General Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Carcass care. Food for thought. [Re: M. Howard] #389707
10/29/07 09:17 PM
10/29/07 09:17 PM
Northen Calif . , Shasta Co.
S
Smok Offline
trapper
Smok  Offline
trapper
S

Northen Calif . , Shasta Co.
M. Howard I am with you and kickin buck have you ever been to feed lot or a solider house ???

Do it with what you got and you wont need what you do not have
Re: Carcass care. Food for thought. [Re: Smok] #389782
10/29/07 09:43 PM
10/29/07 09:43 PM
sw Wisconsin
K
kickin buck Offline
trapper
kickin buck  Offline
trapper
K

sw Wisconsin
Skinned a coon today that had worms comming from his bunghole I think Ill just stick with venison eat all them nasty coon you care to.

Re: Carcass care. Food for thought. [Re: ] #389894
10/29/07 10:15 PM
10/29/07 10:15 PM
sw Wisconsin
K
kickin buck Offline
trapper
kickin buck  Offline
trapper
K

sw Wisconsin
Im sure they taste fine Its just some of the things I see when I skin them. Muskrat legs is about the bravest I get. Oh yeah I have had coon at a game feed one time It tasted fine but that was before I skinned any.

Re: Carcass care. Food for thought. [Re: kickin buck] #389930
10/29/07 10:43 PM
10/29/07 10:43 PM
Lufkin, Tx.
L
Lufkin Trapper Offline
trapper
Lufkin Trapper  Offline
trapper
L

Lufkin, Tx.
M. Howard, I do just like you do except that I cut off one of the back feet and break the bone in the other with the loppers, so that the buyer won't have any problem taking the foot off. I also cut the tail off about 2 inches from the hams.They have told me that they like that little bit of meat.
I also let the carcasses hang and dry if the weather is cool enough to allow me to do so. It sounds like my people would trust you to sell them coons.
I also will not sell a carcass if it is dead when I get to the trap. If I wouldn't eat it myself, I won't sell it!

Billy
Member # 16.
Re: Carcass care. Food for thought. [Re: Vinke] #390026
10/29/07 11:57 PM
10/29/07 11:57 PM
OH - IO
D
Dtwarrow Offline
trapper
Dtwarrow  Offline
trapper
D

OH - IO
 Originally Posted By: Vinke
Good post there Mike.....But in a Slater House don't they remove the Guts within minutes/ seconds after the kill???? I do with my Big/ small game and Waterfowl/ upland birds.....

Not I... I throw my ducks whole in the fridge for 7 to 14 days. That's right! I said it! Someone told me about this, I thought they were nuts, then read in DU magazine. Ageing the meat in cold temps is a common practice. And I have to say it makes them taste so much better than cleaning them and putting the meat in milk or salt water for a few days...
Also, It can take a while to locate a deer. Hours... So nothing I have ever killed is cleaned right away and never has been. In fact, unless cooking whole, I rarely gut a bird ever. Why upen up that nasty spot when I can breast it out and take the legs and wings (if worth doing so) off and toss the rest without ever messing with the guts.
Meat does not go bad fast guys. Keep it cold and your fine.

Last edited by Dtwarrow; 10/29/07 11:58 PM.

Life is not how many breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91