ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Sweet flag grass #3846251
06/15/13 06:11 PM
06/15/13 06:11 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline OP
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline OP
trapper
P

south east michigan
Anybuddy ever use this herb for live trapping . Found a good fresh supply . It's used as a oil for trapping and people chew the roots for all kinds of reasons . Sure smells good to .

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: Sweet flag grass [Re: Peskycritter] #3846427
06/15/13 09:00 PM
06/15/13 09:00 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Reminds me of a singing duo in the sixties that would make a great name for a lure; "Peaches and Herb"

Re: Sweet flag grass [Re: Peskycritter] #3847089
06/16/13 10:13 AM
06/16/13 10:13 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Our sweet flag/calamus looks much like our native cattail. Is this what you are referring too?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_Flag

Re: Sweet flag grass [Re: Peskycritter] #3847287
06/16/13 01:35 PM
06/16/13 01:35 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline OP
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline OP
trapper
P

south east michigan
Yes that's it MR Jameson

Free Trapper
Re: Sweet flag grass [Re: Peskycritter] #3847304
06/16/13 01:49 PM
06/16/13 01:49 PM
Moses Lake, Wash.
pnwmtnmn Offline
trapper
pnwmtnmn  Offline
trapper

Moses Lake, Wash.
"Peaches and Herb" were from the 70's.....lol

formerly KIP now back to pnwmtnmn

Remember ... Four boxes keep us free: The Soap Box, The Ballot Box, The Jury Box, and The Cartridge Box.
Re: Sweet flag grass [Re: Peskycritter] #3847496
06/16/13 04:32 PM
06/16/13 04:32 PM
catskill mnts, New York
W
watermann2 Offline
trapper
watermann2  Offline
trapper
W

catskill mnts, New York
Anyone have a photo of this plant ?

Aka Watermann...
Re: Sweet flag grass [Re: Peskycritter] #3847530
06/16/13 05:02 PM
06/16/13 05:02 PM
Lower Alabama (Daleville)
L
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Offline
"Professor"
L

Lower Alabama (Daleville)

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Re: Sweet flag grass [Re: Peskycritter] #3847613
06/16/13 06:23 PM
06/16/13 06:23 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Peaches and Cream is from the 90's. smile

Re: Sweet flag grass [Re: Peskycritter] #3848085
06/16/13 11:43 PM
06/16/13 11:43 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline OP
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline OP
trapper
P

south east michigan
Other than muskrat , beaver and coon trapping people use this herb for other things .

Usage and effects: The roots are collected in late f-all or spring and washed, the small hairs are removed and the root is dried at low temperature. The root could be chewed or chopped and prepared as tea. Must be stored cool and dry. A piece of 5cm (thick as a pen) is stimulating and evokes cheerful mood. A 25cm piece may lead to altered perception and hallucinations. Calamus is also said to be an aphrodisiac, especially when used as an additive in your bathing-water. Some aboriginal tribes chew the roots as stimulant and for mouth-hygiene. No secondary effects were reported. Some experiments seem to indicate that extreme amounts of calamus oil lead to a higher risk of cancer in rats. No similar effects are reported for humans. Calamus Root is considered to have anti-arrhythmic, hypotensive, vasodilatory, anti-tussive, anti-bacterial and expectorant properties. Calamus has been used for lack of mental focus, stomach problems, acidity, and as an aid to quit tobacco smoking. Calamus has been shown to be of low toxicity in animals, and adverse reactions are rare. Though recent studies have revealed thepresence of B-asarone, a carcinogen, the American variety is considered superior to the European because it seems to lack this ingredient. The Native Americans would chew the root while running long distances to increase endurance and stamina. Externally it is added to the bath to quiet thenerves and induce a state of tranquillity. Tincture of Calamus is useful as a parasiticide whendirectly, and frequently, applied to lice and scabies infestations. Calamus does have emmanagogicproperties and should be avoided during pregnancy. It has a delicious smell, but a somewhat bitter taste. It has been used medicinally since ancient Greek and Arabian times and is mentioned in the Old Testament, though in fact it was confused with citronella grass. Caution: Calamus should not be used with MAO-inhibitors!

Free Trapper
Re: Sweet flag grass [Re: Peskycritter] #3848113
06/17/13 12:10 AM
06/17/13 12:10 AM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline OP
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline OP
trapper
P

south east michigan
The seeds are collected and smashed to make sweet flag oil and used in lures . Might try a whole plant or line a cage with it . Smells really good . Muskrats have trails running to it from my creek . Muskrats love this stuff wonder if ground hogs do as well given a chance to . It's also used as pond plants in water gardens kio ponds ect . What started my intreast in this plant was talking to a guy who restores wet lands to make them productive again for wildlife . I asked him what I could plant to farm muskrats on my land . He told me sugar beets and sweet flag . I know what sugar beets are but didn't know about sweet flag so I started looking into this and we're I could buy some to get it started . Then I noticed it growing in the front part of my marsh . I have the one side of the creek all planted with sugar beets and carrots . So I'll help the sweet flag grass spread down the other side . There's two ways to farm muskrats one is to fence them in other way is to feed them so good they don't wish to leave and more come . I'm just going to feed them good is the plan . My boys have known there was something up with that grass because there deer cams took the most pictures when placed over viewing the sweet flag grass so deer like it to over all the other grass growing around are house . This sweet flag seems to be liked by about everything that walks . Wonder if ducks like the seeds . I'll have to try some for ground hogs this week or maybe coons . They say beaver like it to . It's good for bad breath even . It' has a very strong pleasant smell

Free Trapper
Re: Sweet flag grass [Re: Peskycritter] #3848341
06/17/13 09:22 AM
06/17/13 09:22 AM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

If you want a Michigan genotype, you can purchase seeds at Michigan Wildflower farm. Ester is a great lady...and the seed is really clean.

http://www.michiganwildflowerfarm.com/seedpricing.html

Re: Sweet flag grass [Re: Peskycritter] #3848348
06/17/13 09:35 AM
06/17/13 09:35 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Sounds like you have found a new snake oil product to huckster around.:) Calamus has been around for eons and is a fundamental botanical plant for marsh and low lying areas that hold moisture. Most aquatic animals find it to be a good food source when available.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread