ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
why do we do what we do? #4936656
02/26/15 09:27 PM
02/26/15 09:27 PM
Manchester, CT
K
Keith J. Ferry Offline OP
trapper
Keith J. Ferry  Offline OP
trapper
K

Manchester, CT
As I was up on a snow covered roof today, setting traps for flyers I looked far below at my truck below me and wondered why would anyone want to do this job. Before I started, I saw a news clip from a local station interviewing a local guy doing adc. A week later I saw CNN interviewing a guy from NY doing the same thing. I did some research took my class, exam, got my license and took off from there. For me it seemed like a perfect fit for my life. As a child, I always had a fascination with wildlife, and it just felt "right" to work with those animals that I chased around in the woods as a kid and could now make money doing it. Why did you choose ADC as a career?

Re: why do we do what we do? [Re: Keith J. Ferry] #4936992
02/27/15 12:04 AM
02/27/15 12:04 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Great question Keith and very timely. I am going to ask my oral surgeon the same question on Tuesday. Oh, I know that a dentist makes

big bucks but so does everyone else in the health field. So why would you choose to sweat over extracting teeth all day? As far as

why I chose ADC work, its because I really got tired of losing good jobs to plant closings, cut backs, moving, etc. I was a fair fur

trapper and I figured if I didn't make it as an ADC guy, at least it was my own fault. I never imagined in my wildest dreams that my

goofy idea would become a company that supports so many friends and family members. And to be perfectly honest, my families support,

especially my wife's, is what made it all work. Besides, I still love it!

Re: why do we do what we do? [Re: Keith J. Ferry] #4937025
02/27/15 12:20 AM
02/27/15 12:20 AM
Killingly, CT
Brian Mongeau Offline
trapper
Brian Mongeau  Offline
trapper

Killingly, CT
I wanted my own business for years. I also wanted to work with wildlife, due to being a hunter and fisherman. As a kid I was one that would prop a box up with a stick and hide around the corner waiting for a bird. I found wildlife facinating my entire life. At the time, I didn't know how to put business and wildlife together, until a (former) friend that worked at a pest control co. asked me to be a trapper for his area. I jumped in both feet. I didn't know it was even an occupation. I also hated my other job (which I still do part time). 16+ years later, I still love it. Hate the paperwork and tax stuff, and delinquent customers that I have to take to court, but overall it's a great job. Work outside all year, make decent money, answer only to mysel....er, my wife. lol. Meet a lot of nice people. Wish I had started 10 yrs earlier.

Re: why do we do what we do? [Re: Keith J. Ferry] #4937063
02/27/15 12:53 AM
02/27/15 12:53 AM
Chocowinity, NC
Phil Nichols Offline
trapper
Phil Nichols  Offline
trapper

Chocowinity, NC
Some days up on the way hi roof are better than others. For me it was the sense of finally knowing, to quote Steve Martin in The Jerk, my "purpose in life." Freedom, happiness & peace come with the territory.

Re: why do we do what we do? [Re: Keith J. Ferry] #4937069
02/27/15 12:57 AM
02/27/15 12:57 AM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
Wanted to go into business, something outdoorsman related, manufacturing mostly. Kicked around bow buildling, fishing lure maker, bait maker, gunsmith, fly tier, (none of these things can I competently do, thought about learning them though). I just wanted something related to the outdoor world.

I had trapped a few skunks for my grandpa, and then a few for a lady we know who manage a few houses. One day I was sitting in a marriage counseling session with of course my wife. She said she would support me in something new, then SHE suggested trapping. I hadnt really thought about it before that . Realizing the area didnt have competition, it was a market I thought I could corner. I jumped on it hard when she said that, license, isnurance, everything. I am only a few months in but already had to quit the dayjob. who knows where it will go next.

Re: why do we do what we do? [Re: Keith J. Ferry] #4937077
02/27/15 01:06 AM
02/27/15 01:06 AM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
I choose it to kill beaver,,,,,,, that was ALL i wanted to do..........I was sick of GC.......

THEN,,,,,,someone called for coon and i was able to use my construction skills as well/////////(and not work hard)

Then it was Bats,,,,,,NO BRAINIER,,,(not work hard),,,30 years roofing/hands on general contracting...........

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: why do we do what we do? [Re: Keith J. Ferry] #4937239
02/27/15 08:58 AM
02/27/15 08:58 AM
kent county, MI
B
bluebill Offline
trapper
bluebill  Offline
trapper
B

kent county, MI
I was in the RV business and got tired of the stress. In 2009 I accepted a job in Namibia to run an 85000 acre ranch and apply for a professional hunters license. That job fell thru when the Namibian govt wouln't give me a long term work permit. In 2010 I started my ADC business and wish I had done it 25 years ago.

Re: why do we do what we do? [Re: Keith J. Ferry] #4937308
02/27/15 10:00 AM
02/27/15 10:00 AM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
I'm always looking for ways to make some money.

I had been trapping squirrels and skunks for folks as a hobby for a few years when someone told me that other people were charging good money for what I was doing for free.

smile

Re: why do we do what we do? [Re: Keith J. Ferry] #4939292
02/28/15 02:29 PM
02/28/15 02:29 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
I have chronic Lyme disease and this past summer is when they determined that I would probably never be healed so my then 13 year old son who has been my fishing and hunting buddy for his whole life was depressed as I had already missed a few hunting and fishing trips we had planned , due to illness

So I asked him this past summer. "What do you really want to do with me while I am able". He said "dad I really want to learn to trap". So the national convention was in Escanaba this year so we went for three days and learned and bought stuff. Then in August we went to the state cove took in Eavart. Same thing learned and bought.

Well we had a blast, catching yotes, fox, coons beaver rats mink. Well my wife was talking to the ADC guy that contracts to her place of employment. And he explained that the real money is in ADC not fur. So I did an investigation and the DNR says my permit was mailed this week. So here I go....... My son can work with me in the summer and we can chase fur in the winter.

So expect a lot of dumb questions from me.

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: why do we do what we do? [Re: Keith J. Ferry] #4939423
02/28/15 04:08 PM
02/28/15 04:08 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Dumb questions are what we live for, so let me ask one first. What are the symptoms and the problems of chronic Lyme's disease? ( I

never knew it could be chronic )

Re: why do we do what we do? [Re: Keith J. Ferry] #4939434
02/28/15 04:18 PM
02/28/15 04:18 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Me neither, I heard it was nasty hard to cure unless caught quick.
Just Googled it: Apparently,
Lyme disease is a functional failure of your Auto-Immune system, unless caught quickly and treated, It will become chronic.

Last edited by BigBob; 02/28/15 04:30 PM.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: why do we do what we do? [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4939699
02/28/15 07:25 PM
02/28/15 07:25 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
I have had it for 4 1/2 years. The last nueroligist that I seem said I am 1'of 12 people in the county to have all of the following : severe muscle pain, severe join pain, nerves in fingers and toes produce severe pain like being crushed, trouble sleeping but fatigued. Loss of appetite Mental issues that are hard to describe. Now I get treated with antibiotics for 3 months straight the. Go off until symptoms return. Take 8,000 to 10,000 times the daily recommended vitamin C. I've had experimental UV treatments to my blood. Lots of fun

Re: why do we do what we do? [Re: Keith J. Ferry] #4939889
02/28/15 08:52 PM
02/28/15 08:52 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Now I'm sorry I asked. From your writing, you seem to be keeping your chin up. Hope they find a total cure soon. In the meantime, ask

away. We'll help all we can.

Re: why do we do what we do? [Re: Keith J. Ferry] #4940032
02/28/15 10:07 PM
02/28/15 10:07 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Yea. I've kinda learned to cope with it. When I'm 30 days or so into treatment I feel feel good. Most if trapping season I was good. Been back on meds for about two weeks so the good times will return soon

Re: why do we do what we do? [Re: BigBob] #4941183
03/01/15 04:06 PM
03/01/15 04:06 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Originally Posted By: BigBob
Me neither, I heard it was nasty hard to cure unless caught quick.
Just Googled it: Apparently,
Lyme disease is a functional failure of your Auto-Immune system, unless caught quickly and treated, It will become chronic.

And if you get the wrong treatment like I did, it some how convinces your body that it is not there so your body quits fighting it

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread