ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: post your mole, vole, or gopher carnage shots here [Re: 1st RiverRat] #4994616
04/04/15 01:48 PM
04/04/15 01:48 PM
South Texas
A
Aggie73 Offline
trapper
Aggie73  Offline
trapper
A

South Texas
Adam - that was my first attempt at tweaking my OOS traps gleaned from this forum I'm sure. Then, I went offset:

All of this was when I had more time on my hands. Still had issues with rust on trip rods and pans. On open surface/foraging runs, I now use Bud 25's Modified OOS. Money well spent!

"Happier than a gopher in wet sand."
Re: post your mole, vole, or gopher carnage shots here [Re: TRapper] #4994692
04/04/15 02:50 PM
04/04/15 02:50 PM
England. UK
R
roe Offline
trapper
roe  Offline
trapper
R

England. UK
I tell you ....if you guys try talpex traps you won't look at an out-o-sight trap ever again!! They are smaller, lighter, easier to set by hand and they don't need any adjustment....they really are superb.

What doesn't kill us makes us stranger...
Re: post your mole, vole, or gopher carnage shots here [Re: Getting There] #4994697
04/04/15 02:52 PM
04/04/15 02:52 PM
England. UK
R
roe Offline
trapper
roe  Offline
trapper
R

England. UK
Originally Posted By: Getting There
Interesting, How will this same field look after it is mowed or have the boils knock down? Hard to believe that only 8 to 12 moles did all this damage. But not many woods in the area. Thanks for posting.

I will take a pic of the fields when i next go. I expect that there will be one or two moles in each field that I have to trap. I think the farmer will be delighted, he better be.

I learnt a long time ago that one mole, left to his own devices, will create a (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) of alot of mess....

Re: post your mole, vole, or gopher carnage shots here [Re: roe] #4994959
04/04/15 06:30 PM
04/04/15 06:30 PM
South Texas
A
Aggie73 Offline
trapper
Aggie73  Offline
trapper
A

South Texas
Roe - while paying my dues and learning how to catch "The Little Gentleman in the Black Velvet Waistcoat," I purchased both the Flatpack Co.'s version of the Duffus/Half-Barrel and the Talpex mole traps. I did catch moles with the Talpex-type trap but also had many more misses than catches. Understand that I'm trapping in sandy soils and these Michael Phelps' rascals can swim under and around my traps as soon as their whiskers touch metal parts. Or, so it seemed. Also know that the majority of mole runs in my part of the world are along the surface (foraging/feeding runs). They will only occasionally throw mounds in our so called winter (less than 6 weeks sometimes) and during the heat of our summers and usually droughty conditions when their food sources also head south and deeper in our soils. I first speculated that the Talpex tines were not long enough in my situation compared to the OOS.

In reality, I probably didn't devote enough time to the Talpex and got more comfortable/successful with the Modified OOS and using Steve's Trapline trap (upside down). Still working on learning the Half-Barrel trap but have the same issues with my moles having the Michael Phelps' Syndrome when using this trap.

Re: post your mole, vole, or gopher carnage shots here [Re: TRapper] #4994994
04/04/15 06:48 PM
04/04/15 06:48 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
What holds the Steve A. traps in place if sat upside down? It seam as it would be at the wrong angle

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: post your mole, vole, or gopher carnage shots here [Re: Getting There] #4995327
04/04/15 09:37 PM
04/04/15 09:37 PM
South Texas
A
Aggie73 Offline
trapper
Aggie73  Offline
trapper
A

South Texas
GT - We discussed this on 3/10/15. Go back 3 weeks ago and to Page 3 under SUBJECT "Gophers." It's a mixed discussion on gopher vs. mole trapping.

Re: post your mole, vole, or gopher carnage shots here [Re: TRapper] #4995680
04/05/15 04:47 AM
04/05/15 04:47 AM
England. UK
R
roe Offline
trapper
roe  Offline
trapper
R

England. UK
Aggie, correct me if I'm wrong, but is that trap in the pic not a talpex?

I know what you mean about the surface runs. A nightmare. But i do stand by what I said and i think the talpex would benefit you guys.

Here's one thing to think about: If you set the talpex correctly the mole should never really come into contact with metal so it shouldnt be able to swim under the trap....the idea is to block the run so Mr Mole gets caught as he shovels the debris out of the way.,..

Re: post your mole, vole, or gopher carnage shots here [Re: roe] #4995985
04/05/15 10:30 AM
04/05/15 10:30 AM
South Texas
A
Aggie73 Offline
trapper
Aggie73  Offline
trapper
A

South Texas
Roe - You are correct. It is The Flatpack Co.'s version of it, I think. Although I'm happy with the modified OOS I use, I'd try a true Talpex trap just for grins if it were available in the USA. I just surmised that the shorter length of the catch tines on this particular trap was the cause of my misses in my situation. I also use the Trapline Mole Trap along foundations, sidewalks/driveways, fences, etc. where the use of the scissor trap is not feasible. There were earlier discussions on the setting/bedding of this trap along with the "dig-unders" in sandy soils when he senses the trap.

I've had success in placing the offset pan of the modified OOS just at the base of the mole run or slightly above it, then back-filling. Not too sure if he senses the metal or not. I just want to feel that "tug" when I'm pulling a trap that's been set off!!!

Mole-catchers over here are waiting for the day that Steve Albano, or someone else, produces a Stainless Steel scissor trap that encompasses all of the features of a modified OOS and Talpex! Wishful thinking, huh?

Re: post your mole, vole, or gopher carnage shots here [Re: TRapper] #4996150
04/05/15 12:09 PM
04/05/15 12:09 PM
Central IA
TRapper Offline OP
trapper
TRapper  Offline OP
trapper

Central IA
Been settin oos for 12 years and highly effective....i do modify my traps with a couple bends in the pan but over 8,500 moles have told me i should keep using the oos

Re: post your mole, vole, or gopher carnage shots here [Re: Aggie73] #4996161
04/05/15 12:17 PM
04/05/15 12:17 PM
Central IA
TRapper Offline OP
trapper
TRapper  Offline OP
trapper

Central IA
Originally Posted By: Aggie73
I also use the Trapline Mole Trap along foundations, sidewalks/driveways, fences, etc. where the use of the scissor trap is not feasible. There were earlier discussions on the setting/bedding of this trap along with the "dig-unders" in sandy soils when he senses the trap.

I've had success in placing the offset pan of the modified OOS just at the base of the mole run or slightly above it, then back-filling. Not too sure if he senses the metal or not. I just want to feel that "tug" when I'm pulling a trap that's been set off!!!

Mole-catchers over here are waiting for the day that Steve Albano, or someone else, produces a Stainless Steel scissor trap that encompasses all of the features of a modified OOS and Talpex! Wishful thinking, huh?

Alot of trap avoidance with oos is more in the way you set the trap and the way you make your mound in center of the trap that your pan lays on...i bend my pans so that it exactly matches my mound i create

Also i catch alot of moles against sidewalks...foundations with the oos....there really is no need to have more than one kind of trap to catch moles....the oos is the most versatile

Re: post your mole, vole, or gopher carnage shots here [Re: TRapper] #4996285
04/05/15 02:22 PM
04/05/15 02:22 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
Is there a how to thread on modifying the oos

Re: post your mole, vole, or gopher carnage shots here [Re: Aggie73] #4997053
04/06/15 04:11 AM
04/06/15 04:11 AM
England. UK
R
roe Offline
trapper
roe  Offline
trapper
R

England. UK
Originally Posted By: Aggie73
Roe - You are correct. It is The Flatpack Co.'s version of it, I think. Although I'm happy with the modified OOS I use, I'd try a true Talpex trap just for grins if it were available in the USA. I just surmised that the shorter length of the catch tines on this particular trap was the cause of my misses in my situation. I also use the Trapline Mole Trap along foundations, sidewalks/driveways, fences, etc. where the use of the scissor trap is not feasible. There were earlier discussions on the setting/bedding of this trap along with the "dig-unders" in sandy soils when he senses the trap.

Aggie, would you mind me asking in what scenario the misses were. had the trap been sprung, but no mole in it? Thanks.

Re: post your mole, vole, or gopher carnage shots here [Re: roe] #4997426
04/06/15 12:20 PM
04/06/15 12:20 PM
South Texas
A
Aggie73 Offline
trapper
Aggie73  Offline
trapper
A

South Texas
Roe - It has been 3 years or so when I was experimenting with this trap, among other types (Trapline, Duffus/Half-barrel, and the original OOS) due to moles digging under my sets. Moles can nearly "swim" in the sandy soils where I trap. Steve Albano, himself, even admits to using the OOS in sandy soils.

I followed the tips and techniques offered here on this forum when I first started experimenting with the Talpex-type trap. I'd cut out a section of turf/soil the length and width of the trap, compact the soil in the cut-out section with a wooden mallet head, place another compacted piece of soil as a bump or block under the trip pan, then backfill the cut-out section (bath tub). Some trappers in the States do not "bath tub" their sets but sink there OOS traps directly into the run. Understand that the above technique is used almost exclusively for the surface/foraging runs created by our more common subspecies of mole, Eastern Mole. I use the Trapline mole trap when they are tunneling deeper and in all other circumstances.

I did not use this Talpex-trap enough time to learn its proper use as mentioned in previous posts and is now a moot point for me. I use the modified OOS trap (Elite Mole Upgrade) and have very few misses. I'm also waiting to see what Steve Albano has to off in his new trap. He came on this forum nearly a year ago and TEASED us with mention of his working on a new trap. Come on Steve, we're waiting!!! Cheers Roe

Re: post your mole, vole, or gopher carnage shots here [Re: TRapper] #4997809
04/06/15 04:57 PM
04/06/15 04:57 PM
England. UK
R
roe Offline
trapper
roe  Offline
trapper
R

England. UK
Well Aggie, I think you, and many other molers, would benefit from the talpex. It is important to false fire the talpex in heavy soil or clay, and i set mine a little different. I do not put a plug of soil under the trigger, i only backfill the run a little, the rest i 'cap off' with squeezed handfuls of soil, so that the mole is well in the trap before he triggers it. A mole should not be able to swim under any talpex if it is set right IMO. In sandy soil i use them too. I have very few misses and i do catch many, many moles in a year.

Re: post your mole, vole, or gopher carnage shots here [Re: TRapper] #4998724
04/06/15 11:34 PM
04/06/15 11:34 PM
Central IA
TRapper Offline OP
trapper
TRapper  Offline OP
trapper

Central IA
I always false fire my oos

Re: post your mole, vole, or gopher carnage shots here [Re: TRapper] #4998876
04/07/15 07:12 AM
04/07/15 07:12 AM
New Hampshire
Coondog6 Offline
trapper
Coondog6  Offline
trapper

New Hampshire
Got my first mole job. Photos to follow.

Chuck

The measure of a man is what he will do when he knows he won't get caught.

Coondog6
www.BestWayWildlife.com
Re: post your mole, vole, or gopher carnage shots here [Re: TRapper] #4998934
04/07/15 08:21 AM
04/07/15 08:21 AM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
I have been getting a few call, but it is still to early in my area. The moles worked under the snow but are still not showing any new activity yet. In a couple week things will start up.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: post your mole, vole, or gopher carnage shots here [Re: TRapper] #4999033
04/07/15 09:46 AM
04/07/15 09:46 AM
Central IA
TRapper Offline OP
trapper
TRapper  Offline OP
trapper

Central IA
I am on vacation this week and kinda hate it....i already got 5 new lawns to set up when i get back plus a big vole job.....so looks like will be buyin a couple dozen more oos

Re: post your mole, vole, or gopher carnage shots here [Re: roe] #5001038
04/08/15 01:10 PM
04/08/15 01:10 PM
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Nic Pallo Offline
trapper
Nic Pallo  Offline
trapper

Finger Lakes Region, NY
Originally Posted By: roe
Regarding the above photo, where would you guys set your traps when there's a mole hill every yard or less!

Not sure, probably look for freshest mounds and go from there...
How did you pull it off?

Re: post your mole, vole, or gopher carnage shots here [Re: Nic Pallo] #5002524
04/09/15 01:23 PM
04/09/15 01:23 PM
England. UK
R
roe Offline
trapper
roe  Offline
trapper
R

England. UK
I set fields from the edges. You'll catch nearly every mole in that type of field from the edge as thats where they live and their travelling routes .

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread