ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Question About Trapping Snakes #3325633
09/17/12 08:53 AM
09/17/12 08:53 AM
Dudley NC
M
Muddawg Offline OP
trapper
Muddawg  Offline OP
trapper
M

Dudley NC
I use to get a snake job every once in a while but the calls are increasing. Now, if I SEE the snake, I have no problem catching it. It's just a matter of getting my hands on it.

But, as all of you know, when we get a snake call, by the time we get there the only thing we find is the tracks where he was. I set traps but have very little success.

Glue board traps get results for me in about 10% of the time.... MAYBE.... IF I'm lucky! Once I found my glue board 12 feet away from the trap where a large snake had carried it and wallowed off of it. I found only scales that were left behind. This morning, I went back for the fourth day to check my traps only to find fresh tracks slithering past my trap. It's set with a cotton ball with a shot of snake lure on it and the snake passed by it within three feet.

I intend to go back this afternoon with a couple of swing door traps baited with live mice. But in times past, this set up has paid me little results.

Does anyone have any better ideas? What do y'all use that gives positive results? Or is it just that snakes are difficult at best to trap and 10% is as good as I can hope for?

Snakes have the potential for really making my business but I got to figure out how to catch them! I need some help!

Thanks Much!

Muddawg
Re: Question About Trapping Snakes [Re: Muddawg] #3325698
09/17/12 09:48 AM
09/17/12 09:48 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
I've never found a method I'd bet my business on but if you insist try forced sets with solid drift fencing.

[Linked Image]
Re: Question About Trapping Snakes [Re: Muddawg] #3325716
09/17/12 10:01 AM
09/17/12 10:01 AM
Northeast Wisconsin
N
NE Wildlife Offline
trapper
NE Wildlife  Offline
trapper
N

Northeast Wisconsin
Idk how cold it gets there at night but try
Using glue boards on heating pads in
The areas you see the snake activity! I have only
Done it about 3 times but it worked every time

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes [Re: Muddawg] #3325787
09/17/12 11:05 AM
09/17/12 11:05 AM
shirley,long island New york
R
rockintheocean Offline
trapper
rockintheocean  Offline
trapper
R

I am wondering ,how many of you who try to trap snakes read up on the species found in your area?I am an avid herper.That is I have a passion for reptiles and amphibians.I lived for one year in N.C. I Caught my first Southern copperhead there,My first Black rat snake .Mole king snake ,worm snake .brown water snake ...the list goes on .Then moved to Fl.Where I spent 5 years chasing snakes.
I can say this ,if you know your species that you are tring to catch it will increase your chances.Remember that snakes are secretive creatures.Many a species that I have spent tring to find I have yet to find.I travel at least twice a year on expiditions looking for them.
If your after a copperhead in someones yard , remember that they will tend to stay in leaf covered areas waiting for pray to pass them by this goes for all our pit vipers.They are ambush preditors. the coral snake would be the only venomous species that would look for pray.Rat snakes , garter snakes ,kings.most of the common non venomous species activly pursue there pray.
I can only see a couple reasons for a snake entering a house, the same reasons most creatures do ,Food , shelter , water.Eliminate these factors would keep them outside. All snakes are benifical.
No snakes make tunnels they only fallow tunnels made by rodents. Aside from mud snakes will bury them self in mud ,loose sandy soil is needed for the few burrowing species.Those species ,worm, ringneck ,mole king are all not commonly seen . Even the coral tends to spend more time under earth looking for its favorite pray , reptile eggs, other snakes ,and lizards.
I would be convincing my customers that either they have a rodent problem that needs to be addressed, doing an exclusion job like for rodents or bats to keep the snakes out of the house .Most of all , if you live in an area with venomous snakes practice on keeping an eye out ,don't stick your hands in places that you can not see what could be hiding,and remember that a snake will not chase you down .It is more afraid of you.It needs it's venom to catch pray more then self defence.This is why many venomous snake bites tend to be dry bites(no venom injected)unless they are young .They have not learned the ability to control their venom flow.As for any one living north of southern N.J. The chances of running into a venomous snake is slim to none.A field guide to reptiles and amphibians is a good investment. Learning to indentify snakes is really not all that hard. Most people still live in fear due to misunderstanding. I think it is our job to educate them more then tring to make a buck from one creature that I do think is a total waist of time to try and trap .

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes [Re: Muddawg] #3325886
09/17/12 12:31 PM
09/17/12 12:31 PM

F
foxx1
Unregistered
foxx1
Unregistered
F

some ag catalogs have the glue that is put on the boards by the gallon,i seen alot of it at hog barns,paint it on a pc of plywood lay in grass,make a funnel type to make it cross the board,this has a larger grip sevice and cant drag it off

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes [Re: rockintheocean] #3325984
09/17/12 02:08 PM
09/17/12 02:08 PM
Gainesville, Alachua, Florida,...
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: rockintheocean
I can say this ,if you know your species that you are tring to catch it will increase your chances.Remember that snakes are secretive creatures.Many a species that I have spent tring to find I have yet to find.I travel at least twice a year on expiditions looking for them.
If your after a copperhead in someones yard , remember that they will tend to stay in leaf covered areas waiting for pray to pass them by this goes for all our pit vipers.They are ambush preditors. the coral snake would be the only venomous species that would look for pray.Rat snakes , garter snakes ,kings.most of the common non venomous species activly pursue there pray.
I can only see a couple reasons for a snake entering a house, the same reasons most creatures do ,Food , shelter , water.Eliminate these factors would keep them outside.

All snakes are beneficial

I live in Florida and have trapped a few snakes. Most snake calls I receive are fear based and in most cases not even a nuisance. These can be some of the most difficult customers you can encounter especially when you realize snakes may not even exist. I don't respond to many phobic based calls and try to offer long term solutions and not a quick fix. Most snakes are captured in habitats we create.
We have a water set where we use pvc pipe , reptile stones (heat) , fish frogs in the back .

My glueboards are custom made rat mouse size trimmed to fit paint stirring sticks (free) and staples . I can cover the same area with $.36 making three custom boards and laying them down a few inches apart . Try to set walls to work with entanglement in other traps.

Snakes need warm areas they can seek from cover to protect them from raptures and us. Something as simple as setting up some rock cubbies using stacked large landscaping stone & some pre-made custom sized trimmed boards inside - rock cubby snake set. I use boards and exclude them and funneling them into a trap area. We sell them the cubbies and encourage them to keep them permanently come back and set them on a regular basis trapping service calls. So you end up with a landscaping option with snake habitat benefits.

Find Our Podcasts @ http://www.thewildlifepro.net
Re: Question About Trapping Snakes [Re: rockintheocean] #3326036
09/17/12 02:52 PM
09/17/12 02:52 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
I am wondering ,how many of you who try to trap snakes read up on the species found in your area?I am an avid herper.That is I have a passion for reptiles and amphibians.I lived for one year in N.C. I Caught my first Southern copperhead there,My first Black rat snake .Mole king snake ,worm snake .brown water snake ...the list goes on .Then moved to Fl.Where I spent 5 years chasing snakes.
I can only see a couple reasons for a snake entering a house, the same reasons most creatures do ,Food , shelter , water.Eliminate these factors would keep them outside. All snakes are benifical.
No snakes make tunnels they only fallow tunnels made by rodents. Aside from mud snakes will bury them self in mud ,loose sandy soil is needed for the few burrowing species.Those species ,worm, ringneck ,mole king are all not commonly seen . Even the coral tends to spend more time under earth looking for its favorite pray , reptile eggs, other snakes ,and lizards.
I would be convincing my customers that either they have a rodent problem that needs to be addressed, doing an exclusion job like for rodents or bats to keep the snakes out of the house .Most of all , if you live in an area with venomous snakes practice on keeping an eye out ,don't stick your hands in places that you can not see what could be hiding,and remember that a snake will not chase you down .It is more afraid of you.It needs it's venom to catch pray more then self defence.This is why many venomous snake bites tend to be dry bites(no venom injected)unless they are young .They have not learned the ability to control their venom flow.As for any one living north of southern N.J. The chances of running into a venomous snake is slim to none.A field guide to reptiles and amphibians is a good investment. Learning to indentify snakes is really not all that hard. Most people still live in fear due to misunderstanding. I think it is our job to educate them more then tring to make a buck from one creature that I do think is a total waist of time to try and trap .

Excellent Post "Rock," I think if you haven't found this already that many nwco's are serious about snake conservation. I know that for us we spend lots of hours on the phone weekly helping folks figure out first what they have and then proving to them why the snakes are good for them. Rattlesnakes the interesting thing is always the statement "I've lived here 20 years and have never had a rattlesnake." In reality most of the areas where this statement is made, is simply because the snakes were not seen, though they were there, or someone altered some aspect of the landscape, water, rodent attraction, thermal shelter.

I was never a snake guy, growing up my dad was highly phobic, never even saw a whole intact snake till nearly college outside of a book or museum due to his fear.

I do know that I "leave money lying all over the ground" by not just taking the call, the cash and catching or killing the snake. I follow an ethic that fits my wife and I and have earned respect from others who send me calls now where real problems exist.

Snakes and bats both need positive PR and are heavily maligned due to popular media, folklore and of course other notable resources! smile

Thanks for sharing, and Robb, good tips on the homemade rigs!

Justin

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes [Re: Muddawg] #3326236
09/17/12 05:49 PM
09/17/12 05:49 PM
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

Sometimes having knowledge of the size of the target snake and the size of its prey can help.

For example:

I had customer call me once they had a nine foot Burmese python escape under the floor into the subflooring. They had young children and it was feeding time and they were not laughing.

The pet snake was regularly fed young new born piglets every month and it was then day 35. We trapped that snake in one night with its dinner in a dog cage.The snake came in ate the piglet and was too fat the next morning to get out of the cage.

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes [Re: Muddawg] #3326319
09/17/12 06:44 PM
09/17/12 06:44 PM
Lower Alabama (Daleville)
L
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Offline
"Professor"
L

Lower Alabama (Daleville)
A check for snakes in the ADC Archives may bring up some additional useful suggestions.

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes [Re: Robb Russell] #3326487
09/17/12 08:07 PM
09/17/12 08:07 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
That is an awesome story Robb! Love the cage! Great visual! I'll take my little snakes out here in the desert over those pythons!

smile

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes [Re: HD_Wildlife] #3326552
09/17/12 08:34 PM
09/17/12 08:34 PM
Frankfort, Ky. USA
T
trapperpaw Offline
trapper
trapperpaw  Offline
trapper
T

Frankfort, Ky. USA
I use the large rat glue trap and stabilize it with double sided tape, staples or hercules putty from WCS to prevent him from being able topull off. The heating pad would definitely make himmore likely to end up like brer bear with the tar baby. I've never done that but I do thing I have had a few barely touch then move off because air conditioning makes the glue less tacky. I have used the gallon of glue tomake my own trapsw and causght big snakes and full grown grey squirrels.
The snake Robbwastalking about would be a fun challenge and probably delicious.

Sleep'n with an animal..I can help.
Do not use both feet when testing the depth or temperature of the water
Your Friend,
Paul Brooker
Re: Question About Trapping Snakes [Re: trapperpaw] #3326959
09/18/12 12:39 AM
09/18/12 12:39 AM
Dudley NC
M
Muddawg Offline OP
trapper
Muddawg  Offline OP
trapper
M

Dudley NC
Thanks, Guys. I got some new ideas from this.

Rock,
To ease your mind, I'm not one of the phobic people. Fact is, I kinda like snakes. They are fascinating creatures when you look at them closely.

Most of what I do when snakes are involved is education. I always point out the benefits and do my best to tell the customer how lucky they are to have a pair of them living in their crawl space. But, sadly enough, every one who calls me is deathly afraid of them and will not tolerate them being there. So, in fact, the best way for me to save the snake is to capture and remove it. It's either that or hear tell of them meeting their demise at the end of a hoe.

So, I just pick 'em up and take them home with me. Once back here they are safe and free to roam about. Yes, I have snakes under my house but I don't have mice! wink

Now, the poisonous variety is different matter. I receive scant few calls where a poisonous snake has been spotted and have brought none home alive. The last one I did bring home wound up sauteed in garlic and butter. I did run a snake call last week where the snake in question was, indeed, a copper head. I know this from a photo that the lady took of it. I never found the snake but didn't give up the hunt until I had scoured the grounds and searched thoroughly under the house and back porch. I gave up only after I had been convinced that the critter was just passing through and there was a reasonable assumption that it was long gone.

What I'm dealing with right now is what I believe to be just a common chicken snake(rat snake) inside a gardening/storage shed. If I don't catch him first he will be killed the first time the home owner finds him slipping about.

So, I get the chance to make a dollar and save a snakes life at the same time. grin Kinda noble, don't you think?

Muddawg
Re: Question About Trapping Snakes [Re: Muddawg] #3327216
09/18/12 09:23 AM
09/18/12 09:23 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
My policy is that all snakes, venomous and non, leave my clients property alive and in good health to be released elsewhere. My fees reflect that and there are no surcharges for venomous. As I tell my clients I treat them all the same, don't get bit, so I charge the same.

[Linked Image]
Re: Question About Trapping Snakes [Re: Muddawg] #3327363
09/18/12 11:07 AM
09/18/12 11:07 AM
R
rockintheocean Offline
trapper
rockintheocean  Offline
trapper
R

Opened my eyes guys ,Thanks .You know what they say when you assume..lol I do know how hard it can be to try and convince phobic people to understand.I was just concerned with seeing these glue board traps ,thinking of the snake stuck in it. One thing is for sure,a lot can be learned rom this forum.I didn't even think it was possable to trap a snake.Not many calls for them here on the island.

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes [Re: Muddawg] #3327364
09/18/12 11:08 AM
09/18/12 11:08 AM
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

I have a few podcasts related to adding snake removal as an add on service .

* NWCO Snake Calls & Handling
* Snake Removal 101
* Snake ID
* Snakes, Moles & Feral Hogs

http://trapperrobb.com/wpn-snake-removal-podcasts/

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes [Re: rockintheocean] #3327450
09/18/12 12:17 PM
09/18/12 12:17 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Opened my eyes guys ,Thanks .You know what they say when you assume..lol I do know how hard it can be to try and convince phobic people to understand.I was just concerned with seeing these glue board traps ,thinking of the snake stuck in it. One thing is for sure,a lot can be learned rom this forum.I didn't even think it was possable to trap a snake.Not many calls for them here on the island.

My problem with the glue boards when I first started trying them for snakes wasn't catching the snake, but rather catching a ton of whiptail lizards and other lizard species which abound in every yard in my state. My policy now is that if the snake is in your garage and we can't find it, or in the house, I'll setup the glue boards but they are where thermal conditions are appropriate and they are always checked twice a day.

I don't get many of those, so the snakes I do get are either like last night where the caller thinks they have a rattlesnake, and in this case and it is a great tip if guys aren't using it already - take a picture from a safe distance with your phone or camera and go in the house and email it, or text it as the case may be.

The picture while a little grainy, was easily identified as a gopher snake and not the rattlesnake it was trying to make itself out to be by flattening its head into a diamond and shaking its thin little tail. Result one picture sent, one happy citizen who knows who we are, our snake ethic and he now has some plague control in his back yard.

Tried to upload the grainy pic but inline upload wasn't working for me, ?

Anyway, good thread, and I like too what David said about the venomous versus non venomous, if we all thought about it, what would you have to charge to be commensarate with being bitten and having anti venom treatment and post care? Likely no one would be able to afford you coming out, interesting thought! I only have one price because I only go out for venomous unless it is a non venomous in a dwelling. Otherwise my price is based on the level of inspection I feel I have to give and the amount of poking, peaking and prying I must do to try to locate the snake, if the folks agree, after we've discussed that likely the snake will be gone by the time I arrive. I have a system where I will come back on another day if they call and see it again in the problem area. So far so good!

Justin

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes [Re: Muddawg] #3327684
09/18/12 03:27 PM
09/18/12 03:27 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Justin, sounds like we have hit on the same approach seperately. I, too, explain the liklihood of not finding the snake that was last seen two days ago but do offer a complete inspection if they can live with the result of no snake found but will make recommendations on food source and habitat modifications if needed. I set a time limit on my inspections so that I'm not there into next week. I discovered that with the advent of smart phones all of my callers have already snapped a photo of the snake and I get that texted to me as well.
Basically I had to find a way to turn my average unhappy a snake wasn't found phobic client into a satisfied caller even if I didn't make the sale to go do the inspection. I now do fewer actual inspections and tend to get more eyes on the snake calls so my catch rate on snakes is up and everyone else has gotten all the information they need to not hold me responsible for a needless service call.
Around these parts the glue boards pick up five lined and coal skinks plus the ubiquitous carolina anole.

[Linked Image]
Re: Question About Trapping Snakes [Re: warrior] #3327887
09/18/12 05:37 PM
09/18/12 05:37 PM
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: warrior
Around these parts the glue boards pick up five lined and coal skinks plus the ubiquitous carolina anole.

Snake Bait

Re: Question About Trapping Snakes [Re: Robb Russell] #3328033
09/18/12 06:51 PM
09/18/12 06:51 PM
Dudley NC
M
Muddawg Offline OP
trapper
Muddawg  Offline OP
trapper
M

Dudley NC
For those who don't know, glue boards are a great catch and release tool. A little vegetable oil goes a long way to freeing an unintended catch or taking the harmless snakes off the board for release elsewhere.

I to have caught lots of lizards, skinks, camellias and even a frog or too. I'll dip my fingers in the oil and very gently, I'll work it around and under the stuck critter. The oil is harmless on them and they skitter away fat, dumb and happy and little worse for the ware. The ONLY fatalities that I've had with the glue traps is two juvenile chicken snakes that the customer found before I did. When I found them their little heads were smushed flat! mad That was two that I didn't get to bring home.

And the oil that gets on the trap? After a while it either evaporates or is absorbed by the glue and it's just as sticky as ever.

Muddawg
Re: Question About Trapping Snakes [Re: Muddawg] #3328075
09/18/12 07:19 PM
09/18/12 07:19 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Once again I have to agree with Muddawg. I found it kind of hard to believe that anything stuck that well could be released that easy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread