ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Dog to assist #3691410
03/09/13 11:53 AM
03/09/13 11:53 AM
New Hampshire
Coondog6 Offline OP
trapper
Coondog6  Offline OP
trapper

New Hampshire
Hello All,

I have been thinking of getting a rat terrier to help me (on calls). I can see pluses like locating animals in hiding.

I can see negatives: how will clients react?, behavior of the dog.

What do you all think?

Thanks

The measure of a man is what he will do when he knows he won't get caught.

Coondog6
www.BestWayWildlife.com
Re: Dog to assist [Re: Coondog6] #3691968
03/09/13 06:30 PM
03/09/13 06:30 PM
Woodhull, Illinois 77
J
Jim Bethell Offline
trapper
Jim Bethell  Offline
trapper
J

Woodhull, Illinois 77
I would be afraid of the dog getting some where I could not get to. In an attic, or a crawl space. Just a thought.

Re: Dog to assist [Re: Coondog6] #3694745
03/10/13 11:31 PM
03/10/13 11:31 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Dog must be exceedingly well-trained, well-mannered, healthy (current on ALL vac's) and clean.
My previous employer had a Rat Terrier. I use Beagles, mostly 'cuz I likes me a hound dog. Every breed has its own peculiarities.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: Dog to assist [Re: Coondog6] #3694758
03/10/13 11:42 PM
03/10/13 11:42 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
I think a Newfoundland would be great. He could carry your traps and other gear and I could put a saddle on him for the kids.

Re: Dog to assist [Re: Coondog6] #3694933
03/11/13 06:58 AM
03/11/13 06:58 AM
Mass.
T
Trapper Don Offline
trapper
Trapper Don  Offline
trapper
T

Mass.
Another upside would be your vet bills could be a tax write off. I know people who use dogs and proof of proper training is a plus. Goose work is another option for dogs. We have two with us all the time. Labs. They chase the sticks we through from beaver dams and bring them back..since we get paid by the hour... they do make us money lol. Somewhat??? Another point about this is we needed to get an extended cab truck and lost bed space....Not so sure this is a great idea after all??
Don LaFountain
PS They also help eat our lunches and that helps with my weight loss program...
I need to re-think this plan!!!

Last edited by Trapper Don; 03/11/13 06:59 AM.
Re: Dog to assist [Re: Coondog6] #3697941
03/12/13 03:40 PM
03/12/13 03:40 PM
MN--Far from the crowds
DTOM Offline
trapper
DTOM  Offline
trapper

MN--Far from the crowds
I always have at least two decoy dogs and a couple terriers around when I'm working. Of course all my work is coyote control and denning with a helping of problem coon removal thrown in. Mostly in hay barns, working barns or other out buildings.

The farmers and ranchers all love to see me pull up with the dogs as they know that the coyotes time is now very limited. I think they are more happy to see the dogs each spring then me but I guess they know who does the "real" work.

I don't work any other types of ADC unless I get asked while I'm there dealing with coyotes.

I do hunt my terriers in old houses for fur and sometimes it works out like it should and the terrier draws the coon and allows me to easily remove them without much damage but other times I've had to do considerable "renovations" to the house to get to the dog or the dog does considerable "renovations" to get to the animal. I can't imagine using mine in a house someone was living in and it turning out good.

I did have a lady in MT ask me once to help her get the animals out of her attic. I explained what the terriers did and she just wanted the animals gone. I peeked up into her attic and saw a BIG coon so I put one terrier up there. In the end it all went well for the first 5 coon but then on the sixth one the coon and the terrier both fell through the ceiling and landed on the main floor. Terrier had a good hold on the coon but the damage to the ceiling was pretty bad. The lady never batted an eye and thanked me for removing her problem. My guess would be that people a little farther removed from the rural life might not react so well.

Tim

DONT TREAD ON ME
Re: Dog to assist [Re: DTOM] #3699064
03/12/13 10:39 PM
03/12/13 10:39 PM
Frankfort, Ky. USA
T
trapperpaw Offline
trapper
trapperpaw  Offline
trapper
T

Frankfort, Ky. USA
They are and can be a useful tool. I have had a couple of patterdale terriers through the years and they have made me look pretty good. When a person has had an animal in the living quarters and they are not sure he left the dog always gave me the confidence to tell them the animal was not in the living quarters. I could set up a positive set from a crawl space and clear it with either the animal getting in the trap or pay the consequences. You need to make sure your client is ready for that. On leash he would indicate on den holes that had animals making less sets. Afew times I used him in attics mostly on leash so I could retrieve him. It always made the family of coons move. I quit doing it because the insulation and dust had the same effect on him as me and he refused to wear a mask. Having a good dog is expensive and if you enjoy working dogs it is a good tool but he's not priceless so you need to enjoy him or he's not worth it.
I have a couple mountain curs that I have just started working and I am hoping to do some coyote,pigs,bears,squirrels,coons,ground hogs,feral and bobcats and whatever else we come across. To have a good dog I am going to work hard and spend a lot of money walking and running in the woods,getting wet and cold,hanging out with friends, shooting, looking thru binoculars. I'll probably have to buy some equipment that I didn't realize. A garmin Alpha for starters. I hope the IRS doesn't think I would have done all of this if not for this business

Sleep'n with an animal..I can help.
Do not use both feet when testing the depth or temperature of the water
Your Friend,
Paul Brooker
Re: Dog to assist [Re: Coondog6] #3701580
03/14/13 12:36 AM
03/14/13 12:36 AM
Indianapolis, IN
P
ProLine Offline
trapper
ProLine  Offline
trapper
P

Indianapolis, IN
I will swear to what ever you tell me if the IRS ask. Those are good working dogs and I never heard him say he liked them, SIR! He said he needed to spend a hundred grand to train them , so the 250.000 expense is very much in line SIR, I think the IRS is getting cheated, Yes they are a tax deductible expense if they are truly a business expense.

Paul is correct if you read between the lines, dogs are great for many things and they also are a great commitment. Better than any other device I have ever purchased, and also more investment than I have ever made. Personally I have used Labs for the last ten years.

Re: Dog to assist [Re: Coondog6] #3703015
03/14/13 09:31 PM
03/14/13 09:31 PM
Florida
WTWC Offline
trapper
WTWC  Offline
trapper

Florida

Here's my GSP in action in a crawl space.

Re: Dog to assist [Re: Coondog6] #3703042
03/14/13 09:37 PM
03/14/13 09:37 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Looks a lot like our Bluetick Coonhound, 'cept our Tonto has a full tail.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: Dog to assist [Re: Coondog6] #3703945
03/15/13 11:35 AM
03/15/13 11:35 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Dave's has a southern drawl when it barks; Jerry's has a German accent.

Re: Dog to assist [Re: Coondog6] #3705038
03/15/13 10:05 PM
03/15/13 10:05 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Ja, y'all!