ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Squirrel Exclusions #3341285
09/26/12 07:47 PM
09/26/12 07:47 PM

D
DaveK OP
Unregistered
DaveK OP
Unregistered
D

What has been your experience with Squirrel Exclusions? Do certain species chew their way back inside....or do they move on?

Re: Squirrel Exclusions [Re: ] #3341369
09/26/12 08:29 PM
09/26/12 08:29 PM
Ohio
D
D_Upchurch Offline
trapper
D_Upchurch  Offline
trapper
D

Ohio
Yes. Especially if there is young inside.

I would rather fail at something I love doing than succeed at something I hate. -George Burns.

SIC DIS PARA PACA BELLUM
Re: Squirrel Exclusions [Re: ] #3341626
09/26/12 10:30 PM
09/26/12 10:30 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
So if somebody locks you out of your house, where all the food is stored, where you can get out of the weather, and where the rest of your family lives, are you going to break back in?

Re: Squirrel Exclusions [Re: ] #3341875
09/27/12 06:43 AM
09/27/12 06:43 AM
Ohio
BBM Pres Offline
trapper
BBM Pres  Offline
trapper

Ohio
It will depend on several factors such as time of year, sex of the animal, presence of young, how long have they been using the structure, building construction, location, etc.

Exclusion works well during dispersal time frames and on single males, regardless of species. It does not work on lactating females with a litter.

For species with family groups that have been using the structure for several generations it will not work as well either.

Also, structures that will allow the animals to create new entrances will be more difficult as a general rule to have exclusion work on than those that don't (think wood frame structure in disrepair compared to 100% block/brick structure).

Re: Squirrel Exclusions [Re: ] #3341933
09/27/12 07:43 AM
09/27/12 07:43 AM
Dudley NC
M
Muddawg Offline
trapper
Muddawg  Offline
trapper
M

Dudley NC
I had a case once where I trapped the squirrels from the ladies attic and she didn't want me to hurt them.

Understand, I don't relocate squirrels. I feel that when I relocate a problem critter all I'm really doing is relocating the problem.

Anyway, I explained to her that I could only release them on her property. I also told her that if we did that they would be back in her attic before I could get home. Keep in mind that I screened the attic fans where they had been entering.

Against my advice, she had me let them go.

I was back there again the very next day! My screens were still in place on the fans but the gable had new damage. It took longer to catch them that time. In fact, one got sick and died off.... Extreme lead poisoning. The other two she still had me release them.

Two days later she was ready for me to shoot them all! grin

Muddawg
Re: Squirrel Exclusions [Re: Muddawg] #3341948
09/27/12 07:59 AM
09/27/12 07:59 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline
trapper
330-Trapper  Offline
trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted By: Muddawg
I had a case once where I trapped the squirrels from the ladies attic and she didn't want me to hurt them.

Understand, I don't relocate squirrels. I feel that when I relocate a problem critter all I'm really doing is relocating the problem.

Anyway, I explained to her that I could only release them on her property. I also told her that if we did that they would be back in her attic before I could get home. Keep in mind that I screened the attic fans where they had been entering.

Against my advice, she had me let them go.

I was back there again the very next day! My screens were still in place on the fans but the gable had new damage. It took longer to catch them that time. In fact, one got sick and died off.... Extreme lead poisoning. The other two she still had me release them.

Two days later she was ready for me to shoot them all! grin

Loved this reply Muddawg

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Squirrel Exclusions [Re: ] #3342036
09/27/12 09:33 AM
09/27/12 09:33 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
It works on brick buildings LOL

in my area flyers can be excluded except for on all cedar homes, greys will most of the time chew or attempt to get back in which is more of a problem than if they just chew in. customers get mad looking at all the wood, returns and gables chewed LOL. also if you exclude in say June that female may take off that is until nov then she is coming back.she choose house or building for a reason. the only time I will count on that method is when I have a trap shy squirrel that I can't catch, I can not use killer traps here in NJ. or it is a job where I know the female has just moved in in the last few days and really has not excepted the safety factor yet. Pines those sobs are ALL TRAPPED AND TAKEN CARE OF!!!! glad I have not have them around any more LOL

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Squirrel Exclusions [Re: ] #3342574
09/27/12 05:07 PM
09/27/12 05:07 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Jonesie, are you saying that you no longer have red squirrel jobs? Nobody can have that much luck. Before the little red bandits moved in, we had the reputation of being the best squirrel removers in town. ( Only because you don't live here ) Now there's only one guy that can do a decent job of getting rid of red squirrels. ( And thank God, it's me ) Of course, now that I said that, you know I'll probably never catch another one!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread