ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Your go to groundhog bait/lure #4609217
08/19/14 12:03 AM
08/19/14 12:03 AM
Tama country IA
1st RiverRat Offline OP
trapper
1st RiverRat  Offline OP
trapper

Tama country IA
Yes we all know positive sets rule but there are times when they are not possible to make. Whats your # 1 bait and lure ?

Adam Utterback
Re: Your go to groundhog bait/lure [Re: 1st RiverRat] #4609392
08/19/14 07:30 AM
08/19/14 07:30 AM
Tug Hill, New York
A
Albert Burns Offline
trapper
Albert Burns  Offline
trapper
A

Tug Hill, New York
We use quite a bit of Jameson's woodchuck baits and trailing scents in those situations. They will all work. I have good success this time of year using some type of melon, or even just watermelon Rhine for bait. I also use a lot of Broccoli, with a clean,large size coon cage, by taking it and suspending it in the rear of the cage using tie wire, up above the treadle where the woodchucks can see it. Then smear some lure on it and use LTS trailing scent into the cage. Even though you cannot make a positive set, you still need to be on the correct locations. It seems like at the end of summer, and for the next month or so,all the stupid woodchucks have already been captured, and you get to deal with the educated ones.

Re: Your go to groundhog bait/lure [Re: 1st RiverRat] #4609399
08/19/14 07:43 AM
08/19/14 07:43 AM
Woodhull, IL
O
opie28 Offline
trapper
opie28  Offline
trapper
O

Woodhull, IL
Granny Smith apple hung in the back of the cage. I grind about 1/2 into the wire and let it fall to the bottom for smell
and hang the rest. Sometimes will use On Target Hog Juice in the hanging apple for some extra smell. Like Albert said
make sure that your trap is clean. If it smells like coon forget it. If you can use a trap that has already caught a groundhog
in it all the better.

Mark
M. Bethell Wildlife Control
Re: Your go to groundhog bait/lure [Re: 1st RiverRat] #4614453
08/22/14 08:48 AM
08/22/14 08:48 AM
N Central Iowa 40+
iayogi17 Offline
trapper
iayogi17  Offline
trapper

N Central Iowa 40+
fresh bait apple, cabbage, or melon. dry bait I like a fancy rabbit food (sold at Walmart) strong smell of alfalfa and timothy grass

Brad Mohr
Re: Your go to groundhog bait/lure [Re: 1st RiverRat] #4615760
08/22/14 11:28 PM
08/22/14 11:28 PM
Tama country IA
1st RiverRat Offline OP
trapper
1st RiverRat  Offline OP
trapper

Tama country IA
I forgot about that rabbit bait. You showed it to me a few years ago. Thanks for reminding me.

Adam Utterback
Re: Your go to groundhog bait/lure [Re: 1st RiverRat] #4615988
08/23/14 08:13 AM
08/23/14 08:13 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
Ditto with what has been said. I used apples for years with good results, mackintosh, didn't seem to do as well with delicious, melon too. I ran a wire or stick through a slice or two of apple and kept it off the ground so the ants would not find it as fast which added a good visual. I also smeared a slice on the cage entrance, mashed it into the wires. Liked to set late in the day so the bait was fresh for at least that evening and the next morning in hot weather. They do like broccoli because I had a mishap with a small one at the house. He was missing in action from a cobbled up cage not far from the garden. My eyes went right to the broccoli first where I found him standing and destroying plant #2. Chased him down a very small hole, then set a tunnel trap for squirrels. He ate no more broccoli.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread