just saw the animals that didn't seem alright. Pesky we know they were alright we don't have to worry about us..it's them.
In this close presidential election the difference may just be Romney strapping his dog to the roof of his car on vacation. I know there are other issues but this will influence some voters. It would not surprise me to see some jurisdictions pass a law preventing not only that but maybe outlawing dog boxes where the animal can see the ground moving or whatever. Who knows where the logic will take them.
Pesky for no other reason than you or your son might someday run for president hide your stuff.

Sleep'n with an animal..I can help.
Do not use both feet when testing the depth or temperature of the water
Your Friend,
Paul Brooker
Re: Pesky & Son Started This [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3279276
08/18/12 12:21 AM
08/18/12 12:21 AM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
So how many animals you all catch anyway . What's the weekly catch rate on a real good company . Seeing you guys know all . Must be catching 100 to 200 per week my guess . Got them fancy shirts on and all . Running everything perfect and doing and acting 100 % right . You can go ahead and show us all . That is your job right , you trap animals causing damage . Is that why you never post any pictures because you don't wish to make us feel bad I know but go ahead . You guys have been trying to show me well go ahead what's that saying , when the tail gate drops what stops .

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: Pesky & Son Started This [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3279285
08/18/12 12:34 AM
08/18/12 12:34 AM
Missouri
MoFarmBoy Offline
trapper
MoFarmBoy  Offline
trapper

Missouri
Sad.

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury
box, and the cartridge box.
Re: Pesky & Son Started This [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3279336
08/18/12 01:45 AM
08/18/12 01:45 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline OP
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline OP
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Pesky, my animals enjoy the same A/C in the summer and the same heat in the winter, that I do in the Transit Connect. ( They also enjoy the 26 MPG.) I use transfer cages so smell is minimal. I'm not asking anybody to do it my way, but I can't even imagine what it must have been like in the back of a pick-up in the hundred degree heat this summer. They don't sell truck caps in Michigan?

sqs, good defense, do you hose your animals off too?

MoFarmBoy, you sound more like MoMastersDegree. Good post!

Mr. Brooker's thoughts were why I posted this in the first place. When a cop pulls you over because he's worried about the health of the animals, how many other drivers felt the same? This is not a sport or a pastime, this is a profession.

Re: Pesky & Son Started This [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3279382
08/18/12 02:48 AM
08/18/12 02:48 AM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Last time I checked Paul that's what they do on horse farms . Where do you guys learn all this crap .

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: Pesky & Son Started This [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3279455
08/18/12 06:42 AM
08/18/12 06:42 AM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

School...listening....conferences.

Think about it.....some guys have 5 or more trucks. To support that equipment, they have to be catching something. Why brag about the catch? No need too.

Re: Pesky & Son Started This [Re: Peskycritter] #3279502
08/18/12 07:41 AM
08/18/12 07:41 AM
Dayton, OH
trapper4hire Offline
trapper
trapper4hire  Offline
trapper

Dayton, OH
Originally Posted By: Peskycritter
So how many animals you all catch anyway . What's the weekly catch rate on a real good company . Seeing you guys know all . Must be catching 100 to 200 per week my guess . Got them fancy shirts on and all . Running everything perfect and doing and acting 100 % right . You can go ahead and show us all . That is your job right , you trap animals causing damage . Is that why you never post any pictures because you don't wish to make us feel bad I know but go ahead . You guys have been trying to show me well go ahead what's that saying , when the tail gate drops what stops .

This proffesion is not just catching animals. Fellas I think all of our attempts to HELP here have always and will continue to fall on deaf ears. dare we remember the epic woodpecker debate of a few weeks ago? Some people just refuse to listen no matter how many facts or LAWS you slap them with.

Not all of us have aspirations of having a huge fleet of techs on the road, myself included. As long as I can support my wife and kids and put enough away for our future I'll be a happy NWCO. And consider myself a success.

Pesky I dont think many on THIS forum care too much about who catches the most animals. To me this forum is a place to exchange ideas, consult with peers, get advice from experienced operators...etc, This isnt a bragging board at least not to me. Congrats to your son for catching 250 animals per month.

A "fancy" shirt with a logo costs me $22.00 so I can 3 for the price of a single cage, It is an investmentin my company just like a cage. Please buy/wear a belt. $12 for a pocket polo work shirt at Raven Rock work wear, $10 to logo it at Embroidme.

I would suggest looking at the companies around your area that you consider successful. Study them. What sets them apart? Why are they successful? Make a blueprint from what you see. Do they wear uniforms?....and belts?

Im not sure what your goals are for your company. I Have no doubt you are a good trapper, But If your not willing to grow PROFESSIONALLY then your company is going to struggle to grow.

Advanced Wildlife Managememnt
www.daytonwildlifepro.com
Chris O'Banion
NTA Life Member
OSTA Life Member
Re: Pesky & Son Started This [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3279736
08/18/12 11:40 AM
08/18/12 11:40 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
trapper
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Pesky, I don't go out of my way to make the animals comfortable; they just get lucky when they're caught by me. You can see why on page 30 of the Nov/Dec 2011 issue of WCT. Does your son wear any type of uniform when he works for his company?

Re: Pesky & Son Started This [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3279870
08/18/12 01:58 PM
08/18/12 01:58 PM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Paul, Pesky doesn't need to be defended. He needs to be left alone to run his business as he sees fit and so does the guy his son works for.

I was raised by a nag and was married to a nag and I know nagging when I see it and you Paul, are a nag. What you're doing to Pesky is nagging. Nothing more.

Pesky doesn't represent anyone but himself and neither do you, me, or the others.

Who elected you to represent "the industry"?

Wear uniforms? Look, uniforms are to impress the person wearing them. That's all. Customers couldn't care less how you're dressed as long as it's appropriate to the job and jeans and a tee shirt is appropriate for most work a wco will run into. In the heat, shorts and a tee shirt or even a tank top is more appropriate than any uniform.

Which one of you is going to tell Kirk DeKalb how he is hurting the industry because he doesn't wear a uniform? Go tell Jim Comstock or Steve Albano or Dave Vinke or Clint Locklear how unprofessional they are because they don't dress like you.

Tend your own garden.

Re: Pesky & Son Started This [Re: sgs] #3279923
08/18/12 02:50 PM
08/18/12 02:50 PM
Dayton, OH
trapper4hire Offline
trapper
trapper4hire  Offline
trapper

Dayton, OH
Originally Posted By: sgs
Wear uniforms? Look, uniforms are to impress the person wearing them. That's all. Customers couldn't care less how you're dressed as long as it's appropriate to the job and jeans and a tee shirt is appropriate for most work a wco will run into. In the heat, shorts and a tee shirt or even a tank top is more appropriate than any uniform.

Which one of you is going to tell Kirk DeKalb how he is hurting the industry because he doesn't wear a uniform? Go tell Jim Comstock or Steve Albano or Dave Vinke or Clint Locklear how unprofessional they are because they don't dress like you.

A knight in shining armor here to stand up for peskys honor. I've only had the pleasure to meet 3 of the men you mentioned and everytime they have been wearing a logo shirt. I would be willing to bet that most full time NWCO's wear some sort of uniform when they are in the public eye. Do I think Pesky looking like a vagabond hurts my image? NO. But I do believe that the videos he puts on the internet hurts public perception of our industry. Not to mention all of the false information he posts on this forum. He fits right in with the turtleman and billy.

Chris O'Banion
NTA Life Member
OSTA Life Member
Re: Pesky & Son Started This [Re: trapper4hire] #3279952
08/18/12 03:25 PM
08/18/12 03:25 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Will just take a moment of this thread to pass on two things I heard back more than a decade or so ago that have stuck with me.
These were actually from folks who were primarily fur trappers not ADC or NWCO types.

Here they are -

1) "Do No Harm" - This one is pretty simple, if you can't improve something at least try not to harm it by your actions. This can be
policy, industry, image, take it any way you would like.

2) "Always imagine someone is video taping or photographing what you are doing." - This one really hits home with how many folks
are using youtube, facebook, websites, forums and other places to document what they want the world to see. If
those things cause policy changes (and we all know they do and even recently in NV and other places have caused
major problems even when not intended as they were taken), laws to be created and impacts to your "fellow" business
owners, you'd think folks might hold back a bit.

I was taught a long time ago that just because you see something one way, doesn't mean another person will see things that way. Especially
when it is photo, video, forum chat, etc... that can be way out of context and can include things that cause even a minority of people to go
and push for new laws and regulations because they are offended.

We all know people who only hire a professional wildlife company because they can't stand the thought of harming the animal themselves.
This is probably one of the greatest reasons many people do call. Then they look online and see pictures and video all of which DO COME UP
ON GOOGLE SEARCHES EVERY SINGLE DAY ALL AROUND THE WORLD!!!

And they think, thats awful! Why aren't we stopping these folks from doing this, they obviously aren't professional.

I do subscribe to most of what has been said by those looking for a professional image on this thread, that doesn't mean I think you can't be
a pro without a uniform, or can't be a pro if you don't drive a certain year vehicle, etc....

But when it comes to how our industry is viewed, don't ever get twisted in your mind that these things don't matter over all and that we would
have far more industry respect if people would stop having a ME view and start having an US view.

That old statement "it is difficult to soar with the eagles when you are surrounded by turkeys" is not really off the mark. Try selling yourself as
part of a professional group when the folks you are talking to just saw the "other" example a week ago doing something that looks like it belongs
on A&E or Animal Planet.

All I can finish with is while I agree, to each his own, if you put your "wares" on this site and brag about them, don't expect folks who want the
industry to be professional to not snipe you, it should happen by those who care.

Most only care about themselves and their own bottom line and we can clearly see them through their words.

To each his own, just works till the state decides that the "public resource" is not being managed properly or by the right people and then its all
over.

Back in the day we didn't have instant twitter, FB, internet, we only had rotary phone, nightly news and newspaper. Imagine how fast and easy
folks are sharing their "dislikes" with their favorite politicians and animal activist groups these days....

Good luck to you!

Justin

Re: Pesky & Son Started This [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3280007
08/18/12 04:22 PM
08/18/12 04:22 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
trapper
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
sqs, you will never win this one. This time it is I who is defending everything you are against; inane laws, regulations, and rules, sent upon us by the big-mouthed few that saw animals under a condition that their mind didn't feel was acceptable. I used to be Pesky and I'm only trying to help him and all of us to see through different colored lenses.

Hey, maybe some of you might think that I go out of my way to criticize Pesky, but I'm also the first one to tell him that in many cases, he does great! And, besides, this whole post is about his son, not Pesky. ( And, if it were my son, don't think for a minute, that I wouldn't defend him and be just as proud as Pesky )

Re: Pesky & Son Started This [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3280073
08/18/12 05:19 PM
08/18/12 05:19 PM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Paul, I'm not looking to win anything.

Quote:
This time it is I who is defending everything you are against; inane laws, regulations, and rules, sent upon us by the big-mouthed few that saw animals under a condition that their mind didn't feel was acceptable.

Paul, making up inane rules to ward off inane rules is...well...inane. I do understand the idea that we should hide what we do so that the antis don't get their panties in a twist but neither you or me have a right to be telling others how they should be conducting their own business.

You and a very small group, have decided that you know best how all of us should conduct our business (right down to how we should dress) and anyone who has different ideas on how they will run their business is subject to nagging, criticism and ridicule by the few. You are in the minority. A very small minority. Most wco's ignore this type of bs and just go about their jobs as if the holier than thou crowd doesn't exist, because frankly, for 99% of the wco's in this country, you don't exist.

You're not protecting the industry, you're not advancing the industry, you're not representing the industry. You're meddling where you are not welcome and that is in how another man conducts his own business.

Like I said before, tend your own garden.

trapper4hire, did you meet these guys out on a job site? I haven't met any of them but I have seen many of their videos and never have I seen any of them wearing a uniform.

Now we might have a problem of definition here. If you consider a t-shirt with a logo a uniform, that's just fine. I still don't think it's necessary but for anyone interested in doing it, great. As a matter of fact, if anyone wants to wear a real uniform, that's fine too. What I have a problem with is people who think they are somehow superior to others in their trade and who think they have a right to stick their nose into and criticize how another man conducts his own business.

Pesky dresses like a vagabond? Get off your high horse.

Re: Pesky & Son Started This [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3280115
08/18/12 06:03 PM
08/18/12 06:03 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
trapper
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Like I said sqs, you are never going to win this one. This is not about a dress code. I personally don't follow one. I asked Pesky about his son for my own understanding. Just like you and many others on this site, I have a feeling of admiration for what Pesky is doing for and with his family on an everyday occasion. Pesky seems to have a real talent for a lot a different things. If you think that I would spend this much time criticizing a guy in another state just for the fun of it, then you don't know me ( or the rest of us ) very well.

There is a distinct difference from trying to improve someone's business than trying to look like some kind of big shot. Like I said before, I used to be Pesky and being somewhat older than he is, the change ain't easy. You can either go down flaunting your own way of doing things or you can learn to cope and be a help to future generations. And I believe that we are all tending our garden as much as possible.

P.S. If you think that I don't understand your fight for the underdog, you would be wrong again.

Re: Pesky & Son Started This [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3280140
08/18/12 06:21 PM
08/18/12 06:21 PM
Dayton, OH
trapper4hire Offline
trapper
trapper4hire  Offline
trapper

Dayton, OH
Of the 5 men you mentioned only 2 have videos that I'm aware of locklear and dekalb(if the others do I'd love to see them as well). I have 4 of clints vids and 1 of dekalbs, all of them take place in either texas brush country or southern swamps, the APROPRIATE atire for this type of trapping is a little different than when your knocking on Joe Homeowners doors, introducing yourself as a PROFFESIONAL. So the 2 are not related.

The Shirt issue is actually minor to me. And actually I agree whole heartedly with you, NONE of us should be able to tell another man how to run his business. And appearing more professional gives me an advantage over anyone foolish enough to not dress the part. If you look earlier in the thread Pesky brought up "FANCY" shirts. My original reply was merely to point out that they are not expensive. You took it from there. And yes I think it is outrageous to let your crack hang out or your belly or what ever when you are working as a proffesional at someones house.

My real frustration with Pesky is in his posting of pure falseness, and his recent posting videos of animals being TOSSED!

Last edited by trapper4hire; 08/18/12 06:25 PM.

Chris O'Banion
NTA Life Member
OSTA Life Member
Re: Pesky & Son Started This [Re: HD_Wildlife] #3280148
08/18/12 06:27 PM
08/18/12 06:27 PM
Dayton, OH
trapper4hire Offline
trapper
trapper4hire  Offline
trapper

Dayton, OH
Originally Posted By: HD_Wildlife
Will just take a moment of this thread to pass on two things I heard back more than a decade or so ago that have stuck with me.
These were actually from folks who were primarily fur trappers not ADC or NWCO types.

Here they are -

1) "Do No Harm" - This one is pretty simple, if you can't improve something at least try not to harm it by your actions. This can be
policy, industry, image, take it any way you would like.

2) "Always imagine someone is video taping or photographing what you are doing." - This one really hits home with how many folks
are using youtube, facebook, websites, forums and other places to document what they want the world to see. If
those things cause policy changes (and we all know they do and even recently in NV and other places have caused
major problems even when not intended as they were taken), laws to be created and impacts to your "fellow" business
owners, you'd think folks might hold back a bit.

I was taught a long time ago that just because you see something one way, doesn't mean another person will see things that way. Especially
when it is photo, video, forum chat, etc... that can be way out of context and can include things that cause even a minority of people to go
and push for new laws and regulations because they are offended.

We all know people who only hire a professional wildlife company because they can't stand the thought of harming the animal themselves.
This is probably one of the greatest reasons many people do call. Then they look online and see pictures and video all of which DO COME UP
ON GOOGLE SEARCHES EVERY SINGLE DAY ALL AROUND THE WORLD!!!

And they think, thats awful! Why aren't we stopping these folks from doing this, they obviously aren't professional.

I do subscribe to most of what has been said by those looking for a professional image on this thread, that doesn't mean I think you can't be
a pro without a uniform, or can't be a pro if you don't drive a certain year vehicle, etc....

But when it comes to how our industry is viewed, don't ever get twisted in your mind that these things don't matter over all and that we would
have far more industry respect if people would stop having a ME view and start having an US view.

That old statement "it is difficult to soar with the eagles when you are surrounded by turkeys" is not really off the mark. Try selling yourself as
part of a professional group when the folks you are talking to just saw the "other" example a week ago doing something that looks like it belongs
on A&E or Animal Planet.

All I can finish with is while I agree, to each his own, if you put your "wares" on this site and brag about them, don't expect folks who want the
industry to be professional to not snipe you, it should happen by those who care.

Most only care about themselves and their own bottom line and we can clearly see them through their words.

To each his own, just works till the state decides that the "public resource" is not being managed properly or by the right people and then its all
over.

Back in the day we didn't have instant twitter, FB, internet, we only had rotary phone, nightly news and newspaper. Imagine how fast and easy
folks are sharing their "dislikes" with their favorite politicians and animal activist groups these days....

Good luck to you!

Justin

well said

Chris O'Banion
NTA Life Member
OSTA Life Member
Re: Pesky & Son Started This [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3280362
08/18/12 09:19 PM
08/18/12 09:19 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio

You never get a second chance, to make a first impression !

Re: Pesky & Son Started This [Re: sgs] #3280623
08/19/12 01:13 AM
08/19/12 01:13 AM
southern Minnesota
BUD25 Offline
trapper
BUD25  Offline
trapper

southern Minnesota
Originally Posted By: sgs

Tend your own garden.

I will....

Bud's Nuisance Wildlife Removal LLC
www.budstrapco.com
www.trappinmoles.com
Re: Pesky & Son Started This [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3280625
08/19/12 01:16 AM
08/19/12 01:16 AM
southern Minnesota
BUD25 Offline
trapper
BUD25  Offline
trapper

southern Minnesota
knew I wasnt the only one that dislikes his styles....... everyone jumped on me like I was made of 100 dollar bills. some people just dont know better, or dont care.

Bud's Nuisance Wildlife Removal LLC
www.budstrapco.com
www.trappinmoles.com
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread