ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A Need to explain some personal decisions #4183076
12/18/13 02:08 PM
12/18/13 02:08 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline OP
trapper
330-Trapper  Offline OP
trapper

Minnesota
I feel very Close bond with All of you in the ADC field... and feel a need to explain a couple of very Private decisions My Wife and I had to make this past year.

First of all Thank You to all of you who Supported AES Traps & Tools and those of you who welcomed me into the Pro side of ADC, your encouragement and support was and Is really Out of this world and I appreciate it Greatly.

I made the decision last Spring to cut back my ADC Area to a more reasonable size route... Putting on 60,000 miles each year and driving to the Metro area was keeping me busy sure, but it was not covering the Expenses ...shown to me by my Wife using quickbooks. So I circled in the the territory and that Hurt, many of the Calls were now from people who wanted bubba and a shotgun, or in other words, the job done for nothing.

My AES Cages designed for 99% ADC work were growing in popularity and getting nothing but Rave Reviews... So as I had more time I Expanded the Line of Traps and Tools and had an Awesome Website built that allowed my Customers to see Everything and immediately Pay with Pay Pal. Thank you for this Verron F. and Chris S. Robb Russel and Kirk Dekalb were also very helpful,encouraging and supportive durring this period of growth. In all of this There was LT Grey, who's phone call out of the Blue to me back in 2010 literally Changed my Life and brought me out of Part time ADC work and out of 19.4 years running sporting goods for Wal-Mart. LT Came here and filmed a Promotional advertisement for AES Traps & Tools and then went home and had it edited by a Pro and put it on His own site (with Chris's help) the ADC Network...

So many Hands had a part in my Life and so many of You in the ADC Arena touched me and made my Life a Career, not just a life of Living to punch the "Clock" ...

Things were going Great and I had what I thought was a few bigger opportunities for the Growth of my Trap company...and then all of a sudden when I needed it the most- to pay for all the investments I had incurred ... I had some Major Health issues that the Doctors couldn't figure out.

My Sales durring the Squirrel season March-April and May dropped off to virtually nothing. I had to buy into the 14 Gauge wire that I would ONLY use to the tune of more money than I could come up with... especially since even with my new Website my sales were almost none existant... coupled with the Bills, Sales and my Undiagnosed health problems I did not have the Ability to get to my pre paid for Booth in Lima Ohio at the NTA... LT tried to sell my space before hand, but was unsuccessful ...whe He got to Lima he told me that There was "someone" who had a Booth Selling virtually the exact copies of all my Trap Line, tools included but with a Much Cheaper-thinner Wire.

He said they even were using part of my Logo, the White squirrel.

Blow after blow and I was done... I had pretty much put everything into the Hope that the ADC Traps were my Ticket and that coupled with Less Calls from ADC around the smaller region I would be able to add my Support financially to our household income.

*** I have since been to the MAYO Clinic for a series of tests over 3 long days... that have put me on the path to living much better with my Condition, and I found out I did not have Cancer or any other disease like that. But the New diagnosis and the meds have been a real lifesaver as far as Day to day.

LT Grey, is the Greatest Mentor a guy could ever meet... and I want Him to know Publicly that His Help and Support in my Life means Everything to me. I am Still doing ADC work as the Calls come in, and Like my wife told me (take the ones that make sense and Pay) not just every call from here to the other side of the State.
Thank You Chris, Verron and Rick for your help. Thank You to Everyone who Bought my AES Traps & Tools ... Paul W, you're PM's were always a shot in the Arm and along with your prayers I will not forget. Thank you LT for being the Man you are and for helping others the way you do.

Sincerely, Scott Balts

Last edited by 330-Trapper; 12/18/13 02:17 PM.
Re: A Need to explain some personal decisions [Re: 330-Trapper] #4183191
12/18/13 03:29 PM
12/18/13 03:29 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Scott,

I personally haven't purchased from you and don't know you outside of the forum, but wanted to say having read your post thank you for sharing. Life is a journey and sharing it with others is part of what makes it great. I hope that things start heading in a better direction for you and that you reach the things you aspire to in life.

And again, thanks for taking the time to share with folks.

Best wishes,

Justin

Re: A Need to explain some personal decisions [Re: 330-Trapper] #4183203
12/18/13 03:42 PM
12/18/13 03:42 PM
Rochester MN-ish
D
Dawgcatcher Offline
trapper
Dawgcatcher  Offline
trapper
D

Rochester MN-ish
Glad to see you made it thru the "Clinic" with good results,

I have known MANY folk that are just treated like a number, and given the run-around, often getting conflicting
information and diagnosis from different people

Whichever path your life takes now, I wish you good health

Somebody told me once God never deals harsh challenges to the weak, cause he knows they cannot handle it

Whatsamatta boy? Don't you like clowns ?
Re: A Need to explain some personal decisions [Re: 330-Trapper] #4183343
12/18/13 05:14 PM
12/18/13 05:14 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Scott, many thanks for the explanation. I have always been taught that God only gives us what we can bear. Quite obviously God knows that you can handle a lot. It also sounds that God has blessed you with a wife that probably makes up for any of your shortcomings. ( If you read between the lines, you can see where you and I have something in common along that line )

I also find it kind of amazing that people who hunt, trap, fish, and do ADC work, also have a trust in God that most of their detractors seem to lack.

Re: A Need to explain some personal decisions [Re: 330-Trapper] #4183393
12/18/13 05:42 PM
12/18/13 05:42 PM
Georgia
B
Barehunter Offline
trapper
Barehunter  Offline
trapper
B

Georgia
Thanks for your post Scott. Hoping and praying for the best for you. I fought an unknown disease for many years and know how frustrating it is to be sick and have no diagnosis. Now, as you know, I have a new enemy (brain cancer)...I used to be afraid I would get cancer. Now that I have it, I have no fear of it at all...just another challenge. Glad you are getting some relief at least. Take it one day at a time and make the best of each!

I have many of your traps and they are built like a tank. Best wishes in all of your future endeavors and may God bless you.

Re: A Need to explain some personal decisions [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4183409
12/18/13 05:49 PM
12/18/13 05:49 PM
Georgia
B
Barehunter Offline
trapper
Barehunter  Offline
trapper
B

Georgia
Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

I also find it kind of amazing that people who hunt, trap, fish, and do ADC work, also have a trust in God that most of their detractors seem to lack.

Paul...I suspect that it is because we observe God's creation every day. After all God was the first fur trapper when he made Adam and Eve coats of animal skins!

Re: A Need to explain some personal decisions [Re: 330-Trapper] #4183419
12/18/13 05:52 PM
12/18/13 05:52 PM
somewhere in the middle of MT
D
DAVE SALYS-CWCP Offline
trapper
DAVE SALYS-CWCP  Offline
trapper
D

Scott that's a rough row to hoe. Didn't you tell me in one of our conversations that sometime in the past you were in a bad car wreck? Could that be part of the problem?
By your post are you quitting the equipment building part? I hope not, I think the problem is like Comstock and Advance just built too well to wear out.
Good luck and don't be a stranger.

Re: A Need to explain some personal decisions [Re: DAVE SALYS-CWCP] #4183825
12/18/13 08:25 PM
12/18/13 08:25 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline OP
trapper
330-Trapper  Offline OP
trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted By: DAVE SALYS-CWCP
Scott that's a rough row to hoe. Didn't you tell me in one of our conversations that sometime in the past you were in a bad car wreck? Could that be part of the problem?
By your post are you quitting the equipment building part? I hope not, I think the problem is like Comstock and Advance just built too well to wear out.
Good luck and don't be a stranger.

I have been a Stranger on here because I didn't think anyone would understand...and It wasn't a car wreck Dave that I told you about it was a Major Stroke in which I have lost one of my two carotid arteries in my Neck and have 2 brain blockages still at 80%. However, the Doc's don't know how I am functioning as well as I am, but its because of Gods Touch.

Thank You all for the kind words and Understanding ... my path is not clear as to the future. I've taken on a young 23 year old to mentor into fur trapping, and I've done some of that this fall.

Praying for you also Barehunter!

Re: A Need to explain some personal decisions [Re: 330-Trapper] #4183867
12/18/13 08:39 PM
12/18/13 08:39 PM
Gainesville, Alachua, Florida,...
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

Gainesville, Alachua, Florida,...
Scott

Glad to finally hear a word from you. I was in shock last spring when you called and wanted me to stand everything down.

I want you to know you left a void. You were the only guy out there that built squirrel cages like armored tanks.

Not a week goes by that I don't get a call from a WCO and asked where to buy squirrel traps!!

Scott you made Cadillacs out of squirrel cages. You showed your best was even better. cool

Whether or not you are making traps or not or ever again you still set a great standard.

Keep us posted.

Find Our Podcasts @ http://www.thewildlifepro.net
Re: A Need to explain some personal decisions [Re: 330-Trapper] #4183886
12/18/13 08:45 PM
12/18/13 08:45 PM
Woodhull, Illinois 77
J
Jim Bethell Offline
trapper
Jim Bethell  Offline
trapper
J

Woodhull, Illinois 77
Scott; I am not sure what to say. We met a couple of times at conventions. Was always inpressed with what you had been through and what you stood for. I am glad for the post. And will always call you friend.

Re: A Need to explain some personal decisions [Re: 330-Trapper] #4184035
12/18/13 09:26 PM
12/18/13 09:26 PM
North Branch MN
L
Lundy Offline
trapper
Lundy  Offline
trapper
L

North Branch MN
Scott, I tried to send you a pm a while back, your box was full. I lost your phone number when I my phone went bad. I think of you a lot and have wanted to get in contact with you. I would have tried harder to get ahold of you, but I've had some "interesting" health issues as well.
Right rotator cuff went bad in June, surgery was just before Thanksgiving, and I stepped into a window well. Only with my left foot, egress window well, landed on the edge, on my tailbone! Broke my tailbone and severed my urethra. That happened Sept 11. Surgery for that was last Thursday. I have a had a pee bag since the accident. They took out a 3 cm section of scar tissue. Jan 6 I lose the bag.
I didn't intend to hijack your thread. I haven't been able to contact you any other way. I consider you a good friend and wish you luck with your health issues. I DO know what you are going thru.

Re: A Need to explain some personal decisions [Re: 330-Trapper] #4184794
12/19/13 07:57 AM
12/19/13 07:57 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline OP
trapper
330-Trapper  Offline OP
trapper

Minnesota
No hijack here Dave, both you and Troy welcomed me into the "Area" when I laid out my ADC shingle back a few years ago now... and I have Always enjoyed bumping into you on the route, or the Phone calls we have Had. I Consider Both you guys Personal Friends... I am So sorry to hear about your Medical ... Makes my using a Cath. for 6 months seem not so bad... Wow That is a Run of bad things happening... Please call me 651-246-0567 and leave a message if I don't pick up. Also my PM box is cleared up now. I will Pray for you Today and until you are back up and running ...
Sincerely, Scott

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: A Need to explain some personal decisions [Re: 330-Trapper] #4184993
12/19/13 10:09 AM
12/19/13 10:09 AM
D
DAVE SALYS-CWCP Offline
trapper
DAVE SALYS-CWCP  Offline
trapper
D

Stroke, you're too young, that was along time ago we talked. Do you guys notice anything in general here, almost everybody over 30 has medical issues to one degree or another other than Winkelmann and that's just excessive maturity. grin My joints went to hlll just all of a sudden including my feet, and I'm the guy the antelope used to say "who is that guy?" as I walked them into the ground. This business is hard on the body.

Re: A Need to explain some personal decisions [Re: 330-Trapper] #4185113
12/19/13 11:06 AM
12/19/13 11:06 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Salys, that is definitely one to remember. I'm not really old but I do have a touch of excessive maturity. Ha!

Re: A Need to explain some personal decisions [Re: 330-Trapper] #4186977
12/20/13 12:00 AM
12/20/13 12:00 AM
Frankfort, Ky. USA
T
trapperpaw Offline
trapper
trapperpaw  Offline
trapper
T

Frankfort, Ky. USA
Scott,
I looked for you at the NTA I saw your traps at Robb's camporee and left wishing I had bought all of them and planned to get some from you. I saw those traps and they were not as tough as yours. The beauty of your trap is how simple it was that hardly anything could go wrong with it. It lived up to einsteins quote of the answer should be as simple as possible but no simpler. I have some personal issues going on also that have totally taken my focus and your post has helped me to pause and count my blessings. Thank you for sharing your pain and your blessings. I'm going to go kiss my wife in her sleep and do something positive tomorrow. Again thank you and thanks to everyone else who made such positive posts on this thread. I feel better already.

Sleep'n with an animal..I can help.
Do not use both feet when testing the depth or temperature of the water
Your Friend,
Paul Brooker
Re: A Need to explain some personal decisions [Re: trapperpaw] #4187434
12/20/13 09:39 AM
12/20/13 09:39 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline OP
trapper
330-Trapper  Offline OP
trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted By: trapperpaw
Scott,
I looked for you at the NTA I saw your traps at Robb's camporee and left wishing I had bought all of them and planned to get some from you. I saw those traps and they were not as tough as yours. The beauty of your trap is how simple it was that hardly anything could go wrong with it. It lived up to einsteins quote of the answer should be as simple as possible but no simpler. I have some personal issues going on also that have totally taken my focus and your post has helped me to pause and count my blessings. Thank you for sharing your pain and your blessings. I'm going to go kiss my wife in her sleep and do something positive tomorrow. Again thank you and thanks to everyone else who made such positive posts on this thread. I feel better already.

Thanks Paul, I had a Booth paid for at the NTA in Lima... and I wanted so bad to go there AND To finally make it to Robb's Camporee. However the bottom fell out of my financing (few orders) and as much as I Loved building my "Tanks" as some have described them...

Without Orders I could not continue buying into the Expensive 14 Ga. GAW wire... I had talked to another major Trap builder and they had counseled me on how to make it past the Tipping Point with my Business: and making past the tipping point included Buying in Larger quantities all of my products components.

I had just come up with 3 of my New Designs by literally waking up "thinking about them" and on two of those traps I had gotten up at between 2am and 3am to go out to my Shop and build... One of those designs I started building on at 2 something and had it done by 6am... My website designer Chris Sims had it up "Live" for sale by 7am.

So did I have Passion? I had something driving me that was almost out of my control... and I Loved my new designs "Tanks" as was coined by Robb Russel... They were designed To last... and maybe that was part of the problem... I don't know??? but the Orders Dictated how I was able or not able to Pay my bills.

Stress I have come to understand from my Doctors at Mayo is one of my worst enemy's and things like letting issues go and rest, and real lunch hours with FOOD attached ... 3 Ulcer's that have not bled yet and several other issues that I am now getting some relief with through diet and meds have made me physically feel better...

Letting go of the desire to provide my Wares is much harder... but sometimes the Market will guide ...and dictate Last year I sent out 98 Christmas cards to You, my Customers and this year there is that void...

Thank You again LT Grey, Chris, Verron,Rick, Robb R. Kirk Dekalb and Each and Everyone of you On this Forum who come from ADC Families ... and have a Blessed Day.

Re: A Need to explain some personal decisions [Re: 330-Trapper] #4189091
12/21/13 12:15 AM
12/21/13 12:15 AM
North Branch MN
L
Lundy Offline
trapper
Lundy  Offline
trapper
L

North Branch MN
I guess I didn't hang out with you enough to show you how I handle stress. I saw a lot of me in my twenties when I first met you. It took twenty years to figure it out. Do you remember my can wrap? "On time ... is when I get there"
Back when I punched a time clock, I was always getting comments about being 2-10 minutes late for the start of the day. But I always worked until the final whistle, or the job was done, working another 15 minutes didn't bother me. Stress wise, being my own boss, has been the best thing I ever did.
My advice, slowly build up capitol, until you can buy what you need, then sell the best product you can. This was a bump in the road, for you to regroup, then follow your passion!

Re: A Need to explain some personal decisions [Re: 330-Trapper] #4189115
12/21/13 12:29 AM
12/21/13 12:29 AM
North Branch MN
L
Lundy Offline
trapper
Lundy  Offline
trapper
L

North Branch MN
Last year I mentored a new Trapper too. Tubby on Trapperman. He has the same satirical look on life I do. We have wonderful banter back and forth. We call our trapping last year "Conservation" trapping. We didn't catch a single thing! we did have one trap sprung, but that's as close as we got. Between him getting a job in ADC, a dream for him, and my surgeries, we haven't done any trapping this year.
On the line, he would talk to his wife, when they were done, I would yell,'I love you too'. So then when we got back to my house, as we walked in the door, I had him announce 'Honey, I'm home'. He is almost family. His wife is a shoestring relation to my wife.
The best part, he's from Scotland! Two years in the US, he still has a strong accent, and my boys and I joke about it all the time.
I hope your mentoring turns out as well as mine has. Tubby is in his mid twenties also.

Re: A Need to explain some personal decisions [Re: 330-Trapper] #4189982
12/21/13 02:05 PM
12/21/13 02:05 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Scott, blessings to you and yours in this season of miracles...
Did I just see the words "Winkelmann" and "maturity" used in the same sentence?

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: A Need to explain some personal decisions [Re: 330-Trapper] #4190223
12/21/13 04:25 PM
12/21/13 04:25 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Hey, Hey, today is my 71st birthday and just like your batteries, I could go dead without warning. ( And that was "excessive maturity" )

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread