ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
State Regulations for Exclusion Work #4815974
12/24/14 03:22 PM
12/24/14 03:22 PM
Mass.
T
Trapper Don Offline OP
trapper
Trapper Don  Offline OP
trapper
T

Mass.
I thought this would be an interesting line of talk. I see some training for Wildlife Control Operators that offer exclusion at seminars and also National certificates and so forth. I have sat through may of these and learned from the best along the way.
Beside having a Mass. Problem Animal Control permit, I also hold a Construction Supervisor License (un-restricted). That means I can do structural work on wood, masonry and steel buildings. So I wondered what the state reg's were for doing exclusion. It turns out that our wildlife division said we are legal to seal entry holes in houses, like squirrel, bats and others. Interesting that they are not the authority to grant that permission. For anyone in Mass. to do any kind of work on a structure including sealing for wildlife, you need a HIC license (Home Improvement Contractors). That is regulated by the state Bureau of Standards. A contract with very specific set of requirements is needed and a permit from the local Building code dept. is needed also. Things like using a metal brake and installing flashing to fascia boards, using foam insulation or caulking, Insulations removal and replacement all require that permit. I am sure that most WCOs don't either. I also know that no training from out there ever offered this info.
So my question is: what are the state regulations where you live?
Merry Christmas
Don LaFountain

Re: State Regulations for Exclusion Work [Re: Trapper Don] #4815990
12/24/14 03:27 PM
12/24/14 03:27 PM
Mass.
T
Trapper Don Offline OP
trapper
Trapper Don  Offline OP
trapper
T

Mass.
I forgot something. It has to do with down payments on this work also. You can only ask for 10% down if you want to be paid in less then 30 days. If you ask for more, the client can have up to 45 days to pay.
Don

Re: State Regulations for Exclusion Work [Re: Trapper Don] #4816217
12/24/14 05:35 PM
12/24/14 05:35 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
California we can't do more than $500 worth of work without a contractors license

Re: State Regulations for Exclusion Work [Re: Trapper Don] #4816243
12/24/14 05:49 PM
12/24/14 05:49 PM
massachusetts
S
swampdonkey Offline
trapper
swampdonkey  Offline
trapper
S

massachusetts
Don't know many people willing to do a bat job for that price !

Joe Robidoux
Re: State Regulations for Exclusion Work [Re: Trapper Don] #4816577
12/24/14 08:37 PM
12/24/14 08:37 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
Separate contract for each primary and secondary entrance. Another contract to remove the bat cone....

Re: State Regulations for Exclusion Work [Re: Trapper Don] #4816788
12/24/14 10:10 PM
12/24/14 10:10 PM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
In New Hampshire, only plumbers,electricians and asbestos abatement contractors need any sort of license. General construction contractors, which all exclusion work would come under, requires no license of any kind.

Re: State Regulations for Exclusion Work [Re: Trapper Don] #4817067
12/25/14 01:00 AM
12/25/14 01:00 AM
Oregon
P
PWC Offline
trapper
PWC  Offline
trapper
P

Oregon
In Oregon almost (not all) of the exclusion work, bat work, etc. Is done illegally.

Unbeknown to most wildlife contractors are a separate set of rules and legislation regarding home repairs and general construction work in Oregon. You have to be licensed as a general or specialty contractor to do these type of jobs here legally.

There are significant costs associated with obtaining and maintaining a contractors license in Oregon. Insurance requirements, bonding, continuing education, etc. Even advertising for exclusion work without the proper license here is a crime.

Re: State Regulations for Exclusion Work [Re: Trapper Don] #4817546
12/25/14 12:04 PM
12/25/14 12:04 PM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
Don,

We try and bring up this subject at all of our hands-on training sessions. The short answer as you know is that while most wildlife or fish & game departments have authority over the wildlife, they do not have authority over any man-made environments those animals use. We've been trying to compile a licensing list for years with very little success as I commonly received the response from building inspectors/regulators of it's best to keep working under the radar for the small amount being charged versus stirring the pot. But in certain cases you'd be required to have the wildlife control license, construction permit, insulation license, and remediation license along with certifications such as OSHA 10, confined entry, Hazwoper, EPA lead removal, fall prevention, etc. on top of the state business license and BWC. I remember one individual in particular who told me he'd have to enforce any question he answered and suggested I not ask any more questions (advice which I greatly accepted).

What I've found is that Ohio seems to require licenses based on the county you're working in (if there is a statewide construction license, all of the contractors I've spoken with don't seem to know about it) while Michigan appears to be one of the states that seems to have a very cut and dry definition with dollar amount and definition of work. Georgia has a bachelor in construction management and/or experience requirement, however, that seems to be targeted more at special construction that most operators would never get into.

In almost all cases, there is a minimum of one state regulatory authority dealing with man-made environments with the norm being more based on what is being touched. Sometimes it is based on how much is being charged, sometimes it is where the work is being done, and at other times it will be based on the effect your actions have (i.e., bat exclusion may also excludes rodents which may require a structural pest control license) or combination of these and other rules.

Also, don't forget that a lot of municipalities have additional restrictions so just because you are licensed for the state/county does not always mean you don't need to be "licensed" for that municipality. And if the environment your working on is classified as "historical", it can be it's own nightmare.

Eric Arnold
Publishing Editor W.C.T. Magazine
Editor The Fur Taker Magazine
Re: State Regulations for Exclusion Work [Re: Trapper Don] #4817829
12/25/14 03:34 PM
12/25/14 03:34 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Don, I think sqs pretty much covered the Wisconsin regs also. Even if there were some small violation, I'm sure the only way a

citation would be issued is if there was a complaint and I don't know who would do the complaining. The customer doesn't care and the

contract construction people are darn glad that they don't have to mess with that stuff.

Re: State Regulations for Exclusion Work [Re: Trapper Don] #4818701
12/25/14 11:45 PM
12/25/14 11:45 PM
Oregon
P
PWC Offline
trapper
PWC  Offline
trapper
P

Oregon
The best way, is the right way, and that is whatever your state requires to be 100% legal and above board for the work you do.

Gray areas, and hoping you get by when you know you are in the wrong, are not good business policies, IMO.

Re: State Regulations for Exclusion Work [Re: Trapper Don] #4818725
12/25/14 11:55 PM
12/25/14 11:55 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
PWC, you are right of course but going back to your preceding post, I'm really glad that I don't live in Oregon.

Re: State Regulations for Exclusion Work [Re: Trapper Don] #4818932
12/26/14 02:07 AM
12/26/14 02:07 AM
Oregon
P
PWC Offline
trapper
PWC  Offline
trapper
P

Oregon
Paul,

We have to be one of the most overregulated states out there.

We have atrocious life altering penalties to go along with our regulations too.

I have lived in this liberal, protectionist environment so long I cant even imagine what it must be like to live in a state that wasn't so anti business, or wasn't against using natural resources.

Re: State Regulations for Exclusion Work [Re: Trapper Don] #4819306
12/26/14 11:55 AM
12/26/14 11:55 AM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
I'm often stunned when hearing about all the laws and regulations in other states. I'm very lucky to live where I do.

It makes me nervous and a little sad when I hear other ADC guys here in favor of even more regulation.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread