ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
My first Woodchuck #4598126
08/11/14 07:04 PM
08/11/14 07:04 PM
Reed City, Michigan
W
WPS Offline OP
trapper
WPS  Offline OP
trapper
W

Reed City, Michigan
I have been doing ADC work part-time now for almost 4 years and I received my first woodchuck nuisance call on Friday. Poor lady's yard is a shamble! I set a couple live traps Friday evening and used good ole cantaloupe for bait.... he visited everyday but finally decided to step over the line!

Last edited by Pepe Le Pew; 08/11/14 07:05 PM.

David Belden, WCO
Wildlife Pro Services
Re: My first Woodchuck [Re: WPS] #4598150
08/11/14 07:18 PM
08/11/14 07:18 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Quote:
he visited everyday but finally decided to step over the line!

Do you have video of that?

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: My first Woodchuck [Re: Kirk De] #4598313
08/11/14 08:39 PM
08/11/14 08:39 PM
Reed City, Michigan
W
WPS Offline OP
trapper
WPS  Offline OP
trapper
W

Reed City, Michigan
Sorry.. no video, home owner tells me she watched him everyday go under the fence and scamper around the live trap

David Belden, WCO
Wildlife Pro Services
Re: My first Woodchuck [Re: WPS] #4598730
08/11/14 11:21 PM
08/11/14 11:21 PM
Southern Michigan
Cooner22 Offline
trapper
Cooner22  Offline
trapper

Southern Michigan
I hate using live traps for woodchucks, they just don't seem to be productive.

"Not everything on the internet can be believed."
-Abraham Lincoln
Re: My first Woodchuck [Re: WPS] #4598787
08/12/14 12:00 AM
08/12/14 12:00 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Cooner22, that's exactly why i talk about the Comstocks so much. They're like Conibears that don't kill. I used to feel the same way you do.

Re: My first Woodchuck [Re: WPS] #4598907
08/12/14 05:30 AM
08/12/14 05:30 AM
NE, NC
B
Big Bear Wildlif Offline
trapper
Big Bear Wildlif  Offline
trapper
B

NE, NC
As much as I like Comstock's and Advance traps, had a cemetery job with 6 active holes. Three days of positive sets and one chuck. Change to conibears and four the next day. Everything has its place and job. Good job on your first one.

Last edited by Big Bear Wildlif; 08/12/14 05:35 AM.

Be Green, Buy Fur.
NE- NC
Re: My first Woodchuck [Re: Cooner22] #4599929
08/12/14 07:38 PM
08/12/14 07:38 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Quote:

I hate using live traps for woodchucks, they just don't seem to be productive.

What traps were you using and how did you set them?

Re: My first Woodchuck [Re: WPS] #4600174
08/12/14 10:06 PM
08/12/14 10:06 PM
Southern Michigan
Cooner22 Offline
trapper
Cooner22  Offline
trapper

Southern Michigan
Just single door baited live traps, set in about every way imaginable, covered them, you name it, but I had homeowners tell me they ignored them. Those Comstocks would work perfect, but the downside is the price. I'm not going to spend 90-100 dollars on one trap, i could get 6-12 conibears, or 6 padded jaw or a bunch of regular footholds for that money.

-Abraham Lincoln
Re: My first Woodchuck [Re: WPS] #4600253
08/12/14 10:45 PM
08/12/14 10:45 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Most of my sets are in town. I use a Advance trap with a nose cone if I can. In town sooner or later you are going to catch a cat or dog in a conibear. I think my biggest problem was I was pushing the woodchucks. When using bait I set back and let the woodchuck fine the trap on it own. That way maybe they think they have found something on there own. LOL. I had a job and before I could set the trap the owner decide to fix the sprinkler head and moved rock and dug next to the hole. The woodchuck did not like and moved. Just so I do not get in trouble, I used Advance trap just because I did not know about Comstock traps. I read a lot of good things about both.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: My first Woodchuck [Re: WPS] #4600806
08/13/14 11:25 AM
08/13/14 11:25 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Cooner, if the service call is $150 and the woodchucks are fifty bucks apiece, I think you've got the price of the cage pretty well

covered. ( And it's okay to use them more than once )

Re: My first Woodchuck [Re: WPS] #4603552
08/15/14 08:03 AM
08/15/14 08:03 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
Conibears are great for all kinds of nuisance work, no question about it. I will even use foot traps when necessary. Caught 2 chucks this year with my old Northwoods bobcat traps. Of course the big reason for using cage traps in suburban and urban areas is to calm the concerns of all of those watching eyes to see that animals are captured humanely and also that kitties and puppies are not injured. Double door cage traps work as well as conibears in most instances, truly a conibear replacement. It's a lateral move giving up nothing. I have done almost no conibear work for chucks in the past 6 years, but after a few chucks are caught in a cage any animal can be wised up.

When I read the part about "under the fence" there was no reason for that chuck to have enjoyed one more day in the garden. I usually ask a client if there is a den or a fence. Either will do them with a double door cage, usually first night, same with skunks. Just had a pretty much all fenced in yard in which a skunk had passed through. I go to the periphery, find an opening for a chuck or a skunk. This one was in the corner. Took three skunks in a bit over a week.

Most people compare single door trap prices to double door trap prices. Single door traps are a lot less expensive than double door traps, but far less effective, very limited. You just have to ask, is your time worth anything? If you tell customers conibears only, you will be parked in your driveway a lot of the time. There is a big difference between expenses and investment in tools that make money for you. The investment makes you money, the cost of wasted time and effort is a loss.

Re: My first Woodchuck [Re: Jim Comstock] #4603592
08/15/14 08:37 AM
08/15/14 08:37 AM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Originally Posted By: Jim Comstock
Conibears are great for all kinds of nuisance work, no question about it. I will even use foot traps when necessary. Caught 2 chucks this year with my old Northwoods bobcat traps. Of course the big reason for using cage traps in suburban and urban areas is to calm the concerns of all of those watching eyes to see that animals are captured humanely and also that kitties and puppies are not injured. Double door cage traps work as well as conibears in most instances, truly a conibear replacement. It's a lateral move giving up nothing. I have done almost no conibear work for chucks in the past 6 years, but after a few chucks are caught in a cage any animal can be wised up.

When I read the part about "under the fence" there was no reason for that chuck to have enjoyed one more day in the garden. I usually ask a client if there is a den or a fence. Either will do them with a double door cage, usually first night, same with skunks. Just had a pretty much all fenced in yard in which a skunk had passed through. I go to the periphery, find an opening for a chuck or a skunk. This one was in the corner. Took three skunks in a bit over a week.

Most people compare single door trap prices to double door trap prices. Single door traps are a lot less expensive than double door traps, but far less effective, very limited. You just have to ask, is your time worth anything? If you tell customers conibears only, you will be parked in your driveway a lot of the time. There is a big difference between expenses and investment in tools that make money for you. The investment makes you money, the cost of wasted time and effort is a loss.

Jim:
This is not to plug anyone traps but this is good advice to people that are thinking of going into ADC work. We have to do our best to keep a good public image and do our work a humanely as possible. JMO.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: My first Woodchuck [Re: WPS] #4603686
08/15/14 10:13 AM
08/15/14 10:13 AM
Tipton, IN
T
Travis Wolford Offline
trapper
Travis Wolford  Offline
trapper
T

Tipton, IN
Jim, your PM box is full. Send me your # I need to talk to you please. Thanks

it is not a stupid question if you do not know the answer
Re: My first Woodchuck [Re: WPS] #4604007
08/15/14 03:50 PM
08/15/14 03:50 PM
Southern Michigan
Cooner22 Offline
trapper
Cooner22  Offline
trapper

Southern Michigan
Excuse me for not responding, I've been very busy lately.

Paul, if I serviced big cities and made millions like you, I wouldn't have a problem buying comstocks. laugh I think I've mentioned it before, but i'm just doing a handful of ADC jobs a year, I'm in a very rural area, and I wouldn't be able to get away with charging that much. Most everyone is ok with me using a conibear, and I'm not trying to make it into a business venture so I just charge to cover my costs (which are pretty small) and a little extra for profit.

I run a lawn care business, and I don't have a problem with spending extra dollars for better equipment to do a job as best I can there, but I'm not as interested in putting money into something I don't have a need for.

Not saying the comstocks are bad, they look pretty serious.

-Abraham Lincoln
Re: My first Woodchuck [Re: Jim Comstock] #4604216
08/15/14 06:49 PM
08/15/14 06:49 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: Jim Comstock

Well said; can't use coni's on g-hog burrows here.

Last edited by Dave Schmidt; 08/15/14 06:49 PM.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: My first Woodchuck [Re: WPS] #4604821
08/16/14 06:59 AM
08/16/14 06:59 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
What size coni-bears work best for groundhogs? farm country trapping. Does anyone use an H-stand for dry land coni-bear setups?

Last edited by run; 08/16/14 07:02 AM.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: My first Woodchuck [Re: run] #4604878
08/16/14 08:34 AM
08/16/14 08:34 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa

Re: My first Woodchuck [Re: WPS] #4604904
08/16/14 09:11 AM
08/16/14 09:11 AM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Robert Waddell did some videos for Fur Takers several years ago. He showed what many that use conibears in numbers take for granted. That was placement to avoid none targets. He showed simple sets on land to avoid catching non targets with conibears. Key was the size of the body grip in relation to the best place to set it to avoid problems. He used a dog to show the response.

I tried to find. The video should be available somewhere. He did an excellent job.

Most that use body grips in numbers, use stands or supports that allow the trap to fit the situation best.

Re: My first Woodchuck [Re: WPS] #4604920
08/16/14 09:30 AM
08/16/14 09:30 AM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
Here is the link to the Trapping Chronicles episode with Robert discussing using bodygripping traps on land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uaZ_-tmMUA

Eric Arnold
Publishing Editor W.C.T. Magazine
Editor The Fur Taker Magazine
Re: My first Woodchuck [Re: WPS] #4604959
08/16/14 10:41 AM
08/16/14 10:41 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
The two things at the top of the list of considerations for trap usage are public perception along with danger, which has been covered and no less important, effectiveness of the device, catch / loss or miss ratio. In nearly 50 years of using conibears it seems that sprung traps are in the mix, not all the time or a lot of the time, but sometimes, for whatever the reason. When they are sprung, it can be the targetted animal and the beginnings of a nightmare with a wised up animal, no matter what the critter is. As anyone in the business knows, there is just about no room for error in nuisance work without running into negative numbers quickly, in extra unplanned trips costing in time and fuel.

With that said, a double door wire triggered trap functions much like a conibear with a deeply recessed trigger. On the other hand, the conibear is on a plane, a flat surface that springs outward, reaching away from center to catch the animal with the possibility of a spring actually pushing an animal out of a trap as it fires. The opposite it true of the cage trap with doors outstretched that actually push an animal to center into the catch box as the trap fires. My experience over the past 4+ years with cages shows sprung traps to be very low, lower than a conibear and when they are sprung it can usually be attributable to an intended non-targetted animal. In a nutshell, though cages are large and require a larger investment, they are not a lesser device, but have outperformed any other device I have used.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread