ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Coyote and fox question #4297767
02/07/14 11:07 AM
02/07/14 11:07 AM
Wisconsin, Madison
R
Richard N Offline OP
trapper
Richard N  Offline OP
trapper
R

Wisconsin, Madison
I am new to this forum and to trapping fox, so bear with me on this question. Will Coyotes kill a snared or trapped fox? If I am trying to live capture and then release a red fox, what is the danger of the fox being killed by coyotes while the fox is in the snare before we can get to it?(the fox are being trapped for a research study) We have been trying to catch a pair of foxes using trail set snares in one urban area and have caught 5 coyotes in a different area only a block away.(coyotes are also part of the study and we wanted to catch them in this area) This is right in down town Madison and we know that there are a pair of foxes as they are seen almost daily.
Thanks for any posts
Richard

Re: Coyote and fox question [Re: Richard N] #4297867
02/07/14 12:07 PM
02/07/14 12:07 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
With my luck, coyotes would probably make a fox sandwich out of any that I snared in southeast Wisconsin.

Re: Coyote and fox question [Re: Richard N] #4298347
02/07/14 03:09 PM
02/07/14 03:09 PM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
If there are coyotes in the area, I think you would be at relatively high risk of having your fox killed if in a snare or foot hold trap. They are competitors after all.

The only way I could see the fox being completely safe from coyotes is to catch them in cage traps.

Re: Coyote and fox question [Re: Richard N] #4300060
02/08/14 09:51 AM
02/08/14 09:51 AM
CT
ctnwco860 Offline
trapper
ctnwco860  Offline
trapper

CT
My experience has been that coyote will kill foxes found in their territory caught in traps. Just a suggestion, but if you want to minimize the time an animal is held in "whatever device" so that it can be collared and released before a coyote perhaps kills it, I would consider electronic trap monitoring. You'd know immediately when a capture is made and could respond in a more timely fashion than leaving the animal in a trap, say overnight ! Sends a text message to your phone when the device is triggered. There are a several systems on the market, the one we handle is Trap Alert, especially for research purposes you should give it a look.

Alan A. Huot
WCS

P.O. Box 538
East Granby, CT 06026
ctnwco860@gmail.com
www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com

Re: Coyote and fox question [Re: Richard N] #4300279
02/08/14 11:59 AM
02/08/14 11:59 AM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it sounds like you're catching coyotes in snares set for fox. If I'm correct with that, then you need to do two things if you're going to keep using snares. First, make a smaller snare loop size (I prefer 6 - 7 inches max for fox) and set them so the bottom loop of the snare is 6 - 8 inches off the ground. You can use a small stick set directly below the loop to force the head up and into the snare.

Also, to keep coyotes and deer out of the snares you can brush in the area making a simple tunnel about 10 - 12 inches before and after the snare that the fox will go through but larger animals will go around/over. Red fox are caught each year in 5 x 5 body gripping traps so don't think a 6 inch loop is too small.

Lastly, as Alan suggested put some sort of monitoring device on the snare. This can be as simple as using the cellular cable Covert or HCO game trail cameras (you can get Covert cameras at www.shopWCS.com and HCO cameras are available from Rob Erickson) or one of the electronic monitoring devices like Trap Alert or TrapSmart. The reason I'm recommending the game camera is that you can get additional data by setting it to movie or multiple picture mode and may help you see how the fox approaches and reacts to the set.

What you don't want to have happen during a research project is the following I've experienced with fox while targeting coyotes.

My coyote snares are usually 10 inches off the ground with a 10 inch loop, but if I'm concerned with fox I'll go 12 and 12. The reason for 12 inches off the ground is to allow the fox to walk under the snare but what I've noticed is that they tend to jump through the loop more times than they walk under it. This causes two issues if you're using cam locks with breakaways (or possibly any lock that doesn't have a deer stop).

First, the fox can fire the snare as it jumps through and end up getting caught by the tail. For fur trapping, this isn't as much of an issue as most of our sets are out of sight from the general public, but for research in a metropolitan area you don't want anyone seeing a fox or any animal for that matter caught that way. Second, the fox can get hip snared and die which is what has mainly happened to me. From what I've been told by researchers, it is a build up of uric acid that killed them. Personally, I don't know if that is true or not. All I know is that the fox were dead and I didn't want them to be.

Eric Arnold
Publishing Editor W.C.T. Magazine
Editor The Fur Taker Magazine
Re: Coyote and fox question [Re: sgs] #6591778
08/10/19 06:09 AM
08/10/19 06:09 AM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Originally Posted by sgs

The only way I could see the fox being completely safe from coyotes is to catch them in cage traps.
Is it very hard to cage trap fox?

Re: Coyote and fox question [Re: Richard N] #6592025
08/10/19 03:11 PM
08/10/19 03:11 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Are you talking Snares, or Cable Restraint Devices? But; Yeah, the Fox' won't stand a chance.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread