ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Bat question #3287824
08/23/12 07:01 PM
08/23/12 07:01 PM
NH
S
sgs Offline OP
trapper
sgs  Offline OP
trapper
S

NH
First off, I don't do bat work. But, I'm doing a beaver job for a guy who has bats.

He's not aware of any place they are getting inside but he sees bats coming out from behind some shutters and from some gaps in his clapboard siding every night.

I put up a ladder and checked out the spots and sure enough there are bats there.

It's a fairly new house (15 yrs) and the sheathing is osb. I counted 16 bats but I didn't do anything other than a quick look.

I guess my question is, is this a temporary roosting spot? Seeing that they can't really get inside, will they leave when the weather gets cold? Do they hang out behind shutters all winter?

Thanks for any info.

Re: Bat question [Re: sgs] #3287842
08/23/12 07:13 PM
08/23/12 07:13 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
sqs, I will be interested in the replies. I have gotten a couple dozen large brown bats from behind an eastern exposure shutter that I swear, were there all winter. The ones on the ends were dead. Most appeared to be still in a state of hibernation.

Re: Bat question [Re: sgs] #3287850
08/23/12 07:18 PM
08/23/12 07:18 PM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

They have to keep their body temp above freezing during torpor. Otherwise, they don't make it. Similarly, they will not hibernate in bat houses.

Re: Bat question [Re: sgs] #3287870
08/23/12 07:30 PM
08/23/12 07:30 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Shutters on houses at least in our 5 state service area region provide opportunity shelters and shadow areas for thousands of seasonal structural bats.We see many such examples of roosting as was stated.The biggest consumer issue with this type of occupation is the feces/urine staining and filtering guano. Then the concern that the average homeowner has when they realize they are bats.

Some bats try to winter locally and fail.Some with experience and tenure will have a better chance and make it thru to spring. Those that follow their instincts will typically survive and migrate to better wintering hibernacula.

Our average winter conditions here are such that most all wintering attempts of our small browns in such places would most likely not survive the exposed weather conditions. Large browns are capable of enduring more harsh temps then the small brown bats but I dont know that even large browns would make it in our region either in a shutter roosting site.

If bats can absorb heat from an object, preserve their body heat in some manner via insulation or absorb thermal loss from a wall or ceiling or find warm air flow areas in a building or garner heat from other bats in a bat cluster by moving about thru out the cluster during the winter spell, they can practically speaking make it thru the winter.

Re: Bat question [Re: sgs] #3287872
08/23/12 07:32 PM
08/23/12 07:32 PM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

Big browns overwinter above ground....little browns below ground.

Re: Bat question [Re: sgs] #3287878
08/23/12 07:34 PM
08/23/12 07:34 PM
Ohio
BBM Pres Offline
trapper
BBM Pres  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Paul,

Come to my bat class next April so you know these answers, lol.

sgs,

There are 5 types of bat roosts that most WCO's will encounter: maternity (nursery), bachelor, feeding (day) roost, migratory, and hibernacula. There is a documented migration for all bat species residing above the 40th parallel. That doesn't mean they will leave the area, just that they behave a bit different than bats below the 40th parallel.

At this time of year 16 bats could be a small maternity colony, juveniles that have not migrated yet from a maternity colony, or a migratory colony. In NH, most bat colony's will be gone anytime from now through Nov 1. He may still have an occasional bat as you can have activity anytime the temperature is 40 degrees or higher. It is common for male big brown bats to move during times like this from one hibernacula spot to another.

Have the owner check the house next year starting in the middle of March through May. If he see's the bats again next year at that time frame, I'd recommend that he contact someone in the area that does bat work.

Re: Bat question [Re: sgs] #3288293
08/23/12 11:02 PM
08/23/12 11:02 PM
Haubstadt, In.
G
G Hanold Offline
trapper
G Hanold  Offline
trapper
G

Haubstadt, In.
Eric, do you have a date set for that class?

User formerly known as Hanible.

Trapping &
Removal of
Animal
Pests
Re: Bat question [Re: sgs] #3288481
08/24/12 07:10 AM
08/24/12 07:10 AM
Ohio
BBM Pres Offline
trapper
BBM Pres  Offline
trapper

Ohio
It will be April 5 - 9, 2013. I may be breaking it into two separate portions like I've done in the past where there will be the exclusion/hands-on bit and then the biology/business bit for those that are coming to the exclusion workshop in September, but I don't know at this point.

The exclusions class covers a good portion of the same hands-on information minus all the required safety classes as we work mainly on practice forms I've set up while in the bat class we go to clients locations and work on actual jobs. I want to talk with the indiviudals who've attended both and get their input first.

Re: Bat question [Re: sgs] #3288640
08/24/12 10:15 AM
08/24/12 10:15 AM
NH
S
sgs Offline OP
trapper
sgs  Offline OP
trapper
S

NH
Thanks guys. I brought a carpenter with me when I checked traps this morning he made a date with the homeowner to come back at the end of Sept. to tighten up the siding and put a backing on some of the shutters.

It will be interesting to see if the bats are still there in another month.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread