ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Bats in an attic? #4760976
11/24/14 11:40 PM
11/24/14 11:40 PM
North Branch MN
L
Lundy Offline OP
trapper
Lundy  Offline OP
trapper
L

North Branch MN
I got a call today from a construction firm. They replaced the roof this Fall, sucked out the insulation and started putting in chutes. Four Bats came out of the soffit area and started dive bombing the workers. How would you guy's handle this?

I didn't look at the site and gave advice to try to work around them.

Re: Bats in an attic? [Re: Lundy] #4761701
11/25/14 02:22 PM
11/25/14 02:22 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Lundy,

If I'm reading this right they are outside the house flying around near them? Ultimately as everyone knows they aren't trying to attack
them, however guys of any size I've seen dive for cover even from a 12-30 gram bat whizzing past their heads. On a ladder this could be
a bad deal so my greatest advice would be to let the guy who understands the bats are curious and trying to determine what is happening
to go up the ladder closest to these areas.

Ultimately as well that they shouldn't try to seal out/in the bats from that soffit area and involve someone like yourself or another excluder
that you'd recommend in the area to resolve the colony in the house should the folks desire who own the place.

Ladder safety would be the big one for me in terms of them falling off the roof by being scared of the bats.

Am I on point with the issue?

Re: Bats in an attic? [Re: Lundy] #4762284
11/25/14 08:53 PM
11/25/14 08:53 PM
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
It would help to be more specific on the time. Did this happen when they were doing the work in the fall when bats were still active, or did they disrupt the bats during the hibernation period (current)? Either way, sounds like the homeowners need to line up a spring exclusion. Doing a detailed inspection now would be helpful regarding pricing the job, as long as there is no snow or ice on the structure.

Ron Scheller

Re: Bats in an attic? [Re: Lundy] #4762801
11/26/14 12:40 AM
11/26/14 12:40 AM
North Branch MN
L
Lundy Offline OP
trapper
Lundy  Offline OP
trapper
L

North Branch MN
Ron, sorry I wasn't more specific on the situation, the Bats are active inside the attic. We have had below freezing temps for a couple of weeks, even dipping into the teens and we got 12 inches of snow. They called several companies, I was one, somebody else was going to look at it, I told the caller, I would have to wait for Spring, I suggested they try to cover the Bats, temporarily, while they blew in insulation, then let them hibernate until Spring.
If the Bats are caught, they would need to either be killed or overwintered by someone. I worked for an insulation company for almost a year so I know what the work is like. I probably will not hear the outcome of this. I am wondering what should/could be done in this type of situation. They can't leave the attic without insulation. They didn't know the Bats were inside the house until they started prepping to re-blow insulation. This is a rare situation but I know it's not the first.

Re: Bats in an attic? [Re: Lundy] #4762840
11/26/14 01:37 AM
11/26/14 01:37 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Lundy,

If folks end up in this situation it would be good if they could get a Rehabber that could overwinter but that involves catching them too and unless they are all easy to catch (in full torpor) that might be too kick trouble for them to go through. If the "r" value isn't going to change there is a decent chance they'd be fine until a spring exclusion.

Just a thought...

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread