ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Out of business? Cheaper isn't better... #4030745
10/02/13 11:37 AM
10/02/13 11:37 AM
SW Missouri
M
Mike K. Offline OP
trapper
Mike K.  Offline OP
trapper
M

SW Missouri
About a month ago I received a call for mole service in Springfield, MO. After a long, time consuming sell service was scheduled. On the day of the appointment she called and said she had thought it over and felt that I was too expensive and found someone "cheaper" on craigslist that would do it for a higher set up fee but only $20 a mole and she "just knew" she had more than one or two moles and she wanted to save money if possible. Fast forward to now. Same customer calls and says that this guy put in some "shiny silver trap things", has never been back and his number is now disconnected. She asked if I would come out to remove the traps and take care of the moles and I politely declined (with a big smile) and referred her to craigslist where she found the first guy. She got mad, said a few choice words and hung up. That makes #7 of new "mole control businesses" that I know of since last summer that came and went. What a joyful moment!

Re: Out of business? Cheaper isn't better... [Re: Mike K.] #4030867
10/02/13 12:42 PM
10/02/13 12:42 PM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

But...you lost a customer twice. She may have really tooted your horn in a good way.

Re: Out of business? Cheaper isn't better... [Re: ] #4030898
10/02/13 01:11 PM
10/02/13 01:11 PM
Waterford, WI
N
Nathan Krause Offline
trapper
Nathan Krause  Offline
trapper
N

Waterford, WI
Originally Posted By: DaveK
But...you lost a customer twice. She may have really tooted your horn in a good way.

I agree. Some of my best "word of mouth" comes from jobs I fix after another company let them down.

Re: Out of business? Cheaper isn't better... [Re: Mike K.] #4031011
10/02/13 02:29 PM
10/02/13 02:29 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Now she'll bad mouth you to anyone that will listen. On the other hand, you likely had a BIG s.e.g on your face. grin

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Out of business? Cheaper isn't better... [Re: Mike K.] #4031047
10/02/13 02:52 PM
10/02/13 02:52 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Mike K. I respond just as you did on many occasions over the years and lately. Let the price shoppers and cheap deal looking folks find someone else.

They deserve what they get. Doesn't sound like it was a quality person to begin with so no great loss. You will get a feel for those that truly want good service and those that just want the cheapest deal they can find. We are getting more of those deal seeking calls the last few years.

Most all are the younger generation at least on our frequent calls it sounds like from their language and voice commands.

Re: Out of business? Cheaper isn't better... [Re: Mike K.] #4031136
10/02/13 04:01 PM
10/02/13 04:01 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Mike, if you can afford to let them walk, good for you. In our infant years, we took every stinking customer that called and you can ask my wife ( The Boss ) there is no difference. People will constantly fool you. Some of those calls certainly should have been let go. ( Like you did ) On others, we have established a relationship for the life of our company.

The hardest thing on a post like this, is to make the right call. We live in one of the most difficult states in the entire union to run a wildlife business. I guess even after 26 years, we still treat every call as though it was the last one we will ever get. Lately we have been getting the orneriest bunch of customers that we have ever seen, so I understand completely.

Last edited by Paul Winkelmann; 10/02/13 04:54 PM.
Re: Out of business? Cheaper isn't better... [Re: Mike K.] #4031772
10/02/13 09:05 PM
10/02/13 09:05 PM
Smoky Mtns TN
P
Paul Antczak Offline
trapper
Paul Antczak  Offline
trapper
P

Smoky Mtns TN
I had a flyer call monday. He said he already called another company but wants my opinion. Metal roof cabin hanging over the mountain. I told him Doing a flyer job is like fixing a flat tire that has 5 holes. If you fix only 4 holes the air will still leak out. He agreed to see me today. In the mean time the other company came out caulked the ridge beam on the inside of the cabin charge $200 and said problem solved. lol. He told me this while I was on the phone pulling in his drive way. My tech climed the log ends and beat the soffit. You could hear the racket from the ground lol. I don't know how these companies stay busy.

Re: Out of business? Cheaper isn't better... [Re: Mike K.] #4031880
10/02/13 09:51 PM
10/02/13 09:51 PM
Western Montana
A
ADCofWMt Offline
trapper
ADCofWMt  Offline
trapper
A

Western Montana
Guess I am too honest for my own good. I cannot leave a job unless I feel I have done everything in my power to do the job properly.

Just because something is legal doesn't make it smart.
Re: Out of business? Cheaper isn't better... [Re: Paul Antczak] #4031883
10/02/13 09:54 PM
10/02/13 09:54 PM
SW Missouri
M
Mike K. Offline OP
trapper
Mike K.  Offline OP
trapper
M

SW Missouri
I haven't turned down many but this one deserved it. I spent a 1/2 hour or so on the side of the highway during her initial call, answered lots of questions and pretty much had to justify my fees before she committed. Then the cancellation to use someone cheaper and then asking me to fix her problem for the second time. After she cussed at me I knew I had made the right decision. she probably would have been a slow pay if she paid me at all. On the flip side, I had a prospect call me recently and said that he had been referred to me. He asked if I would take a look at his lawn, call with an estimate and get things started. I inspected the lawn, called, reached voicemail and left him a message. Cricket...cricket. I called the next day and left another message. Cricket...cricket. Okay, adios amigo. One week later he returns my call asking if I could meet him at exactly 4:30 pm the next day to start service as he has an appointment at 5 pm. I arrived at 4:20, check the lawn again and see that the mole is now running along the neighbor's foundation about 15 feet from his house. So 4:30 comes and goes with no arrival or call. I called him at 4:40 and reached voicemail. No return call. I call again at 4:45 and he actually answered the phone. He said he was almost there and will be there in less than 5 minutes. Hmmm... at 5:05 he arrives. After explaining that the mole is also now working the neighbor's lawn he said "Oh, I guess it's their problem now. I'll call you if it comes back to my side". Now I'm HOT but remained calm as it was a GOOD customer that referred him. So, last week he calls back saying the mole is tearing his lawn up. I initially wanted to decline the job and refer him to someone else but instead I made him pay online, in advance, before I would go out. Planted traps on Friday, picked up mole on Monday and there has been no new activity and I have a very happy customer that has already generated another referral. In the end I do trust my discernment and will continue to decline work on occasion if it appears "destined for failure".

Last edited by Mike K.; 10/02/13 10:04 PM.
Re: Out of business? Cheaper isn't better... [Re: Mike K.] #4031960
10/02/13 10:29 PM
10/02/13 10:29 PM
SW Missouri
M
Mike K. Offline OP
trapper
Mike K.  Offline OP
trapper
M

SW Missouri

Re: Out of business? Cheaper isn't better... [Re: Mike K.] #4032633
10/03/13 10:43 AM
10/03/13 10:43 AM
Northeast Wisconsin
N
NE Wildlife Offline
trapper
NE Wildlife  Offline
trapper
N

Northeast Wisconsin
He must chew enough juicy fruit that all he
Has to do is show up and pee on the mole
Runs lol

Re: Out of business? Cheaper isn't better... [Re: Mike K.] #4032654
10/03/13 10:58 AM
10/03/13 10:58 AM
Haubstadt, In.
G
G Hanold Offline
trapper
G Hanold  Offline
trapper
G

Haubstadt, In.
There has probably been a run on gummy worms and Home Depot.

User formerly known as Hanible.

Trapping &
Removal of
Animal
Pests
Re: Out of business? Cheaper isn't better... [Re: Mike K.] #4033877
10/03/13 11:02 PM
10/03/13 11:02 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Billy the Idiot returns! This time as "Billy The Moleman"! With his "trappless" (sic) service! Too good to be true? Not for Billy; there's a sucker born every minute.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: Out of business? Cheaper isn't better... [Re: Mike K.] #4035786
10/05/13 05:53 AM
10/05/13 05:53 AM
Dudley NC
M
Muddawg Offline
trapper
Muddawg  Offline
trapper
M

Dudley NC
Hmmm, ...I think I would have taken the job BUT at an increased price from the orriginal estimate.

I get a lot of calls that agree to my price then call me back before I can get there and say, "Never mind. Joe Blows son-in-law is gonna do it for free."

That's when I inform them, very politely, "That's up to you. But if son-in-law has fails, my price will be double."

Worse case senario if you had taken the call back, you still would have gotten some free traps out of the deal.

Muddawg
Re: Out of business? Cheaper isn't better... [Re: Mike K.] #4037115
10/05/13 11:00 PM
10/05/13 11:00 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
I'm getting a lot of "something's come up, we gotta cancel". They don't reschedule.
I just wish people could be a little bit truthful when they back out of a deal; it's sad to see so many gutless human beings.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: Out of business? Cheaper isn't better... [Re: Mike K.] #4037217
10/06/13 12:49 AM
10/06/13 12:49 AM
Western Montana
A
ADCofWMt Offline
trapper
ADCofWMt  Offline
trapper
A

Western Montana
Same as the "let me talk to my wife/husband"

Just because something is legal doesn't make it smart.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread