Cooking on the Wild Side

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives~Lure Formulator Forum
~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Venison.........Hearty recipe for Deer, Elk stew #2142
12/24/06 12:23 PM
12/24/06 12:23 PM
Wisconsin
R
RdFx Offline OP
trapper
RdFx  Offline OP
trapper
R

Wisconsin
Start out with:
3 -4 #s of elk-deer, ect.
Can be whatever cuts you want but alot of people use front shoulder and neck cuts.
1 1/2 to 2 cups hot water
1 1/2 cup red wine
1/4 cup flour (whole wheat works good)
3-4 tablespoons Olive or Canola oil
1 teaspoon mixed dried herbs ( if you use fresh cut to 1/2 of amounts) to taste:
Basil, Thyme, Marjoram
3-4 ripe tomtoes sliced or diced or canned ( hopefully not hydroponic)
1 teaspoon dried parsely
1 large onion ( baseball size) sliced
4 big carrots, cut into small pieces
1 tablespoon fine salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4-5 tators, cut into small quarter size chunks
Slice bones and tendons from meat. Cut meat into bite sized pieces, cover with flour. Brown the meat in hot olive or canola oil. Add hot water while stirring. Add the wine, onion, salt, parsley, and herbs while stirring slowly. Sprinkle pepper according to taste. Cover stew kettle and bring mixture to a boil. then Reduce the heat and simmer about 2 hours. stir in your diced potatoes and carrots and tomatoes. Add a little water stirring to a get a thin gravey consistency. Cover and simmer for one or two hours ( according to how tough your meat is) Serve with homemade bread. Enjoy especially after coming in from winter beaver trapping up in here in Northern Wisconsin. This can be made ahead of time and put in slow cooker so when you come in tired and cold you can dig in right away and then get to skinning IF you rolled your bvr in dry snow to dry them out when you pulled them thru the ice... wink

RdFx
Re: Venison.........Hearty recipe for Deer, Elk stew [Re: RdFx] #40056
01/15/07 06:13 PM
01/15/07 06:13 PM
Northern Maine
Baskahegantraper Offline
trapper
Baskahegantraper  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Back here on the east coast alot of people use Turnip cut up in small pieces in a venision stew. It really adds a unique flavor to any wild game stew!

Re: Venison.........Hearty recipe for Deer, Elk stew [Re: Baskahegantraper] #96828
02/18/07 11:06 AM
02/18/07 11:06 AM
Wisconsin
R
RdFx Offline OP
trapper
RdFx  Offline OP
trapper
R

Wisconsin
I will agree with you on the turnips and i do add them when i have them. My mother always added some turnips to her stews and it gives stew a great flavor but doesnt overpower other ingrediants

RdFx
Re: Venison.........Hearty recipe for Deer, Elk stew [Re: RdFx] #257621
07/12/07 12:35 AM
07/12/07 12:35 AM
New Hampshire
anton Offline
trapper
anton  Offline
trapper

New Hampshire
We always add Juniper berries... goes real good with the red wine. I like your recipe-has some stuff we hadn't though of. Going to have to try it come fall. Down to 1 pack left and it goes on the grill tomorrow evening!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread