ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Your Tip For Today #5116529
07/09/15 07:09 PM
07/09/15 07:09 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline OP
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline OP
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
One of my customers was watching a talk show today and they were discussing the removal of wildlife pests. Here is what she learned

and I told her that I would definitely pass it on to all of you. ( She laughed because she thought I was kidding but she doesn't

know me as well as you guys do ) Here is your ultra-valuable tip for today............... WHEN YOU ATTEMPT TO CAPTURE WILD ANIMALS,

DO NOT GIVE THEM NAMES. NAMING ANIMALS TENDS TO FORM AN EMOTIONAL BOND THAT IS TOO HARD TO BREAK ONCE YOU HAVE CAUGHT

THE OFFENDING ANIMAL. ( Not only that; but what if you got the sex wrong? Can you imagine some cute female raccoon going through life

with a name like Rocky? That might lead to that whole Supreme Court thing all over again for animals )

Last edited by Paul Winkelmann; 07/09/15 07:14 PM.
Re: Your Tip For Today [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5117591
07/10/15 02:40 PM
07/10/15 02:40 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
OMG!! Words to the wise.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Your Tip For Today [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5117716
07/10/15 03:48 PM
07/10/15 03:48 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
The thing about naming wildlife is funny but honestly very true in so many realms.

Homeowners who find young or injured wildlife can name things in my experience within minutes sometimes
including bats, skunks, raccoon, coyote, etc....

Always makes me laugh a little, although the point about emotional bonding is true as well, you name it and it
changes the stance, though most of you guys who grew up on a farm know that it is common to have names for
pigs, cows, etc... and still be eating them at the end of the growing season.

Just natural I suppose for humans to name animals and "beings" of all kinds.

In research we were always told not to ever name or even nickname your study animals (radio collared coyote, etc...)

In MI we used the animals frequency as their "name" however I will have to admit through the years even if you named
them after a swamp where you captured them to collar, you'd eventually have some tie to that animal mentally.

Had a coyote radio frequency is still in my mind to this day some 15 years later, this coyote lived in the middle of jack
pine country that was heavily hounded, trapped, called, etc....

We would roll up to check location and record data and during winter months was common to be standing a few yards from h
hunters with hounds and we'd converse.

That female coyote probably saw more hounds than most and we had it on air for 4 years before she was finally harvested
one winter. We knew the guy whose son had finally caught up to her and we shared the bio data with him and his dad in terms
of weight, home range size and ultimately age when we received cementum analysis back.

That coyote was 9 years old and a prime size and condition. That one and many others stick in my head even if only "named"
a radio frequency.

What talk show was discussing that? I'm curious to see the video, odd tip to give folks thats for sure.

Re: Your Tip For Today [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5117734
07/10/15 04:00 PM
07/10/15 04:00 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
I'm reminded of an old western movie I saw, A guy was asked what his horses name was, he replied, "I don't name nothin' I might have to eat someday".

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Your Tip For Today [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5117785
07/10/15 04:40 PM
07/10/15 04:40 PM
Lower Alabama (Daleville)
L
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Offline
"Professor"
L

Lower Alabama (Daleville)
I am easily distracted. BigBob mentioned “horses name”, this immediately made me think of a song I enjoy-“ A Horse With No Name”. Sorry for the hijack.

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread