ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Do you release on site? #4388134
03/19/14 11:20 PM
03/19/14 11:20 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline OP
trapper
Throw Back  Offline OP
trapper
T

California
California law states that a trapped animal must be either euthanized or released on sight. They dont want animals being relocated to prevent the spread of disease. Do any of you trap animals, make exclusions and then choose to release them?

Re: Do you release on site? [Re: Throw Back] #4388159
03/19/14 11:36 PM
03/19/14 11:36 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
I have a real problem with this idea in my area. Let's start with squirrels. Unless I can convince the customer to put steel siding on his entire wood house, the squirrel will be back in before I pull out of the yard.

Raccoons are worse. If they want back in they'll pull the steel siding right off of the house. I had a lady that locked one out and that's exactly what the raccoon did. It pulled off her siding. Some raccoons will just go live in the house next door.

Re: Do you release on site? [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4388165
03/19/14 11:43 PM
03/19/14 11:43 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline OP
trapper
Throw Back  Offline OP
trapper
T

California
Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
I have a real problem with this idea in my area. Let's start with squirrels. Unless I can convince the customer to put steel siding on his entire wood house, the squirrel will be back in before I pull out of the yard.

Raccoons are worse. If they want back in they'll pull the steel siding right off of the house. I had a lady that locked one out and that's exactly what the raccoon did. It pulled off her siding. Some raccoons will just go live in the house next door.

I figured for raccoons. But I have kicked skunks out of a house and two acres and they seemed to just mosey on elsewhere. "Live in the house next door" or "create job security"? HAHA. I do agree though, I was just seeing if anyone had any results

Re: Do you release on site? [Re: Throw Back] #4388234
03/20/14 01:02 AM
03/20/14 01:02 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
There can and have been lots of opinions on this and of course many folks have different state laws.

On the overview, if the home structure is the type that the species in question can quickly re-enter most would have to either euthanize
or not be offering exclusion that has a warranty if releasing on site.

That may sound confusing to some, but I've had this discussion on here and elsewhere and of course have faced these issues in my area as well.

I have done skunks where they were released on site after exclusion was performed and had no issues, however the homes and entry points were such
that I feel comfortable with it, however many folks have plenty of stories that back up the idea that you are creating more issues for yourself and the homeowner by release on site even if exclusion was performed.

Ultimately as long as following your states laws you can do it based on your experience or the experience of others. I get lots of skunk calls and when they aren't the type where rover was involved and folks are just trying to evict from a shed, outbuilding or home, I'm offering exclusion and thats it, so skunk is still in the neighborhood along with his cousins and "relatics" as they say.

Now, how many folks prefer to call the next guy who says, "I can come trap it and take it away?" Most, however my business model doesn't have me after this particular venue so I do those who are looking for the exclusion and long term fix and I let the rest call the yellow trucks or the local pest control companies.

I know factually from folks on this forum who are colleagues and trusted sources that many critters are going to rip back in, but most of those folks would also say it depends on the season and motivation.

Are we talking lactating female skunks and raccoon? If we lock them out without getting the young we are obviously offering a situation that will test any exclusion or siding material. Based on many stories this seems to be a nearly 100% way to have problems when dealing with a female with young as we would expect....

Anyway, I'm rambling, hope some of that made sense....

Justin

Re: Do you release on site? [Re: Throw Back] #4388430
03/20/14 07:47 AM
03/20/14 07:47 AM
Michigan
DaveK Offline
trapper
DaveK  Offline
trapper

Michigan
I think CA is trying to have Justin relocated to their state...and send everyone else to WI.

Re: Do you release on site? [Re: Throw Back] #4388656
03/20/14 10:25 AM
03/20/14 10:25 AM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Unless raising young, Skunks move around a lot, and seem to rarely sleep in the same place 2 nights in a row.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Do you release on site? [Re: Throw Back] #4388738
03/20/14 11:18 AM
03/20/14 11:18 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
smile (davek)

Our state changed their policy actually here to no rabies vectors being relocated so we are largely in that California boat due to threat from the AZ gray fox strain that has made it here and caused concerns.

Part of the fun discussion on this is if offering and selling exclusion one is saying that the species can't get back in.

Yet we can't release on site, because the animal will get back in? Ummm? I'm paying to exclude why then?

------

Now don't hang me! I realize that an animal who has an affinity for a location is more likely to make the effort, but you do have to do a guy check on what exclusion means if you can't leave that one critter there!

smile

Re: Do you release on site? [Re: Throw Back] #4388767
03/20/14 11:36 AM
03/20/14 11:36 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Yeah, that's why we don't do exclusions for squirrels, only closures. The only way I could guarantee a squirrel exclusion was if the customer moved into my house, which is all brick with steel soffits. Everybody loves their old wooden houses; especially the squirrels, mice, woodpeckers, carpenter ants, etc. etc. etc.

Re: Do you release on site? [Re: Throw Back] #4388790
03/20/14 11:48 AM
03/20/14 11:48 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
That is a good term definition Paul, exclusion versus closure. In all seriousness that is very important and a great option for homes that are as you say prone to anything munching in!

Disclaimer, I don't deal with squirrels here the way folks do with gray and red squirrels in other parts of the country, we have rock squirrels in the lower elevations and pine squirrels in the higher, but it is rare that I get calls where they overlap my bat or other needs.

I know that as Ron S. puts it, squirrels are like a furry buzz saw or something to that extent, and I respect that some species you would only be inviting problems by releasing on site.

I'm fine with euthanasia and offer it as an option to folks if they don't or I can't release a particular species on site as state law permits, but I don't offer relocation.

Last edited by HD_Wildlife; 03/20/14 12:11 PM. Reason: disclaimer
Re: Do you release on site? [Re: Throw Back] #4389093
03/20/14 02:55 PM
03/20/14 02:55 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
In a word, NO.
Step one: remove the offending individuals by lethal or relocation means
Step two: exclude against re-entry by others
It ain't the only way, but it's the Cowboy Way!

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: Do you release on site? [Re: Throw Back] #4389340
03/20/14 05:37 PM
03/20/14 05:37 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
In Two Words, No, Maybe! Come on Dave. Don't tell me that you were never paid to catch something like a comparatively harmless flying squirrel and caught this really ugly Norway rat, and the customer said, "I'm not paying for that ugly thing", so you opened the cage and it ran up her dress. It's the Cowgirl Way!

Re: Do you release on site? [Re: Throw Back] #4389807
03/20/14 09:56 PM
03/20/14 09:56 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
I...don't know what I'd do if I caught somebody's rat and she didn't want it removed!

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: Do you release on site? [Re: Throw Back] #4390099
03/21/14 03:02 AM
03/21/14 03:02 AM
Sacramento, CA
P
Paul James Offline
trapper
Paul James  Offline
trapper
P

Sacramento, CA
The problem with releasing the critter, is that critter will be 10 times more difficult to catch if it is released. It will probably never go in a cage trap again. Euthanizing is the only means that is effective. Its interesting that California now give up to 2 hours to dispatch the animal. So whereas you are supposed to dispatch at the site, many take them away to dispatch them. The law is not very clear now whether it has to be onsite or away from the site.

Re: Do you release on site? [Re: Paul James] #4390151
03/21/14 06:06 AM
03/21/14 06:06 AM
NE, NC
B
Big Bear Wildlif Offline
trapper
Big Bear Wildlif  Offline
trapper
B

NE, NC
Originally Posted By: Paul James
The problem with releasing the critter, is that critter will be 10 times more difficult to catch if it is released. It will probably never go in a cage trap again. Euthanizing is the only means that is effective. Its interesting that California now give up to 2 hours to dispatch the animal. So whereas you are supposed to dispatch at the site, many take them away to dispatch them. The law is not very clear now whether it has to be onsite or away from the site.

How many times in the past I would let a non target animal go only to find him in one of my traps the next day. I relocate all except rabies vector animals. So true that with most animals, us included. Once behind bars, no returning. LOL

Be Green, Buy Fur.
NE- NC
Re: Do you release on site? [Re: Big Bear Wildlif] #4390339
03/21/14 09:13 AM
03/21/14 09:13 AM
Woodhull, Illinois 77
J
Jim Bethell Offline
trapper
Jim Bethell  Offline
trapper
J

Woodhull, Illinois 77
How many times in the past I would let a non target animal go only to find him in one of my traps the next day. I relocate all except rabies vector animals. So true that with most animals, us included. Once behind bars, no returning. LOL [/quote]
Not always true. I worked as a police officer for 36 years. Usually delt with the same people all the time. Had a couple that when they got out we would get a pool going to bet on how long before they would be back inside.

Re: Do you release on site? [Re: Throw Back] #4390578
03/21/14 11:38 AM
03/21/14 11:38 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
On the topic of repeat offenders if we are talking skunks and raccoon I have conducted field studies where we live trapped for radio collaring purposes. If I had a nickel for every one of our collared animals that was back in a trap afterward I would not be on this forum as I'd be snoozing on a beach somewhere on a private island! smile

Now if we are talking coyote, feral hog, and a few particular individuals out of the other species, yup, catch me once and your done is a good bet, but with the average raccoon or skunk (have also had squirrel, muskrat, nutria), not the same case.

Now the thread was about the fact that it was illegal to relocate, so you had to release on site or euthanize.

If we opened this up to the relocation scenario, how many folks are relocating (via cage trap, including homeowners trapping their own, local animal control and others outside our profession) and you end up chasing a critter that has already seen a trap?

Gobs of them!!!

I've had clients who have told me they moved 20-30 rock squirrels 10 miles away (to another part of suburbia), others who have moved 10-40 raccoon a year same scenario and so forth.

We all know that in a suburban and urban environment most critters that aren't newborn have seen a trap before, just maybe not ours!

Opens up a whole can of worms these discussions, but I think the worms are fun to discuss and debate!

smile

Justin

Re: Do you release on site? [Re: Throw Back] #4390684
03/21/14 12:46 PM
03/21/14 12:46 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Keep talking guys. I was going to put in my two centavos but I need to have interesting columns and this is sure interesting.

Re: Do you release on site? [Re: Throw Back] #4391163
03/21/14 06:53 PM
03/21/14 06:53 PM
Chocowinity, NC
Phil Nichols Offline
trapper
Phil Nichols  Offline
trapper

Chocowinity, NC
Only those with training and names.

Re: Do you release on site? [Re: Throw Back] #4391179
03/21/14 07:06 PM
03/21/14 07:06 PM
California
B
Baxter Offline
trapper
Baxter  Offline
trapper
B

California
I leave that choice up to the customer, if they want it gone it's gone.

Aaron

Re: Do you release on site? [Re: Throw Back] #4395034
03/23/14 11:26 PM
03/23/14 11:26 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline OP
trapper
Throw Back  Offline OP
trapper
T

California
Well, maybe I'm just sentimental, I was just thinking of different options if I had to pull out some babies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread