Health Issues Forum

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives
~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Allergies #1949702
04/13/10 06:37 AM
04/13/10 06:37 AM
VA
BlueRidgeTrapper Offline OP
trapper
BlueRidgeTrapper  Offline OP
trapper

VA
Who else is suffering? How are you dealing?

Re: Allergies [Re: BlueRidgeTrapper] #1952846
04/15/10 01:42 AM
04/15/10 01:42 AM
louisiana
K
Kirk Offline
trapper
Kirk  Offline
trapper
K

louisiana
iv got them here too brt take prescrip meds and over the counter also

Re: Allergies [Re: Kirk] #1957046
04/17/10 09:37 PM
04/17/10 09:37 PM
North Georgia
grousehunter Offline
trapper
grousehunter  Offline
trapper

North Georgia
I have allergies, Usually just scratchey eyes, sometimes a sore throat. My mom gets generic claritin (sp) D.

Last edited by grousehunter; 04/17/10 09:38 PM.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Re: Allergies [Re: grousehunter] #1957055
04/17/10 09:43 PM
04/17/10 09:43 PM
NC
W
wisetrapper Offline
trapper
wisetrapper  Offline
trapper
W

NC
I take allegra, and use a saline rinse in the mornings. Google the whole saline rinse thing. It works great!

Psalm 25:4
Show me your ways oh Lord. Teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me
Re: Allergies [Re: ] #1976850
05/02/10 09:19 AM
05/02/10 09:19 AM
brunswick MD
M
mr riddle Offline
trapper
mr riddle  Offline
trapper
M

brunswick MD
i just suck it up as a man should and keep on going

Re: Allergies [Re: mr riddle] #1980371
05/04/10 09:47 PM
05/04/10 09:47 PM
NC
W
wisetrapper Offline
trapper
wisetrapper  Offline
trapper
W

NC
Originally Posted By: mr riddle
i just suck it up as a man should and keep on going

YEAH......not as easy for some. kinda like asthma, some have it worse. Infact, If you have allergies as bad as I do, you will get asthma from it eventually.

Psalm 25:4
Show me your ways oh Lord. Teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me
Re: Allergies [Re: wisetrapper] #2015778
06/03/10 11:00 AM
06/03/10 11:00 AM
McKean County
V
Viper Offline
trapper
Viper  Offline
trapper
V

McKean County
been sucking on a spoonful of honey lately ... seems to help quite a bit

Re: Allergies [Re: Viper] #2016001
06/03/10 02:08 PM
06/03/10 02:08 PM
shelby county, ohio 18 years o...
J
jameson Offline
trapper
jameson  Offline
trapper
J

shelby county, ohio 18 years o...
i gotta take shots, meds, and go to a allergist every 6 months. my sis is so highly allergic to nuts that even just the residue bein in the air can kill her. shes came close to needin the ambulance called a few times

nothing better than some fresh air and a bucket full of critters!
Re: Allergies [Re: Viper] #2270234
11/30/10 04:30 PM
11/30/10 04:30 PM
havelock, NC
Rye Offline
trapper
Rye  Offline
trapper

havelock, NC
Originally Posted By: Viper
been sucking on a spoonful of honey lately ... seems to help quite a bit

BINGO! Natures cure for most allergy problems (pollen related) is local honey. I spoon full a day in your oatmeal, tea, or just straight will help dramatically in the long run.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first. "
--Mark Twain.

Re: Allergies [Re: BlueRidgeTrapper] #2874885
12/08/11 11:49 AM
12/08/11 11:49 AM
B
Billie Offline
trapper
Billie  Offline
trapper
B

Local raw unprocessed honey will do wonders for allergies. Bee pollen and propolis as well. Along with an increase in energy and overall feeling of well being too. Vitamin C is excellent for lung function with asthma sufferers.

Re: Allergies [Re: BlueRidgeTrapper] #3051990
03/02/12 11:45 PM
03/02/12 11:45 PM
north west missouri
G
G-Trapper Offline
trapper
G-Trapper  Offline
trapper
G

north west missouri
wife has them bad takes otc meds and shes ok most of the time

The more I do,The more I learn to love what I do. coyote(0)fox(0)coon(43)bobcat(0)badger(0)muskrat(o)beaver(0)opossum(2)mink(0)
Re: Allergies [Re: BlueRidgeTrapper] #3377057
10/19/12 11:51 AM
10/19/12 11:51 AM
Nebraska
N
NEtrapper. Offline
trapper
NEtrapper.  Offline
trapper
N

Nebraska
Okay have some questions. I am 30 years old and just told by my doc. that I have mild asthma and prob. allergies. Now I have been battling sinus infections and what they think are allergies for the last couples years (they have never out right called them allergies until this year and than still arent sure, I geuss?). I even had sinus surgery earlier this year to help with this. I dont get the sinus infections as often but they seem to be a little worse when I do get them.

Now the question is can you develop asthma at any time or have they just been missing it or is it something else?

Re: Allergies [Re: BlueRidgeTrapper] #3377739
10/19/12 07:56 PM
10/19/12 07:56 PM
Ohio
H
HerbWise Offline
trapper
HerbWise  Offline
trapper
H

Ohio
Hello, using my husband's acct here...as a longtime sufferer of pollen allergies and eternal student of herbal medicine I can tell you what herbs work for me, and work better than the 3 prescription meds combined that I was on (which were Zyrtec D, Nasonex and Singular---did next to crap...believe me I've tried most all of them).

Goldenrod (Solidago ssp. ...Solidago canadensis considered official but most considered interchangeable)
Poor golden Goldenrod gets the flack for causing fall allergies because people see it flowering everywhere. However it is insect pollinated therefore the pollen is not going up your nose and in your eyes. What flowers at the same time as goldenrod is ragweed, which has green flowers, goes unnoticed and the ragweed pollen under a microscope looks like it'd tear you apart limb from limb. Freaky little things. Goldenrod is great for spring and fall pollen allergies, and dog and cat dander allergies. It really helps with the eye itching. Tea or tincture of leaf/leaf and flower. Goes without saying, but don't drink goldenrod tea after you've had a few beers...you'll feel gross.

Ragweed also is good for allergies I hear (haven't tried)...you tincture the tops before the flowers open and use the tincture the next year. I've heard you should always try just one drop first, then a couple more to make sure you don't have a sensitive response, and keep dosing small (~15 drops). I'm a little wary of trying it personally but if nothing else was available I'd use it.

Ground Ivy (Glechoma hederacea)
Gardeners pull gobs of this from their flower beds. This I think may be the most underused and ignored medicinal plant ever. Leaves used. Used in the middle ages to clarify and preserve beer as well as improve flavor (hence the old time name Alehoof) before the Protestants promoted the sedating Hops for beer preservation. Ground Ivy is great for sinus infections (can be used in place of Goldenseal), post nasal drips and is cooling, so I love adding it to my allergy tea, or to take a tincture. Ground Ivy also removes soft heavy metals from the body and was used for painter's poisoning back in the lead paint days.

Mullein (Verbascum thapsus)
A must for asthmatics. Mullein leaf is fantastic for lung inflammation, constriction and subsequent wheezing.

Peppermint is also great for soothing inflamed sinuses.

Quercetin (found in yellow onion skins) is sold concentrated in tablet form (very expensive) but is amazing at stopping a histamine reaction. Get the tabs with bromelain (pineapple enzymes) for easier digestion of the tablet.

Local bee pollen. And local honey, as has been said. I find the dark fall wildflower honeys to be best, as they contain more antioxidants than light honeys, plus have goldenrod nectar in them which I talked about first. The nectar from plants that comprises honey is medicinal...I've heard (not tried) that taking poison oak honey (which is supposedly delicious and buttery) will keep you from having an allergic reaction to poison oak.

My current favorite regimen for pollen allergies is to take quercetin as I can afford it and local bee pollen, and a tea or tincture of ground ivy and mullein. The quercetin seems to eliminate my need for goldenrod, but if there is no quercetin around you can bet your buns I'm taking goldenrod or my eyes will be very unhappy.

Nettipot before bed so the pollen doesn't sit in sinuses all night...if I forget this step, I regret it in the morning. Showering the pollen off before bed is a good idea too. Why take that crap to bed with you and have your pillowcase rub it in your eyes.

Similasan makes a great allergy eye relief drop that's good to have on hand for sudden eye itching or washing a load of pollen out of your eyes that say, blew in your eyes from your open car window off of your windshield...

Food allergies are a whole different beast and that's too much to type here.....probiotics are a good start.

Happy coexisting with the pollen! Hope this helps

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread