ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Squirrel Question #4293966
02/05/14 06:10 PM
02/05/14 06:10 PM
Shelby County Ohio (Mid Wester...
B
BackwoodsCritter Offline OP
trapper
BackwoodsCritter  Offline OP
trapper
B

I am dealing with a squirrel in the wall caught one on the roof but other one seems to only stay in the wall. Any suggestions on getting him outta the wall & into a trap? Chance that he is stuck in there? Going over my quote on this job getting frustrated been there 3 days now he wont come out of that spot homeowner claims they are only hearing him in that one spot. Thanks guys!

Re: Squirrel Question [Re: BackwoodsCritter] #4294142
02/05/14 07:41 PM
02/05/14 07:41 PM
Manchester, CT
K
Keith J. Ferry Offline
trapper
Keith J. Ferry  Offline
trapper
K

Manchester, CT
open up the wall. if you dont do sheet rock, let the customer know before you start cutting.

Re: Squirrel Question [Re: BackwoodsCritter] #4294169
02/05/14 07:52 PM
02/05/14 07:52 PM
Michigan
DaveK Offline
trapper
DaveK  Offline
trapper

Michigan
It's not a squirrel.

Re: Squirrel Question [Re: BackwoodsCritter] #4294252
02/05/14 08:30 PM
02/05/14 08:30 PM
Manchester, CT
K
Keith J. Ferry Offline
trapper
Keith J. Ferry  Offline
trapper
K

Manchester, CT
not always true, Dave. Ive pulled a number of squirrels out of walls even after I was certain that it wasnt a squirrel.

Re: Squirrel Question [Re: BackwoodsCritter] #4294315
02/05/14 08:53 PM
02/05/14 08:53 PM
B
trapper
trapper
B

Cut the wall open?!

Re: Squirrel Question [Re: BackwoodsCritter] #4294556
02/05/14 10:31 PM
02/05/14 10:31 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Why open the wall up just make a big mess things still alive means there's a hole . My guess it's on a crawl space and there's mice getting into the wall thru the crawl space . Should find small holes around the outside walls about big around as your thumb . I know noise to loud for mice I've herd that like every single time it's been mice . So you thru a trap on the roof caught a squirrel that was a waist of time now your looking bad because you didn't do the detective work before starting the trapping just thru your hands up said throw a trap on the roof see what happens lesson learned time to get on your hands and knees fix the problem .

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: Squirrel Question [Re: BackwoodsCritter] #4294628
02/05/14 10:54 PM
02/05/14 10:54 PM
Waterford, WI
N
Nathan Krause Offline
trapper
Nathan Krause  Offline
trapper
N

Waterford, WI
I agree with Dave and Pesky.

Pulled a lot of animals from walls but this time of year it "usually" ends up being mice.

Maybe flyers but if you pound on the wall flyers usually scatter making a lot of racket.

I still bet mice.

Re: Squirrel Question [Re: BackwoodsCritter] #4294930
02/06/14 12:57 AM
02/06/14 12:57 AM
B
trapper
trapper
B

Pesky thanks for your info & "assuming" i just threw a trap on the roof & called it good. I put a trap on the roof because thats where they are coming & going to get in the attic. How the squirrel is in the wall im not sure.

Re: Squirrel Question [Re: BackwoodsCritter] #4294953
02/06/14 01:17 AM
02/06/14 01:17 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
If it's mice they'll be on the floor and if it's a squirrel you can usually feel them through the drywall. Last squirrel in the wall was in a bathroom. I was able to take off the baseboard and make a hole through the drywall and positive set it for the squirrel. ( This could also work for mice ) After the squirrel was caught I cemented the drywall back in place and covered the whole thing back up with the baseboard.

Re: Squirrel Question [Re: BackwoodsCritter] #4295122
02/06/14 07:09 AM
02/06/14 07:09 AM
Luray,VA
M
Mike Hurley Offline
trapper
Mike Hurley  Offline
trapper
M

Luray,VA
Shove a fiber optic scope in there. Small hole good visual.

Re: Squirrel Question [Re: BackwoodsCritter] #4295135
02/06/14 07:30 AM
02/06/14 07:30 AM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Did not say there was a hole into the attic or even explain there was a problem in the attic at all so your dealing with two problems . There little chance the animal can get from the attic into the wall unless your dealing with some old balloon framed home or there some kinda bathroom or kitchen drop above the problem spot in the wall so chances are start looking below the wall that's where I would start looking

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: Squirrel Question [Re: BackwoodsCritter] #4295281
02/06/14 10:26 AM
02/06/14 10:26 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
First what was the squirrel that you caught on the roof? female, Male, Female in heat, young adult, nursing, Breeder male? this answer, will set your job on what direction you need to take. the 4 w's that I talk about in my seminars. Everything that has been said above, although may or may not, be true is simply assuming at this point. If the squirrel on the roof was a female showing signs of nursing then yes it can be a squirrel in the wall. a young squirrel say 3 to 4 weeks old is some what mobile, and if the nest was near an opening in the wall, that a young squirrel can get into, then it may fall in, if mom is not coming back, and the young one starts to roam.
Next question I did not see asked was, is the noise at the top of the wall or at the bottom. maybe it was asked and I missed it. If at the bottom, for a day or so, unless someone hears it going up and down or hears it for a while then long time frame of not hearing it, Then the critter is stuck there. It will have to be cut out. If it was a adult stuck at the bottom and dry wall, most likely it would chew out. if it is a young squirrel, then it will be there till it dies. I have seen Young greys 3 to 8 weeks old estimated age live 5 to 7 and sometime up to 10 days in a wall, where mom has been killed or gone.
Another question is if at the bottom of the wall, how did a squirrel get there. Unless it is a older home, with balloon construction, the walls are built with top plates. So there would have to be some sort of entry point in that stud void at the top of that stud section. like a lot of kitchens have the box soffits over the cabinets, or where the duct work is going into the walls from the attic for examples. Chaseways for a better term. In other words before you cut how would a squirrel get there? if it can then think of things that may be out of the box.
Is the noise scratching? as the customer always states, really chewing but who cares LOL or is the noise thumping and running. I am amazed at how many customers, tell me that the animal is in the wall half way down in an interior wall, yet tell me that it is running along the wall. The ears can play tricks on folks. But a critter in the wall can only go 14.5 inches left or right. LOL So if it is moving left and right more than the mentioned then the critter is on top in the ceiling. Exterior wall the animal can be half way down because of insulation.
Is the noise day or night? Greys and Pines day, I will assume fox day, flyers night, mice night. Rats anytime they want LOL
Where does the customer hear the most noise at, when daybreak is close, or right after dark. that will be the nest area, is that near the wall noise. also did the noise start after the squirrel was caught on the roof in this spot or has it been there for a while.
I have at least another page of questions I could ask, before I will even think to tell you what to do. But I am tired of writing and hitting the spell check so this is a starting point for ya. I will say this, it amazes me how for most of us, Grey squirrels are 50 to 75% of our business, yet we treat them as these dumb easy to catch critter one glove fits all in methods and mindsets. I have studied grey squirrel more than Raccoons and skunks, and I have studied them pretty hard also LOL and found in ADC there is no real one size fits all

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Squirrel Question [Re: BackwoodsCritter] #4295327
02/06/14 10:49 AM
02/06/14 10:49 AM
rhode island
R
ritrapper Offline
trapper
ritrapper  Offline
trapper
R

rhode island
Listen to jonesie, he knows his squirrels! Maybe if you put the phone to the wall ron can call the squirrel out for ya! grin

Last edited by ritrapper; 02/06/14 10:54 AM.

Steve Rouleau
New England Wildlife

http://newildlifesolutions.com/
401-330-8168

Re: Squirrel Question [Re: BackwoodsCritter] #4296697
02/06/14 09:09 PM
02/06/14 09:09 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
In a few weeks it will start to work LOL haven't tried the calls in a few months maybe I will see this week, young should be here or coming, the quarter size holes are starting LOL I have not had any jump on me in a lot of years though. Don't know if I want to either.

Last edited by Jonesie; 02/06/14 09:10 PM.

Ron Jones
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Squirrel Question [Re: BackwoodsCritter] #4297965
02/07/14 12:44 PM
02/07/14 12:44 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
You're right Ron. When you have one sitting on your cap and a net in your hand, it's a real tough decision whether to net your head or not. ( I chickened out, but there's always next time )

P.S. I love the "squirrel in a bathroom" jobs but since I'm usually the tallest "tree" in the bathroom, the squirrel ends up on my head half the time. I've got to train them to take selfies.

P.P.S. In over twenty-five years of hand to hand combat with practically every creature native to the Midwest, I've never been attacked and bitten. How about the rest of you?

Re: Squirrel Question [Re: BackwoodsCritter] #4299109
02/07/14 08:39 PM
02/07/14 08:39 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
Grey squirrels tear me up at least once every year LOL I have never been attacked by a grey squirrel, but when I grab them I have a split sec to figure out if I am too far back, most of the time they let me know before I figure it out. LOL last one that got me the blood was running pretty good. I have had coon false charge most of the time in the attic's when I am doing the pup sounds, but there has been a coon or 2 that kept coming. thank the lord for hats and mag lights LOL and I am not to proud to say I retreated fast. LOL

Ron Jones
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Squirrel Question [Re: Jonesie] #4299122
02/07/14 08:44 PM
02/07/14 08:44 PM
Texas
Werewolf Offline
trapper
Werewolf  Offline
trapper

Texas
Interesting, the very first squirrel i shot was about a year ago. I have not shot one since...they never come in my yard anymore and run like lightning when they see me smirk true story

The predator heart
Knows no remorse
It lives for the hunt
Re: Squirrel Question [Re: BackwoodsCritter] #4299727
02/08/14 12:30 AM
02/08/14 12:30 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
I know what you mean Jonesie; I get bitten all the time because I'm a moron; just not attacked and bitten. Our most senior technician told me he's never been bitten. I told him. "Then you just ain't trying!"

Re: Squirrel Question [Re: BackwoodsCritter] #4300047
02/08/14 09:42 AM
02/08/14 09:42 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
Lol when a squirrel is bouncing off the walls and knocking down all those nic nacs and headed for a crystal something that looks like big bucks well gotta grab the squirrel LOL what I hate is when they bite you can't let go so I grab the thing with the other hand and squeeze it little neck LOL as it is still chewing.

Ron Jones
Friend me on FaceBook
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread