ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
coyote trapping for farmer #3749861
04/08/13 04:24 PM
04/08/13 04:24 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
O
Over Mtn Tiger Offline OP
trapper
Over Mtn Tiger  Offline OP
trapper
O

Birmingham, Alabama
My uncle has a cattle farmer that asked If I could trap his coyotes.
My uncle said he has no barn cats and lost two dogs, one a lab and 7 calves this past year. Lost one calve two years ago. He is willing to pay. If any of you do that kind of work what is the rate? I have not talked to the farmer yet but want to have something to tell him when I call him. The farmer owns around 600 acres and leases another 1500 from my uncle. Next question, how many traps will I need.

Deer do not run when you hit them in the neck.
Re: coyote trapping for farmer [Re: Over Mtn Tiger] #3750151
04/08/13 07:09 PM
04/08/13 07:09 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Quote:
Next question, how many traps will I need.

You might not want to charge him by the coyote.

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: coyote trapping for farmer [Re: Over Mtn Tiger] #3750411
04/08/13 09:12 PM
04/08/13 09:12 PM
Georgia
F
firedawg Offline
trapper
firedawg  Offline
trapper
F

Georgia
well, i did a similar job for a trophy managed hunting club that is on a beef cattle farm. I can tell you that I did not have near enough traps to even start to think about trapping 1500 acres -- when you are on a limited time frame and charging, the more steel you got in the ground the better your chances. There is no way to eradicate them around here and they know that, they are just trying to keep the population managed.

I did not have enough traps when I started the job -- but will have more when I return. I gave them a fixed rate per week for 4 weeks of trapping. Things to factor in -- trap check time -- every 24 hrs, 48 hrs, etc., bait, lure, gas to and from, insurance costs, trap wear and tear/replacement, etc. Like Kirk said, charging by the yote will proballly not be a good idea.

If folks are paying, they expect results -- YOTES -- quickly. If this is something new to you, maybe talk to the landowner and get your bait, and gas back and forth covered and use it as a learning experience -- some will disagree with this approach, but it has served me well. I get repeat business from some clients and referrals from others even though my price goes up.

Re: coyote trapping for farmer [Re: Over Mtn Tiger] #3750526
04/08/13 10:07 PM
04/08/13 10:07 PM
North Carolina
N
NCbatman Offline
trapper
NCbatman  Offline
trapper
N

North Carolina
Use the property to learn on and get the hunting rights as payment.
Just an idea. Some of my prime spots came from jobs like this.

Re: coyote trapping for farmer [Re: Over Mtn Tiger] #3750771
04/09/13 01:07 AM
04/09/13 01:07 AM
Birmingham, Alabama
O
trapper
trapper
O

Birmingham, Alabama
My plans were to trap some property for hunting rights. Mentioned this to my uncle when turkey hunting last weekend and now this fell into my lap. Talked to the Farmer's son this evening. They had a trapper this winter shoot/trap 11 coyotes and the problem is worse. My initial thought was I might could make enough to pay for some traps. They have not had a calf killed since February and want something done prior to new calves dropping in November. From videos and what I have read, I want to catch as many as possible as quickly as possible which requires a lot of traps. Can I divide the property up and trap it in sections or should I trap the whole place at once? Is one trap per every 15 acres about right? How many sets can be made in a day?
If any of you guys in the southeast are trapping coyotes now, I would love to ride the trap line with you. I know there is a lot more to learn than what can be seen on videos and read in books.

Re: coyote trapping for farmer [Re: Over Mtn Tiger] #3750907
04/09/13 08:13 AM
04/09/13 08:13 AM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Never trapped a coyote in my life,but wouldn't you be making set where you see sign? I would start by putting out some trail cam's. Spend some time in the evening to listen. Had fun with a fox a few years ago. There was a cut corn field in the shape of a L abut 120 acers. Woods on the inside of the L and open on the other side. On the inside corner of the L I built a mound and put light colored sand on mound. Put a mole in the center, no traps. Put a game cam on the mound and a fox visited the mound the next evening. Did that for about a week. The fox came back three times. We fun and close to home. I think it was the difference in the sand color that got them there and it was something new in there area. Have fun.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: coyote trapping for farmer [Re: Over Mtn Tiger] #3751041
04/09/13 10:06 AM
04/09/13 10:06 AM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

If the cost of traps is a concern...why not lease some from a trapper that has a pile collecting dust?

Re: coyote trapping for farmer [Re: Over Mtn Tiger] #3752187
04/09/13 09:15 PM
04/09/13 09:15 PM
North Georgia
T
thomasb25 Offline
trapper
thomasb25  Offline
trapper
T

North Georgia
I wouldn't use junk traps though nothing worst than catching one and it getting out

http://www.speedywildliferemoval.com

Speedy Wildlife Removal serving Gainesville and all north Ga
Re: coyote trapping for farmer [Re: Over Mtn Tiger] #3752611
04/10/13 07:53 AM
04/10/13 07:53 AM
Birmingham, Alabama
O
trapper
trapper
O

Birmingham, Alabama
Going with KB. No mods needed and made in USA.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread