ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: More Regulation? [Re: Mike Flick] #3293725
08/27/12 06:05 PM
08/27/12 06:05 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Are franchise employees even allowed on here by the owners anymore? Since Dwyer left CC, I haven't heard a peep from anyone involved with franchises.

Re: More Regulation? [Re: Mike Flick] #3294028
08/27/12 08:57 PM
08/27/12 08:57 PM
1st civ. Div. Wood County Wi.
M
Mike Flick Offline OP
trapper
Mike Flick  Offline OP
trapper
M

Probobly not, its nice to have a say so as to who you can talk to and what color your truck is. Must be like being maried! LOL!

Re: More Regulation? [Re: Mike Flick] #3294487
08/28/12 03:25 AM
08/28/12 03:25 AM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: More Regulation? [Re: Peskycritter] #3294963
08/28/12 02:04 PM
08/28/12 02:04 PM
Frankfort, Ky. USA
T
trapperpaw Offline
trapper
trapperpaw  Offline
trapper
T

Frankfort, Ky. USA
Thats enteresting Pesky probably deserves a thread of its own. That spray may need to beregulated whether it works or not.

Sleep'n with an animal..I can help.
Do not use both feet when testing the depth or temperature of the water
Your Friend,
Paul Brooker
Re: More Regulation? [Re: trapperpaw] #3295149
08/28/12 04:22 PM
08/28/12 04:22 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Well he seems to be able to prove that trapping only works 1 out 10 times . Cant see anything that proves his family secrit spray works .. I can see its it's made the front page of the news paper. Notice how he doesn't spray the nut trees so the animals don't starve to death . Looks like this special oil spray only works on nesting animals . Not sure what that means . Possum nest or a coon nest I guess I've missed that one . I see rodents building nest and birds . Not sure if its legal to spray birds with oil . If I had it I would just stay home and make spray and make millions . Not sure how he cracked the problem of animals being able to handle much more Oder than we can . One thing forsure trapping out the damage causing animals and then repairing the holes they have made works and surly doesn't need redone after each rain . If there's bad Oder left behind they can have that killed up and I haven't seen a spray that does that better than removing the problem causing the Oder .

Free Trapper
Re: More Regulation? [Re: Mike Flick] #3295165
08/28/12 04:40 PM
08/28/12 04:40 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
secret not secrit
odor not Oder
surely not surly

Re: More Regulation? [Re: Mike Flick] #3295221
08/28/12 05:11 PM
08/28/12 05:11 PM
Ohio
BBM Pres Offline
trapper
BBM Pres  Offline
trapper

Ohio
All this guy has is a gimmick, nothing more and nothing less. There are several companies out there that use this "sales tactic" and there always will be.

If there ever was a permanent repellant that worked with a single application and there was a formula that worked on every mammal in the world that individual would become a billionaire overnight. Companies would be fighting each other trying to buy the formulas to prevent the products from reaching the market and putting them out of business in a heart beat. And if that didn't work, those same companies would come together and file legal claims against the individual keeping everything tied up in court for years.

The better question to ask is, is this legal? Does the state of Michigan (or whatever state the next guy/company shows up in) allow unregistered products to be offered and/or applied in this manner? Is a commercial applicator license or pest control business license required as well? A simple call to the regulatory authority is all that is needed to find out and possibly start an investigation.

Unfortunately there will always be a market for this type of service no matter how much you try to educate the public. At times like this I always like to remember the words of Ron White when I get frustrated with consumers, "You can't fix stupid!"

Re: More Regulation? [Re: Mike Flick] #3295319
08/28/12 06:17 PM
08/28/12 06:17 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Another waste of energy thread. This is has been hashed out so many times that I think I can rattle off names and positions in my sleep.

So let me state my position.

I'm all for regulation if it is reasonable, and that is the quandry.

* As a far right conservative I want to be completely invisible to my government, it's none of their [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] business who I am and what I do and they are not entitled to any part of it, I built it without their help all on my own.

* As a far right conservative I firmly belive in caveat emptor, let the buyer beware. I do my own homework and research when I buy a product or service if the next fellow is to dumb to do the same then he deserves what he gets.

* As a far right conservative I believe humanity is created in the image of God, animals are not. Human life is sacred and to be preserved at all costs, animals are mindless and souless beings and as such deserve no special protections.

* As a far right conservative I am free to the unlimited exercise all the rights and liberties of a freeborn child of God up and until that exercise infringes in even the least way upon the rights and liberties of my fellow child of God.

Okay, I've made four points stating my own personal philosophies and I would like to think the philosphies of our founders that seems to have been lost over the last 236 years. So just how does this jive with my support of regulation upon our industry that we are willing to fight each other over.

Okay, point one.

Even if we could put the cork back in the bottle and eliminate taxes, licenses and permits we would still have the long held practice of all wildlife being held in common. If that is still so then unregulated take of wildlife for any reason would be a broad and egregious violation of point number four.
So, we have to have regulation. As a matter of fact we will always have regulation in this area. I guess we will also always need to have this conversation in this area.

Point two.

Now this one really muddies up the relationship of point number four. I have the right to contract my labor to another, plain and simple right. Well how about I lie or misrepresent in order to gain more from my labor. I have that right, don't I? What about the contractee? Does he have the right to not be lied to? I say nope, caveat emptor, yet we also have long held examples on the books of regulation against fraud and theft. Either we go completely hands off or find a middle ground. You tell me.

Point three.

Since I made a case in response to point one that regulation of animals in de facto at this point we know need to hash out the why and wherefores. Yep, more regulation.

And on the point four.

All the above replies make my case for regulation because without them my four points of freedom only work in isolation. As long as children of God iteract upon this imperfect sphere there will unfortunately be a need for regulation.

There my case is made.

Last edited by warrior; 08/28/12 06:18 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: More Regulation? [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3295560
08/28/12 08:23 PM
08/28/12 08:23 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
secret not secrit
odor not Oder
surely not surly
Thanks papa Paul

Free Trapper
Re: More Regulation? [Re: Mike Flick] #3296799
08/29/12 03:13 PM
08/29/12 03:13 PM
M
Mike Flick Offline OP
trapper
Mike Flick  Offline OP
trapper
M

The DNR has sent E-Mails out to bat removal professionals in Wisconsin asking for input on how the industry should be regulated. My opinion is that we should be fighting to keep as many tools in our box as possible. ( Kinda like ya dont need it until the day after you throw it away) Bat trapping is not something I have ever felt the need to do, but it should be an option here, especially if the white nose syndrome is a consern. As with CWD here, If we observe a colony with wns, I think we should destroy the entire colony to help keep it from spreading. What do you fellas think?

Re: More Regulation? [Re: Mike Flick] #3296840
08/29/12 03:38 PM
08/29/12 03:38 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Sounds like common sense to me . If you know your spreading it there's no way you should . Not sure if it would do any good because they don't always hang or gather in the same place ever day or night because there food sorce is not always in the same place depending on wind direction or moisture ect .Problem could be pestcontrol company's could add that to there list . They could use them bat boards placed under the gable vents .

Free Trapper
Re: More Regulation? [Re: Mike Flick] #3297039
08/29/12 06:21 PM
08/29/12 06:21 PM
M
Mike Flick Offline OP
trapper
Mike Flick  Offline OP
trapper
M

You realy hate them pest control guys dont ya Pesky? LOL

Re: More Regulation? [Re: Mike Flick] #3297063
08/29/12 06:36 PM
08/29/12 06:36 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Mike, am I reading the bat regulations wrong or isn't it still up to the homeowner when bats are removed? What I'm saying is, if you have a bat flying around your house and I discover that you have a colony in your attic, you can have me remove them any time you want.

Re: More Regulation? [Re: Mike Flick] #3297180
08/29/12 08:12 PM
08/29/12 08:12 PM
M
Mike Flick Offline OP
trapper
Mike Flick  Offline OP
trapper
M

Thats how all but Rory at Madison DNR bat people concured with when I asked them. She seems to read it differantly, but she is a little fish anyway so, yea a home owner can pull the trigger when ever they want.

Re: More Regulation? [Re: Mike Flick] #3297548
08/29/12 10:55 PM
08/29/12 10:55 PM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

As far a wns...you will not likely keep it from spreading within your area. The idea is to keep it from spreading regions rapidly.

The idea of killing colonies that you find with wns is a bad idea because you may kill certain individuals with the capacity to survive and pass the genes along. Some individuals are making it...

Re: More Regulation? [Re: ] #3297605
08/29/12 11:57 PM
08/29/12 11:57 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted By: DaveK
The idea of killing colonies that you find with wns is a bad idea because you may kill certain individuals with the capacity to survive and pass the genes along. Some individuals are making it...

Research is finding the same thing in honeybees. RNA viruses appear to be implicated in colony collapse disorder with varroa destructor mites being the vector species. While genetic resistance to RNA viruses has not and probably will never be found genetic resistance to varroa does exist and is being found in feral stock.

[Linked Image]
Re: More Regulation? [Re: Mike Flick] #3297610
08/30/12 12:06 AM
08/30/12 12:06 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
I'm sure you are already aware that geomyces destructing, the fungal causative agent of WNS, is present in all of Europe and european bats test positive for exposure yet are unaffected by the fungus. Proof positive of resistance, probably genetic, and if possible on one side of the Atlantic its possible here.
I just pray that there is enough time for it to happen. Other american victims of translocated pathogens like the American Chestnut haven't been so fortunate.

[Linked Image]
Re: More Regulation? [Re: Mike Flick] #3297779
08/30/12 08:02 AM
08/30/12 08:02 AM
M
Mike Flick Offline OP
trapper
Mike Flick  Offline OP
trapper
M

Our bat exclusion regs were well written, keeping home owners in mind. I would like to keep it that way. I tell all my customers that I protect my own species first. Im not a bat hater, or a bat lover. I just dont put the welfare of an animal above that of a human.

Re: More Regulation? [Re: ] #3298091
08/30/12 01:06 PM
08/30/12 01:06 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Originally Posted By: DaveK
As far a wns...you will not likely keep it from spreading within your area. The idea is to keep it from spreading regions rapidly.

Definitely agree with Dave and David M. on this issue. All the research that has gone on thus far is focused on the goal of finding a solution but in reality timeline wise for many species this is likely to be a case of selective immunity and a major struggle to slowly rebuild the populations from there.

I was in WI more than a decade back now assisting as a govt. guy with CWD head processing. At the time I didn't think much of it and obviously it has been wholeheartedly embraced since then.

Culling or killing depending on which country your from reading this often just results in lots of dead animals with no actual reduction in disease. There are exceptions, but if you look at many of them closely you can find holes in the logic. Even with CWD the studies showed many of the target age/sex of deer were leaving the eradication zone yet most folks glossed over this.

In Europe they've tried to cull badger setts to reduce bovine tb, mostly animal welfare controversy and no reduction has come of this.

Geomyces destructans is a complex issue that is further complicated by the utter lack of basic knowledge of bat populations we have for nearly all other wildlife in our country. The inability to radio track throughout their life history, to find all relevant populations in the hills, forests and caves and the lack of funding in most cases.

I have worked on projects that were several million dollars and know what they can produce. However anything less is just ridiculous and the feds have thus far put forward only $1 million roughly to research and study through congress.

While we have tons of issues in our country that need attention, if we are strictly talking about the limiting factor in this issue, it is boots on the ground and the funding it takes to keep creating ideas and hopeful solutions.

The best thing NWCO's can do in my humble opinion is continue to help the public learn about the benefit of bats, solve bat problems in a healthy balanced way that protects the people and the bats and promote conservation.

In that way we all play a positive role every day we are in the field!

Justin

Re: More Regulation? [Re: HD_Wildlife] #3298260
08/30/12 03:38 PM
08/30/12 03:38 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted By: HD_Wildlife
The best thing NWCO's can do in my humble opinion is continue to help the public learn about the benefit of bats, solve bat problems in a healthy balanced way that protects the people and the bats and promote conservation.

How can they if, as it is in Georgia, any jack leg with thirty dollars and the limited ability to pass a limited questionnaire qualifies one as a wildlife professional?

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread