ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Advertising on truck #4266164
01/24/14 11:46 AM
01/24/14 11:46 AM
Texas
O
old & in the way Offline OP
trapper
old & in the way  Offline OP
trapper
O

Texas
I know some of you do not put your logos or advertise your business on your vehicles. Currently I do not but am thinking about plastering my truck with logo and phone number etc... I would like to hear from everyone the pros and cons of doing this.

Ain't broke just badly bent

Re: Advertising on truck [Re: old & in the way] #4266305
01/24/14 01:03 PM
01/24/14 01:03 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Some, including us, don't have them for a variety of reasons. A few reasons including the sane and insane would be.

- folks can't call you in for poor driving
- customers know their neighbors don't know why you are there (maybe they don't want them to)
- commercial clients again like restaurants might not want patrons knowing your there because of critter issues

Up front I'd admit we didn't logo originally because we opened our business ended up with enough calls to suit us and
didn't see a reason to at the time. We also had some folks say they liked that we didn't for the neighbor reason above.

However, this year we are going to do it for a few simple reasons.

1) I know I lose work that I want to do in my area to the folks who are well labeled on their vehicles.

2) While the internet marketing is great, the rolling billboard is an easy to find and call source.

3) Cost is low to logo if you just want number and name, even simple magnetic sign, or you can spend a bunch on
a serious vehicle wrap and go all out to draw more looks and attention.

Ultimately these are both personal and business decisions, but remember advertising is ultimately how those
folks find you to pay you and without a good base of advertising you may sit waiting and wonder why haven't I tried
the old tried and true logo on the vehicle!

Either way good luck!

Justin

Re: Advertising on truck [Re: old & in the way] #4266718
01/24/14 04:37 PM
01/24/14 04:37 PM
Waterford, WI
N
Nathan Krause Offline
trapper
Nathan Krause  Offline
trapper
N

Waterford, WI
One truck is logo'd the other one isn't

Re: Advertising on truck [Re: old & in the way] #4266838
01/24/14 05:36 PM
01/24/14 05:36 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Nicely visible Rick! Great example of how easy to see all your info and clearly what you do!

Re: Advertising on truck [Re: old & in the way] #4266881
01/24/14 05:53 PM
01/24/14 05:53 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Here's the deal with advertising. If you live in an area where having a wildlife control guy taking care of your problems means that you are now living high on the hog and that the neighbors will be envious, go with the advertising.

This is not our case. Nobody wants to have the neighbors know that they have pest or animal problems. This is true whether you live in a subdivision, apartment building, or the state capitol. You don't get bragging rights for critters.

Re: Advertising on truck [Re: old & in the way] #4266988
01/24/14 06:43 PM
01/24/14 06:43 PM
Ohio
Holt Offline
trapper
Holt  Offline
trapper

Ohio
When I answered the phone would talk to people behind me or who saw truck and called right then and there. Schedule jobs or do inspections/set ups for neighbor of customer without even moving my truck (good manors to park your service vehicle on street and ask permission to use drive). If you are servicing someone for wildlife it's a good bet someone else in that neighborhood has wildlife issues as well and if I am OK for their neighbors...Name recognition is priceless, Seeing your service vehicles time and again in "Their" neighborhood makes you a part of their "community". Marked trucks and uniforms offer a sense of security to customers and makes you more approachable to those who may need your service. I want potential customers to know what we do. Truck wraps/graphics pay for their self very quickly and continue to offer that moving billboard and on and on...

If the exterminator, septic service, plumber or any other service provider in your area runs marked vehicles I see no reason not to.

Re: Advertising on truck [Re: old & in the way] #4267010
01/24/14 06:52 PM
01/24/14 06:52 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
And as usual, I agree with Rick. We do have one vehicle that does have advertising. It's our oldest and when it gets replaced, I'm hoping to go with Rick's design. I am still extremely unhappy with the MPG on any of the new vehicles that we are looking at. We have 8 company owned vehicles now and we will need two more.

For one thing, I think a Fusion or a Prius would look pretty dumb with a ladder rack. Okay Charles, we do have uniforms and I'm sure that you do well with signage. Here's what I consider the "dead giveaway" in our area; I have never had anyone ask me why our trucks aren't marked but I have had many people who said that they were glad that they weren't. Different strokes.

Last edited by Paul Winkelmann; 01/24/14 06:58 PM.
Re: Advertising on truck [Re: old & in the way] #4267071
01/24/14 07:23 PM
01/24/14 07:23 PM
somewhere in the middle of MT
D
DAVE SALYS-CWCP Offline
trapper
DAVE SALYS-CWCP  Offline
trapper
D

If you're not sure which way to go run magnetics, OH here it comes "magnets mean you're not committed to your business" I say B.S. when I ran my magnets full time I only picked up one or two extra jobs a year so it really didn't pay to lose my stealth mode which I so often need. Now when I haul a deer or antelope carcass my state permit says I have to have signage, so I slap 'em on and go down the road. I had signs made that are exactly the size of my fold out work tray on my contractors top, I stick them to the bottom, they stay flat and clean. A set of three signs will run $150-180 depending on size so it's a cheap experiment to see which way to go.

Rick, that's a sharp truck just as eye catching as Christian's zebra stripes.

Last edited by DAVE SALYS-CWCP; 01/24/14 07:25 PM.
Re: Advertising on truck [Re: old & in the way] #4267085
01/24/14 07:33 PM
01/24/14 07:33 PM
Waterford, WI
N
Nathan Krause Offline
trapper
Nathan Krause  Offline
trapper
N

Waterford, WI
I have had a couple customers ask during initial phone call if my trucks had decals and that is the main reason I left one bare.

Re: Advertising on truck [Re: old & in the way] #4267093
01/24/14 07:40 PM
01/24/14 07:40 PM
southern Minnesota
BUD25 Offline
trapper
BUD25  Offline
trapper

southern Minnesota
It adds to the public ( credibility) of our company.

Bud's Nuisance Wildlife Removal LLC
www.budstrapco.com
www.trappinmoles.com
Re: Advertising on truck [Re: old & in the way] #4267139
01/24/14 08:01 PM
01/24/14 08:01 PM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Quote:
If you're not sure which way to go run magnetics...

Words of wisdom there.

After a year or two, you'll have a better understanding of what works best in your area.

Re: Advertising on truck [Re: old & in the way] #4267331
01/24/14 09:07 PM
01/24/14 09:07 PM
rhode island
R
ritrapper Offline
trapper
ritrapper  Offline
trapper
R

rhode island
I just bought a new Tacoma about four months ago so I have not gotten my cap lettered yet, but when I had my old truck lettered I would get a lot of jobs from people walking by my truck while I was working in a neighborhood or at a gas station. I have only had one customer that wasn't thrilled that I had mobile advertising, she didn't want anyone to know I was trapping beaver from the lake that everyone there lived on. In reality I don't think anyone really cared.

Steve Rouleau
New England Wildlife

http://newildlifesolutions.com/
401-330-8168

Re: Advertising on truck [Re: old & in the way] #4267543
01/24/14 10:19 PM
01/24/14 10:19 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Steve has the right idea. The only one that thinks the neighbors will talk about her is the customer. But she's the one that writes the check so keeping her happy is priority number one.

I'm also not thrilled to learn about our employee's driving habits from people that will never become customers because our name is plastered all over the side of our truck.

If that's giving our company credibility, I'll stay incredible.

Re: Advertising on truck [Re: old & in the way] #4267801
01/24/14 11:34 PM
01/24/14 11:34 PM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
Quote:

If that's giving our company credibility, I'll stay incredible

I raise you and be supercalafragaincreadadle.,,,,,,,,,,,

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: Advertising on truck [Re: old & in the way] #4267805
01/24/14 11:35 PM
01/24/14 11:35 PM
Florida
WTWC Offline
trapper
WTWC  Offline
trapper

Florida
I feel the same way. I letter/logo my trucks and have a set of white magnets for times that discretion is required.

Re: Advertising on truck [Re: old & in the way] #4267829
01/24/14 11:42 PM
01/24/14 11:42 PM
California
B
Baxter Offline
trapper
Baxter  Offline
trapper
B

California
I didn't have mine lettered, most of my customers asked why it wasn't. Now it is lettered with a "take a card" sticker with magnetic cards that disappear like crazy. Only problem I have is washing the truck, have to keep it clean now it's lettered.

Aaron

Re: Advertising on truck [Re: Vinke] #4268043
01/25/14 02:16 AM
01/25/14 02:16 AM
southern Minnesota
BUD25 Offline
trapper
BUD25  Offline
trapper

southern Minnesota
Originally Posted By: Vinke
Quote:

If that's giving our company credibility, I'll stay incredible

I raise you and be supercalafragaincreadadle.,,,,,,,,,,,

U ever gonna show up at a convention so some of us can meet u? Free drinks

Bud's Nuisance Wildlife Removal LLC
www.budstrapco.com
www.trappinmoles.com
Re: Advertising on truck [Re: old & in the way] #4268072
01/25/14 03:15 AM
01/25/14 03:15 AM
Ohio
Holt Offline
trapper
Holt  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Pulling traps out of trucks, bringing wildlife in traps back to truck, taking traps up and down ladders...sorta figured neighbors would have an idea what we were doing at home with or without lettering on trucks.

Re: Advertising on truck [Re: Holt] #4268175
01/25/14 08:17 AM
01/25/14 08:17 AM
Virginia
U
USNret Offline
trapper
USNret  Offline
trapper
U

Virginia
Originally Posted By: Holt
Pulling traps out of trucks, bringing wildlife in traps back to truck, taking traps up and down ladders...sorta figured neighbors would have an idea what we were doing at home with or without lettering on trucks.

True! And I'd rather the neighbors know it's a licensed, insured, and trained company handling the job rather than the customer's brother-in-law, Billy Bob, who just picked up a couple traps at HD. I handed out SIX business cards during one stop at the end of a cul-de-sac yesterday. Included neighbors and a delivery driver. Will have a built in testimonial from the happy customer who had my fully lettered truck sitting in her driveway.

If you are going to letter your truck, the most important surface is the tailgate area. I've had 4 trucks with various amounts and types of lettering, from cheesy magnetic signs on the doors to professionally installed lettering on the sides and/or rear. The one that pays the best dividends is the one with rear door lettering. It scored our first call on the way from the lettering company's location, and the second call within an hour of that. Those two calls paid for the entire lettering job. I regularly get calls for appointments while waiting at stoplights, and have yet to get a call to report my superior driving skills.

Re: Advertising on truck [Re: Holt] #4268426
01/25/14 11:09 AM
01/25/14 11:09 AM
D
DAVE SALYS-CWCP Offline
trapper
DAVE SALYS-CWCP  Offline
trapper
D

Originally Posted By: Holt

All my cages have covers and I always back into the driveway or park in the alley, you would never know if I was the cable guy or an electrician. Of course this requires a completely none leaking truck.

Now when it comes to hands on capture I put on full camo and face paint, put the catch pole in my teeth and belly crawl through the yard,
aka Rambo Wildlife Control. grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread