Cooking on the Wild Side

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives~Lure Formulator Forum
~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Recipe for making bacon #4564648
07/20/14 01:39 AM
07/20/14 01:39 AM
louisiana
K
Kirk Offline OP
trapper
Kirk  Offline OP
trapper
K

louisiana
after the response I got from folks wanting my recipe for homemade bacon I thought it would be easier to just post it here instead or rewriting it all those time

1 Tsp of Pink salt (the curing salt)
1/4 cup of plain table salt
1/2 cup of brown sugar
5 lbs of pork belly

Now the work begins take and cut the skin and as much of the fat off as you can (dont worry you can save this for making cracklings) this will help the cure get down into the meat well.
Take a heavy table fork (the kind you eat with) and poke hole all over the meat on both sides and run cure into the meat well
Now wrap well in plastic wrap, and put in the ice box with nothing on top of it, turn the meat once a day for at least 5 days (I usually go 6 r 7 so I can do all the work on weekends)
Take meat out of ice box rinse well and rub down with brown sugar maple syrup or what every is your sweet flavoring or choice. Hang in smoke house smoking at 165 degrees for at least 8 hour or more if you wish to have more of a smoke flavor to your bacon

Re: Recipe for making bacon [Re: Kirk] #4674926
10/05/14 10:20 AM
10/05/14 10:20 AM
Tennessee
A
Audie Offline
trapper
Audie  Offline
trapper
A

Tennessee
Kirk, I don't have a smokehouse but I do have a Weber Smoky Mtn charcoal smoker that I smoke boston buts on for 14 to 16 hours, Would that work ?

Go Vols
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread