ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
No more free inspections!! #3901141
07/20/13 10:50 PM
07/20/13 10:50 PM
Poinciana FL
A
Allen Clausen Offline OP
trapper
Allen Clausen  Offline OP
trapper
A

Poinciana FL
I had a dead animal removal call today. Something was in the wall or attic and stinking up the back bedroom. I was so eager to get the job I quoted no inspection fee and a $150 minimum removal charge. I explained that depending on what I found it could be much more than the $150. Well, long story short, I never made it into the attic. The cat urine and feces I found in the back closet explained the mystery smells. Good thing it was close to home and only wasted 20 minutes and a few miles on the truck. No more freebies!!! Lesson learned. On a positive note, I made decent money on my bee removal this morning. I guess batting .500 isnt too bad.

Re: No more free inspections!! [Re: Allen Clausen] #3901236
07/20/13 11:58 PM
07/20/13 11:58 PM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

Good move!

Re: No more free inspections!! [Re: Allen Clausen] #3901331
07/21/13 03:57 AM
07/21/13 03:57 AM
Colorado
P
ProFox Offline
trapper
ProFox  Offline
trapper
P

Colorado
Some services shouldn't include a free inspection. Dead animal removal is one of them. I would add live animal removal and snake jobs to the list. On DAR's I always explain the possible outcomes and get paid no matter what. A squirrel/raccoon/bat/skunk....ect job is different because there is a chance to make $500+ a DAR is rarely in that price range. The reason I charge for snakes is because I sometimes catch them during the inspection. I couldn't just walk past one. The free inspection topic has come up and it is interesting to hear the different opinions. I'll tell you this, if a customer calls me before the guy charging an inspection fee? I can pretty much guarantee I'll win the bid.

Jake Trujillo
Golden, CO

Re: No more free inspections!! [Re: Allen Clausen] #3902965
07/22/13 09:23 AM
07/22/13 09:23 AM
Poinciana FL
A
Allen Clausen Offline OP
trapper
trapper
A

Poinciana FL
Great points Jake, I am new to this and learning some things the hard way. I am working on a minimal inspection fee to assure that I am not driving all over town or paying my Tech to drive all over town for free. The inspection fee will be applied to the service requested if they decide to use my company. I guess the customer will dictate if this idea works or not.

Re: No more free inspections!! [Re: Allen Clausen] #3902995
07/22/13 10:08 AM
07/22/13 10:08 AM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

Why give it away? Why apply to service? I see the point....but call the bluff....people pay it if you are a good operator. They will want you more...

Re: No more free inspections!! [Re: Allen Clausen] #3903385
07/22/13 02:30 PM
07/22/13 02:30 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Inspection fee to be applied to service charges if job accepted.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: No more free inspections!! [Re: Allen Clausen] #3904381
07/23/13 12:47 AM
07/23/13 12:47 AM
southern Minnesota
BUD25 Offline
trapper
BUD25  Offline
trapper

southern Minnesota
Inspection fee is a service in its self. Any other service is additional. This is business, not a hobby.

Bud's Nuisance Wildlife Removal LLC
www.budstrapco.com
www.trappinmoles.com
Re: No more free inspections!! [Re: Allen Clausen] #3904474
07/23/13 04:44 AM
07/23/13 04:44 AM
South East Texas
Muddy Boots Offline
trapper
Muddy Boots  Offline
trapper

South East Texas
so is a inspection fee and service charge different? please give an example

Re: No more free inspections!! [Re: Allen Clausen] #3905198
07/23/13 04:03 PM
07/23/13 04:03 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Exactly the same for us. If someone is going to come to my house, free of charge, at today's gas prices, the first thought in my mind is that this guy or gal has to make up a lot of expenses already.

Re: No more free inspections!! [Re: Allen Clausen] #3905430
07/23/13 06:24 PM
07/23/13 06:24 PM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

Muddy those words are similies in this biz.

Re: No more free inspections!! [Re: ] #3905536
07/23/13 07:16 PM
07/23/13 07:16 PM
Ashe co. mountains n.c
trapmando Offline
trapper
trapmando  Offline
trapper

Ashe co. mountains n.c
Well said Bud25

A trap is only a trap if you dont know about it. If you know about it, its a challenge
Re: No more free inspections!! [Re: ] #3906158
07/24/13 04:33 AM
07/24/13 04:33 AM
South East Texas
Muddy Boots Offline
trapper
Muddy Boots  Offline
trapper

South East Texas
Originally Posted By: DaveK
Muddy those words are similies in this biz.

It's not a service call "and" a separate inspection fee, its one in the same

Re: No more free inspections!! [Re: Allen Clausen] #3906225
07/24/13 08:04 AM
07/24/13 08:04 AM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

right on

Re: No more free inspections!! [Re: Allen Clausen] #3906795
07/24/13 02:52 PM
07/24/13 02:52 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
What Wink said; I've never seen that fact explained so clearly before. I've always said that if you get a free inspection, it's really a hard sell - quite often by a salesman, NOT a technician - because the guy has to sell something at that point in order to make $$ or justify his existence.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: No more free inspections!! [Re: Allen Clausen] #3907275
07/24/13 07:42 PM
07/24/13 07:42 PM
Colorado
P
ProFox Offline
trapper
ProFox  Offline
trapper
P

Colorado
In my experience customers LOVE the free no obligation inspection. I tell them to get multiple estimates and choose the best company for them. I'm not the cheapest or the most expensive yet I sell over 90% of the jobs I go to (when you close on that many jobs you can afford to offer free inspections without over charging). I do this by being honest and up front about what needs to be done and charging an industry standard amount. The guy who chooses to stick to his guns about a measly inspection fee might loose out on a very lucrative job. Dave a technician is also a salesman because you can't survive on inspections alone you have to SELL your service eventually. How can a customer find the best company if all of them want to charge them to come and give them a price?

Jake Trujillo
Golden, CO

Re: No more free inspections!! [Re: Allen Clausen] #3907380
07/24/13 08:31 PM
07/24/13 08:31 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Jake, I really did like your post. ( And knowing Jake personally, I don't have any doubt that he gets a 90% closure ) His post really did point out the difference between a service call and a free inspection.

Let's put it this way; I'm glad that Jake's in Colorado and we're in Wisconsin. I have enough great competitors without adding the Trujillo family to the list.

Re: No more free inspections!! [Re: Allen Clausen] #3907412
07/24/13 08:49 PM
07/24/13 08:49 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Personally I don't want the free inspection customer. Those are the tire kickers, broke or stupid customers that don't communicate or waste my time. I want the educated customer who understands that what I do is a specialty and I'm running a business not a hobby.

[Linked Image]
Re: No more free inspections!! [Re: Allen Clausen] #3907448
07/24/13 09:08 PM
07/24/13 09:08 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
The only way we can afford to offer a free inspection is if it is very close to where we are working already. If we have to travel 30 miles or more it just doesnt pay.

We sell a high 90% of our bids as well after getting our inspection fee. As was stated there are many waste your time tire kickers out there anymore. Particularly the younger generation. If they cant understand the value of a professionals time to evaluate your problem then they many times cant afford the cost of a good job well done.

We have too many welfare and think it is free folks in many of our service areas or the I cant afford it folks but they will make you come out to waste your time anyways.No more of that for us.

If we run out of work then we may need to re evaluate our procedure however it hasnt happened for many years.

2:00 am calls in the morning from the state police to go remove a black rat snake from a ghetto house. You have to wake up and talk to them thru the 911 dispatcher and find out they dont have any $$$ but just come and get it for free anyways. Really, I dont think so. Click!!!

We all do some charity work at times but I have done my share. I need to make some retirement money now.:)

Re: No more free inspections!! [Re: Allen Clausen] #3907803
07/24/13 11:49 PM
07/24/13 11:49 PM
Poinciana FL
A
Allen Clausen Offline OP
trapper
trapper
A

Poinciana FL
Free estimates over the phone are always quoted. I am not afraid of competition checking my prices. I am not cheap, but I am not overly expensive. For example,if I get a bee (or replace bee with your favorite animal) removal call, I tell them upfront the basic cost to start and ask a few questions to give a ball park estimate. I then explain if I come out to give a hard quote, there is a fee for this service. It will be applied towards the estimate if they chose my company. Maybe when I am a bigger company with a bigger operating budget I can offer free inspections, but I sure can not now.

Re: No more free inspections!! [Re: Allen Clausen] #3907951
07/25/13 01:50 AM
07/25/13 01:50 AM
South East Texas
Muddy Boots Offline
trapper
Muddy Boots  Offline
trapper

South East Texas
I think I'm starting to understand this better now, Threads like this seem to help more than the ones titled "how much do I charge", even though there is no specific dollar amount mentioned,

Now to see if I learned anything: please critique me

Woman/man calls stating they heard something coming from the ceiling, and investigated it themselves and spotted a large raccoon in the attic, immediately called (sounding very excited and somewhat frantic) and requested your services for dealing with this animal. Despite the customers emotional state you talk and calm the homeowner and explain how you can help and fees associated with your service

Quote: $75 service call/inspection fee and between $100-$300 depending on how many coons are actually in the attic because you really don't know

Ok... Homeowner excepts and you head out

When you show up to the property you're immediately met by the couple that owns the house and they explain and show the the ladder to the attic, your inspection reveals not only one coon but a second and inform the homeowners that the cost of the removal will be $200 not including the service fee, homeowner excepts and you remove the offending animals

customer pays you $275 for services rendered THE END

AFTER THOUGHT: I am trying to take out most of the variables due to simplicity and asking if at least my mind is working in the right direction, please do not imply whether I have done this or not done that, the scenario is as is.

Some things that I may need to point out.

1. I did not collect the service fee after the inspection, I went straight to removal after getting permission, was it right or wrong for me to do that, I didn't want the owners thinking that I was just wanting money and not interested in helping them feel safe and comfortable in their house.

2. About the quote from $100-$300 was that what I should have done, Something tells me that I shouldn't take the word of the homeowner, Something I could have done different is Explained my service fee and then after the inspection quoted the Job?

3. Should I even charge a service call? because the owner seen the coon in the attic, then again that goes back to taking their word for it, because it could have been a squirrel or house cat or whatever. I imagine in this line of work there is no telling what you may find in some attics, and I'm sure some of you have been told one thing and it turn out to be another even being told by the customer that they seen it with their own eyes LMAO

I hope I'm not trying to be too complicated, I really tried to make this generic for learning purposes only, I do understand that no situation is generic, I just want ya'll to know that I'm serious about this business and not as you say "kicking the tires" as some of your customers do, now please give me your thoughts on the rights and wrongs or tell me what you may have done different, if you have a question and want me to clarify I will monitor and post a reply, please and thank you

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread