ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Something Besides the Average Squirrel or Bat Call #4098223
11/06/13 09:19 AM
11/06/13 09:19 AM
Dudley NC
M
Muddawg Offline OP
trapper
Muddawg  Offline OP
trapper
M

Dudley NC
I got a call Monday night that was refreshingly different. The guy told me that he had some rental property and the cable guy had been out to hook them up. Well, cable guy goes under the house, works for a while and then comes scurrying out like the house was on fire. He then tells the lady who lives there that he refuses to come back until some one goes out there and removes the RATTLE snake!

Lady calls land lord, land lord calls me.

"Wahoo!" I got a call for something different for a change! Rattle snake? This could be fun! We don't have many of them around here.

What really impressed me was that when I informed him that I do charge for my services and I do that with EVERY call now, he replies, "Of course! I wouldn't expect that you'd do this for free." Great! Now we know where we stand.

I went out there yesterday around noon. The house was low to the ground making travel under there tough for us fat boys. It was a bit warmer than I would have liked and there was a LOT of debris, duct work and furnace machinery cluttering up the underside. Lots and lots of places where a snake could hide.

But, I made my way around under there as best I could looking for snake or at least sign of where one might have been. only one small track in the dusty dry sand that COULD have been a small snake. Or it could have just as likely been the imprint where a wire had been dragged across the sand.

I could not physically get around everywhere under there as the house was just too low to the ground and I simply could not fit. But I covered it the best I could. Finally I decided to leave a trap behind just to see if there was a chance I could catch one. So I left a glue trap with some 10 hour heat pads in it. Then I came out and opened all the outside vents in hopes of cooling the underside so as my trap would be more noticeable. Hopefully, with the heat pads in it, it will look like the warm spot to any snake that happens to slither by.

The question is, did the cable guy really see something? Or did he just want to go home early that day?

Muddawg
Re: Something Besides the Average Squirrel or Bat Call [Re: Muddawg] #4098302
11/06/13 10:07 AM
11/06/13 10:07 AM
Waterford, WI
N
Nathan Krause Offline
trapper
Nathan Krause  Offline
trapper
N

Waterford, WI
Maybe he heard something?

Re: Something Besides the Average Squirrel or Bat Call [Re: Muddawg] #4098664
11/06/13 01:38 PM
11/06/13 01:38 PM
Smoky Mtns TN
P
Paul Antczak Offline
trapper
Paul Antczak  Offline
trapper
P

Smoky Mtns TN
LOL Im going on the same call at 2:30 today! This was a termite inspector tho. I doubt its a rattler heck they are all rattlers to them

Re: Something Besides the Average Squirrel or Bat Call [Re: Muddawg] #4099722
11/06/13 09:19 PM
11/06/13 09:19 PM
Smoky Mtns TN
P
Paul Antczak Offline
trapper
Paul Antczak  Offline
trapper
P

Smoky Mtns TN
Just as I thought. A rat snake

Re: Something Besides the Average Squirrel or Bat Call [Re: Muddawg] #4100098
11/06/13 10:58 PM
11/06/13 10:58 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Yup; many times it's "I know it's a copperhead." And I get there to find a black rat snake.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: Something Besides the Average Squirrel or Bat Call [Re: Dave Schmidt] #4100535
11/07/13 07:24 AM
11/07/13 07:24 AM
Dudley NC
M
Muddawg Offline OP
trapper
Muddawg  Offline OP
trapper
M

Dudley NC
Second trip out there, still.... No sign of snake.

I'd feel better if I could at least find a track.

But, anyway. What cha gonna do, huh?

Muddawg
Re: Something Besides the Average Squirrel or Bat Call [Re: Muddawg] #4100772
11/07/13 10:15 AM
11/07/13 10:15 AM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
I get to catch a porky.......

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: Something Besides the Average Squirrel or Bat Call [Re: Muddawg] #4100780
11/07/13 10:20 AM
11/07/13 10:20 AM
Waterford, WI
N
Nathan Krause Offline
trapper
Nathan Krause  Offline
trapper
N

Waterford, WI
Most likely there was never a snake.

Cable guy was under the place and probably jumpy. I know years ago when I worked for the cable company I hated crawl spaces and dreaded every time I had a work order for a trailer home.

I suspect he heard a rattle or what he thought was a rattle but never seen anything. He was just happy to have an excuse to get from under there.

Re: Something Besides the Average Squirrel or Bat Call [Re: Nathan Krause] #4102722
11/08/13 04:49 AM
11/08/13 04:49 AM
Dudley NC
M
Muddawg Offline OP
trapper
Muddawg  Offline OP
trapper
M

Dudley NC
Originally Posted By: Trapping By Nate
Most likely there was never a snake.

I suspect he heard a rattle or what he thought was a rattle but never seen anything. He was just happy to have an excuse to get from under there.

That was exactly what I was thinking.

BUT, the neighbor, next door call the land lord today and told him that they killed a snake in the back yard. Could have been totally unrelated or as much as I've been bumping around under there these last couple days, I may have spooked it out.

At any rates, I pulled my traps and I'm going back first of the week and dust BOTH houses.

Muddawg
Re: Something Besides the Average Squirrel or Bat Call [Re: Muddawg] #4105643
11/09/13 08:55 PM
11/09/13 08:55 PM
Virginia
U
USNret Offline
trapper
USNret  Offline
trapper
U

Virginia
Had a service guy swear he saw a snake coiled up in the middle of the crawlspace and wouldn't go back down there till it was gone. Customer calls me, I go under there, remove the roll of black flexible ductwork support material and tell everyone the coast was clear.

Last edited by USNret; 11/09/13 08:56 PM.
Re: Something Besides the Average Squirrel or Bat Call [Re: Muddawg] #4106608
11/10/13 01:13 PM
11/10/13 01:13 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Kevin, I hope you took some safety precautions. I realize that most black flexible ductwork support material is non-poisonous but then there is the vicious black mamba flexible ductwork support material and only an expert can tell them apart.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread